PDA

View Full Version : I NEED AN ENGINE S60

bustur
10-13-2011, 02:46 AM
MY ENGINE THREW A ROD THRU THE BLOCK AND I'M LOOKING TO REPLACE IT. 1996 S60 @ 470 HP. SERIAL # 06RO280659 DDECIII.
IF ANYONE HAS A LEAD ON ONE PLEASE E-MAIL ME AT bill@cvmpackaging.com. I AM TALKING WITH DETROIT REMAN AND IRONMAN (PEDCO).
THANKS
BILL

ALSO WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF ANYONE HAS HEARD OF WRIST PINS IN OLDER
S60 ENGINES CAUSING PROBLEMS???
BILL

Jon Wehrenberg
10-13-2011, 07:31 AM
Bill,

You have been the victim of a problem Detroit had many years ago with pistons separating at the wrist pin. As you are well aware the results of that happening are catastrophic. Since most Series 60 engines of your vintage (mine also) were run in commercial applications Detroit stood behind them and replaced them at their expense. At the time the engines that were failing usually did so before they reached 250,000 miles so with commercial vehicles easily racking up 100,000 miles per year the problems showed up while the engines were still under warranty, and those that did not accumulate the mileage as fast were still covered after the warranty expired.

Unfortunately conversions don't get the miles of commercial vehicles so if one of them had a problem with piston separation it was many years after this problem had been dealt with and by then Detroit was not standing behind the repairs as they did in earlier years.

My free advice, worth every cent you pay for it is to reseach the problem so you can document that it was in fact an issue 14 or 15 years ago and that you need consideration from Detroit due to their faulty parts being the cause of the problem. I'm guessing you have one of the prized low mileage coaches from that vintage. I have one produced during the same period, but as I come upon 250,000 miles I am hoping mine is one that was not affected by the faulty pistons.

Gary Carmichael
10-13-2011, 07:52 AM
John, What was done by Detroit to solve the problem? and when. Thanks Gary

Jon Wehrenberg
10-13-2011, 08:29 AM
Way back when this was happening a failure as Bill experienced was catastrophic. Usually the engine block ended up with a big hole in the side so there was no repair possible. At the time Detroit was replacing engines at no cost to the owner.

I know of a Vantare conversion owner that suffered from this and he got a new engine no questioned asked. I do not know the status of his warranty or the age of his caoch because it was so long ago.

Now a decade or more later I have no clue how Detroit is handling this. One thing for sure, if the damage to the engine is as I suspect it is not repairable so a new or reman is required. FWIW, Jeff Bayley had this problem on one of his coaches and I think he waited too long after the event to get any compensation. This may not be the case with Bill.

bustur
10-18-2011, 11:56 PM
Jon,
Thanks for the info. I am going to have the engine torn down @ the Detroit Distributor here in LA. Any thoughts on specifics to look for? Will the computor show any info?
I'll let you know the outcome.
Bill

Jon Wehrenberg
10-19-2011, 07:20 AM
If the problem was piston separation at the wrist pin it will be completely obvious. I don't know if DDEC will show anything helpful.

bustur
10-19-2011, 10:58 AM
Thanks again.
Bill