PDA

View Full Version : The Glass Class

dalej
11-21-2006, 08:01 PM
Ray and I have talked about the subject of glass replacment. We were wondering how many of you would like to know how to, or see how to replace a windshield. You would need to have a couple of tools to do the job. I can bring the glass and the tools to POGIII. I just want to know the interest from the group. We have a long time, (but it goes fast) untill we meet in Kerrville, Texas. Nebraska plays Texas in a few weeks for the Big 12 conference by the way. I will be putting in a windshield in my coach in the next couple of days so I will post pictures. It will show the basics of it.

Jon Wehrenberg
11-21-2006, 08:20 PM
Dale, I think I wrote something up on this but did not take pictures. I think if you do this with photos it may show others who are hesitant just how easy it is. The hardest part is actually getting the glass without getting screwed. I knew I needed one so I picked up two (a spare) when I went through Jacksonville the last time.

dalej
11-21-2006, 08:23 PM
Don't go to far Jon, your name came up on this one! You are going to Kerrville aren't you?

Jon Wehrenberg
11-21-2006, 09:08 PM
Definitely going to Kerrville. I want to watch you slide that glass in.

merle&louise
11-21-2006, 11:30 PM
Dale,

Count me in:)

I have a cord that is bunching up on one of my windows, and I would like to see how to remove it and re-install it. I'm sure that I would learn how to fix it after seeing your "glass class".

Thanks for offering to do the Glass Class.:D

truk4u
11-22-2006, 08:10 AM
Dale,
Post pictures... I have a top glass cracked and hope I don't have to get to it from over the driver position inside.

dalej
11-22-2006, 09:47 AM
Tom you can change it from the outside. Are you going to do it before April?

MangoMike
11-22-2006, 12:58 PM
Dale,

What i've read from Jon it sounds like even a mango man couid attempt this change so I'm in for a demo in Kerrville. If you attempt before POG III please some pixs - I know my time is coming.

MIke

dalej
11-22-2006, 09:06 PM
The weather in Nebraska was in the 70's today so I went out and changed the drivers windshield. I had just changed it two weeks ago. We are going to have this as a learning session (Glass Class) at POGIII if Ray and the boys say so. In the mean time you can go to http://midwestleds.com/WinshieldReplacement06.htm to see how I do it! If you have any questions call me. It takes about one hour to put a glass in. I do it by myself, I think it would be better if someone held the end while you start the glass.

Oh I almost forgot.....HAPPY THANKGIVING, we have so much to be thankfull for.

MangoMike
11-22-2006, 09:39 PM
Dale,

Great Job on the HOW TO: Thanks for taking the time to make it happen. If I do need to tackle the job it'll be with new found confidence.

MIke

Jon Wehrenberg
11-23-2006, 07:28 AM
I found that rather than trying to pry the glass out, after I pulled the cord out, I went inside and pushed out on the top corner of the glass at the curved end. It moved out easily about 1" or so, and at that point I could just grab it from the outside and pull it out.

Great job Dale.

dalej
11-23-2006, 08:21 AM
Jon, I didn't want Tom to think he had to access the inside of the coach to do glass. He has to do one of the top windshields. I thought at POG we could go over some of the little hints.

truk4u
11-23-2006, 09:05 AM
Dale,
Great job, you are the man.;) I'm not sure if I can wait until POG3, but if I don't get it done, I can be the guinea pig. I assume the tops are like the lowers, left and right are the same glass? Sounds like Prevost is the place to buy the glass.

dalej
11-23-2006, 09:15 AM
Tom if you need to order the tools let me know. Price them around and then call or email me, I'm selling them at cost to POGers. I would like to deliver them to Kerrville but if someone needs them sooner let me know.

Petervs
11-26-2006, 02:50 PM
Ray and I have talked about the subject of glass replacment. We were wondering how many of you would like to know how to, or see how to replace a windshield. You would need to have a couple of tools to do the job. I can bring the glass and the tools to POGIII. I just want to know the interest from the group. We have a long time, (but it goes fast) untill we meet in Kerrville, Texas. Nebraska plays Texas in a few weeks for the Big 12 conference by the way. I will be putting in a windshield in my coach in the next couple of days so I will post pictures. It will show the basics of it.

Well, this is a very nice step by step guide to changing the windshield, thanks for posting it. I would like to add a couple of thoughts.

1. I recently shopped around for a replacement windshield glass and found the best price was direct from Prevost. They pay the shipping and the net was $179. Amazingly the one pane of glass comes by Yellow Freight from Quebec to Washington state in the same huge and well made box as is shown in the photos here. It took about 2 weeks for the box to arrive.

2. Last year I had the drivers windshield shatter by a very small bird while driving at about 55 mph. It cracked so bad you could not see through it to drive. At that time I bought 2 windshields from a bus supply place in Sumner,WA ( also cost $180 a piece including sales tax); drove it in the toad 800 miles round trip to where the bus was, and had a local glass shop install it. They charged me about $100 to do it. Next time I would do it myself but it was nice to watch a professional do it once first.

3. The second windshield is now stored against the back wall of the huge closet in the bedroom for future use as a spare. It only takes up 1/4 inch! When you need one there is not always one close by.

