PDA

View Full Version : Entertainment Bay Television

JPHJR
09-27-2011, 08:17 PM
2006 CC XLII: There was a 32" Sharp Plasma TV in the entertainment bay when we bought it, and it turned off and on during the pre-buy, but missed color issues since it was not connected to Direct TV. Once done, the color was waaayyy too blue and red. All controls on the Menu of the TV did nothing to change the super blue picture, whether sitting under the ZipDees, in the sun or at night with a beverage of choice. Though I learned to live with it, a single splash of water zapped the whole picture. So, I put in the new LED Sharp TV last month and finally had a chance to observe it this past weekend = same exact color issues. I see too much blue and red, regardless of how I adjust the color on the video options on the tv itself. Is there somethign I am missing or some control to adjust inside? This is a Crestron system.
Thanks in advance!

Jay & Cris Hughes
2006 Country Coach XLII

Mark3101
09-27-2011, 09:48 PM
What is the source of the video? Are you sending the video through a PVID unit or something else? I would check the cables first...are you using component or HDMI? There are way to many variables to diagnose without some more info.

I am NOT a Crestron expert, but do have it in my bus and I have 2 Directv HR21's and a BluRay player FWIW.

garyde
09-28-2011, 01:06 AM
A process of elimination would be the first thing to try. Do you have the same issue with a land line cable connection, or with your roof TV antenna. If you do then its something between your VCR and your cable splitters and routers. If not then its something to do with your Satelite or reciever. Or maybe just change your choice of Scotch.

JPHJR
09-28-2011, 09:37 AM
Excellent questions and process recommendations. I know there is a roof antenna, but have honestly not tried to work it or figure out that process due to the clarity of the DirectTV. The video system is driven by two separate Direct TV receivers, and has a VCR and a standard DVD player. One of DirectTV units drives the Sharp TV in the front of the bus, and the other TV in the entertainment bay, such that whatever is on the salon TV is the same channel on the bay TV. The bay TV is driven by component cables (red, white & yellow). Where might the splitter be located? As to Gary's recommendation, I did find the color was much more tolerable last evening with a little MacAllan 21 : )

Jay & Cris Hughes
2006 Country Coach XLII

JamesW
09-28-2011, 11:13 AM
With your Crestron system, I thought Country Couch would have used a PVID switch for that era of coach. This type of switch can do both component and composite, (your red white and yellow connections). These use what is called a "room box". A single cat5 cable goes from the PVID to a "black Box" in your Bay. You may want to double check your connections there. If you don't have or can't find this, i could look at it at the rally in Austin for you?

One more troubleshooting question, verify that the picture looks this same way with ANY source. DVD, VCR ect. This will help deturmine if there is a cabling issue or something with the source. :)

James Wilson
uii-gui Technology Group LLC
Authorized Crestron Dealer
www.uii-gui.com

JPHJR
09-28-2011, 06:07 PM
Thanks, James. I am lost on most of the acronyms and unfortunately will not be able to make the Austin rally. However, I will catch you at a later one. What I found below was: Two wall plates. One has a Cat5 receptacle and one a standard receptacle. These are both fed from the rear by apparent Cat5 4-pair wire. Nothing is plugged in to the front of these. The other wall plate has 6 RCA-type connecters. The rear of the plate is fed by 3 component cables (red, blue & green), and the other three are fed by traditional cables (yellow, white & red). All seem to be plugged in correctly to the back of each DirectTV box.

The good news is that when I switch the Crestron over to power a DVD on that tv, or VCR, they both play with absolutely perfect video color. Back to Direct TV channels - no good. I have tried and cannot seem to make the TV work on the regular antenna to pick up local stations to test it (perhaps something with the digital signals now??).

I do appreciate the thoughts and recs.

Jay & Cris Hughes
2006 Country Coach XLII

charlesebrownjr
09-28-2011, 09:27 PM
The red, white and yellow cables are not for use as component video cables. Red is right audio, white is left audio and the yellow is video. They should be plugged into corresponding ports on one of the tv's video inputs. For component video use blue, green and red cables, these are also heavier gauge wire than your red, white and yellow. Also with component cables u will need a red audio and white audio cables for sound.

Reagan Sirmons
09-28-2011, 09:57 PM
I am the first to say I do not know electronics but I just re installed a 37" Vizio in my bay but it is a slave of the back receiver and TV....not complicated like your system. Simply stated, I would "reboot" your system by shutting the entire thing down and then after a pause, start it up again. I would then call Direct TV and have them send you a new "hit" to you to re-establish the signal. Once that is done, I would work from the receiver to be certain it is in fact good, then through the wires to the tv. It is possible that the tv should be set up to receive "out of the wall" and not from a satelite...that choice is given when you install the new device. As Isaid, this may not be good advice but it worked for me on my CC '99 model.
Pres

garyde
09-28-2011, 10:03 PM
If you have good color on your inside tv and its on the same Direct TV reciever as the outside tv then the problem is in the wiring . Find where the wires plug into the reciever and the tv and check them.

AmeriStar
09-29-2011, 12:47 AM
Check the polarity of the outlet you're using. You can purchase a circut tester for less than 10 bucks. Todays tv sets are very picky on which way the electricity is running.

JPHJR
09-29-2011, 08:44 AM
Thanks to all so far. I will check these recommendation and update the post as soon as I can.

Jay & Cris Hughes
2006 Country Coach XLII

JamesW
09-29-2011, 09:31 AM
Morning Jay,
This sounds like it boils down to the wiring. On the back of the new TV, do you have both red white yellow as well as red green blue connections? To me it is sounding like possibly some of your sources are fed to the Bay TV as composite and maybe your DirecTV is component. If this is the case, the very first thing I would do before wasting another year of your life calling DirecTV, is check that all component connections are in their correct place. Red to red, Blue to Blue and Green to Green. I can tell you if you get two of them in the wrong place, you WILL get a picture, just with terrible color.
Sorry we will not see you in Austin. Look forward to an update and finally meeting another time.

James Wilson
www.uii-gui.com

JPHJR
10-02-2011, 08:16 AM
Eureka & Thanks:
Well James, the easy and obvious check was the solution. For some inexplicable reason, the connections from the component jackson the wall plate (red green & blue) in the entertainment bay, to the component jacks on the rear of the TV (red green & blue) was actually connected by a composite cable (yellow, red, white), instead of a component cable. I truly have no idea how or when that even came to be. Either way, I replaced the composite cable with a new Monster 6' component cable and the new LED TV now yields the best picture on the bus. Thanks for reminding me to check the obvious instead of assuming - once again. It saved a few precious minutes of my life in not getting sucked into the VOIP vortex of foreign DirectTV representatives (all nice people, I am sure, but a challenge nonetheless).

Jay & Cris Hughes
2006 Country Coach XLII

rahangman
10-02-2011, 11:08 AM
Think DTV is bad? I just spent 6 hrs, drove 6 miles and finally go the DishNetwork people to replace our receiver which I have maintained all along was bad. Sheesh. But it is fixed,replaced & now working.:D

JamesW
10-03-2011, 10:19 AM
That's awesome Jay! Glad you got it working and are now able to enjoy your new TV!

James Wilson
www.uii-gui.com