PDA

View Full Version : IFS SUSPENSION....THE TRUTH

Jon Wehrenberg
10-09-2011, 10:55 AM
For quite some time we have seen posts and heard stories about POG members having their IFS suspension bushings replaced or having to do so because the bushings have failed.

Those of us who atended POG X heard the truth about IFS suspension bushings from Bill Jensen of Prevost. What he said will justify the payment of your POG dues for years to come.

It is true that after a while the bushings in the A arm(s) on coaches with IFS begin looking bad and in need of replacement. Many of you have replaced them based on their appearance and spent serious money doing so. Some of you think you are going to have to because of their appearance. Before you do, make certain you have a qualified technician check the bushings. If the pin is secure, not loose you DO NOT need to replace the A arms or the bushings. According to Bill there is a procedure for testing and the procedure does not require the bushings to look good. In fact, they tend to start to show cracks and generally look damaged, but as long as the pin in the bushing is secure and held in place they do not need to be replaced.

If you have any questions speak to a Prevost service center about this. They know the procedure for checking.

So now, even if you did not attend the rally you have information worth its weight in gold.

Sawbonz
10-10-2011, 02:13 PM
But what does information weigh??

That's a nice thing to know. I just hope I remember it the next time I hear that term!

Jon Wehrenberg
10-10-2011, 02:33 PM
Karl,

One of the strengths of POG is any questions asked almost always get an answer, and in direct opposition to what I have posted most of the time the answers are correct.

Any time a POG member has a problem or is faced with a possible service issue, posting that here is likely going to save the owner some money (that's a good thing) and help that owner know in advance the cost range and who is capable or qualified to do the work.

The only downside is sometimes the responses have more than their fair share of fertilizer.

Until an owner who is new has the experience level of some of the long term owners it is not a bad idea to check what is involved in doing service or repairs. Some have spent thousands of dollars with limited success and in the specific case of IFS bushings some have been talked into repairs that were not required.