4. When the broken windshield was removed by the glass guy, there was an hour spent removing sealer goop from the groove of the rubber seal. The last installer had used some kind of silicone sealer. So the professional installer did it the same way. Now we know that this is really not needed at all and only makes the job harder next time.

5. The Prevost parts guy was very helpful. He talked to me about the special installation tool they sell, and I bought one. Picture attached ( I hope) It does the same job as the tool pictured in the photos on the link above, but is made entirely differently. The handle portion is 5 inches long and the rubber cord goes through the handle as you go along. They get $50 for it so it must be twice as good as the one shown right? After I use it I will let you know how good it really is.

Drive safely,

Peter

dalej
11-26-2006, 03:22 PM
Peter the one I shown in the photo cost me $49 from prevost in 1999. Our company can get them direct from the manufacture and I was going to let people have them at our cost for the upcoming glass class. really doesn't matter where they buy it, just as long as they have one on hand, along with the plastic sticks.

Jon Wehrenberg
11-26-2006, 03:38 PM
I'm learning a lot. I made my own plastic stick by cutting and shaping a piece of plastic water pipe and my insertion tool was a flat bladed screw driver.

MangoMike
11-26-2006, 04:22 PM
Peter,

Nice post. You made me stop and think when you mentioned the 800 mile parts trip in the toad. It may be time for me to make room in my closet.

Mike

dalej
11-26-2006, 06:17 PM
Mike post a big photo of your avaitar and explain whats going on....

rfoster
11-26-2006, 06:42 PM
Dale: I Know what that is It is a leaking air bag. It looks just like mine. Ugly ain't it:(

MangoMike
11-26-2006, 07:43 PM

Dale,

Finished changing one of two bags this weekend, with some phone/email/photo/tea leaf reading support from Jon. This maybe one project left to the Prevo boys. The bag is $150 I wonder what they would charge for the labor. My family was getting worried that they might have to drive the Toaster home from Myrtle Beach.

I'll be posting my dog and pony show in a couple of days.

Mike

dalej
11-27-2006, 10:36 AM
That is so impressive Mike, you have to be the MAN! Now I want to see a photo of you hands to see if you really are the mechanic that is working on your bus.:D

Ray Davis
11-27-2006, 03:07 PM
We are going to have this as a learning session (Glass Class) at POGIII if Ray and the boys say so.

As you can tell from the number of posts in this thread, I think everyone (including me!!) wants this class AND the time to replace several more windshields after the formal class. As mentioned in our private emails regarding the class, I've got two that need replacing right now, but will wait for POG3!

dalej
11-27-2006, 04:32 PM
Ray, I think we should have people sign up for glass and tools so I can bring it all with me in April. The glass was around $152 a couple of weeks ago and the tools run around $24 for the filler tool and a $1 for the plastic thingys.
I know it is a long way off but it will be here before we know it. I will place the orders in March.

Ray Davis
11-27-2006, 06:48 PM
A great idea. So, you're going to pre-purchase the glass and tools? How would you want to handle this?

dalej
11-27-2006, 07:01 PM
I was hoping people will email me over the next few months and I will just keep track of everyones request. If you have a better way let me know.

Here are the photos of the parts...

Jerry Winchester
11-27-2006, 08:09 PM
Dale,

Photo master and glass dude. Count me in for the tools. If a guy who doesn't even know that Nebraska plays Oklahoma for the Big XII Championship can install one of these, so can I :D

*After the Nebraska mauling in Stillwater, I didn't think they would field a team for the rest of the season :eek:

Jon Wehrenberg
11-27-2006, 09:01 PM
Add me to the tool list. Looks prettier than my homemade stuff.

Ray Davis
11-27-2006, 10:24 PM
Put me on the list. 2 windows, and tools!

truk4u
11-27-2006, 10:29 PM
Tools for me Dale..;)

garyde
11-29-2006, 12:24 AM
Please put me down for the tools. I have watched the Glass folks replace my Country Coach Windshields . They were Flush w/o Rubber. Just a Marine Calking Seal. I did notice they had two large Glass Suction Cups to help set the Windshields as well as take out the old ones. Gary

dalej
03-23-2007, 10:36 PM
It has been awhile since we have talked about the glass class. This is where we left off, this is a list of members that wanted me to bring tools and glass to POGIII.

Please let me know if there are any changes.

Gary 1 set tools confirmed
Jerry 1 set tools
Jon 1 set tools
Ray 1 set tools 2 glass confirmed
Tom 1 set tools confirmed
Mike 1 set tools confirmed

MangoMike
03-24-2007, 08:43 AM
Dale,

Take me off the list for the glass. But I'll still take a tool.

Thanks.

Mango

truk4u
03-24-2007, 08:57 AM
Tool only Dale.

garyde
03-24-2007, 02:09 PM
Just the Tools . Thank you Dale

Ray Davis
03-24-2007, 04:41 PM
Dale,

I'm still on. If you'd like to demo on my coach, I could go for that! :)

dalej
03-24-2007, 05:10 PM
Ray, that sounds good. If I crack one on the way down, I might change my mind though. :)