PDA

View Full Version : Fault Code in Mid 166

johnbrowder
09-24-2011, 11:12 AM
I posted this as a followup to my "more black smoke" thread, thinking it could be related. No repines there, I thought I'd try a new thread here:

We were at the end of a long day, approaching Durango, mix of up and down grades... nothing severe. I got the same "beep-beep" that signals low air pressure. I looked at the LCD display and it said: Stop, Mid 166 fault. I immediately pulled over, but did not shut down. The fault went away. No stored codes (Silver leaf), nothing visibly amiss in engine room. Looked in Prevost manual, but could not find "166". Carefully resumed journey, no issue.

Help!

Jon Wehrenberg
09-24-2011, 11:53 AM
John,

I looked up the Dertoit Diesel DDEC IV fault codes and there is none that I can see. I am going to go back ovder it again to see if it is another language that translates to a DD code.

johnbrowder
09-24-2011, 01:45 PM
Digging through the Prevost Owners Manual, I find references to MID and PID codes in the ECU. It says the communicate with various systems. I do not find a list of what the specific codes refer to. Any thoughts or references?

Jon Wehrenberg
09-24-2011, 02:16 PM
John,

I searched through the DDEC III and DDEC IV and V codes and looked under the flash codes and the PID/SID/FMI codes and found no 166. Here are the two sites that gave me the best listing of codes:

http://library.motoralldata.com/techRef/WebHelp/Powertrain_Trouble_Code_Charts/Detroit_Diesel/Detroit_Diesel_Electronic_Controls_(DDEC_III).htm

http://diesel.btc.ctc.edu/Engines/Detroit%20Diesel/EGR%20s60techguide.pdf

I don't know where else to look.

jonnie
09-24-2011, 05:01 PM
I did a search and mid 166 came up as a tire problem

johnbrowder
09-24-2011, 06:49 PM
I called Prevost Action Service and the tech confirmed tha MID codes are system related, one for engine, another for trans, others for brakes, air, etc. Problem is he has never seen a 166 and cannot fond it redressed anywhere. He was going to dig more and call me back if he found anything. He has not yet. He did say with certainty it was NOT a critical system.

I am still concerned.

johnbrowder
09-24-2011, 07:18 PM
I did a search and mid 166 came up as a tire problem

Where did you find this? Did it say what kind go problem and how it knows? I do have Pressure Pro, and all pressures are OK.

travelite
09-24-2011, 07:50 PM
Is it possible that any of the sixes are actually an eight?

Alek&Lucia
09-24-2011, 09:15 PM
John,

I checked everything for 166, and no success.
Did you checked with Silver leaf perhaps the problem is with the Pressure Pro ?

Alek

johnbrowder
09-24-2011, 10:23 PM
Is it possible that any of the sixes are actually an eight?

I went back and checked:166

johnbrowder
09-24-2011, 10:28 PM
John,

I checked everything for 166, and no success.
Did you checked with Silver leaf perhaps the problem is with the Pressure Pro ?

Alek

DDEC and Silverleaf are not recording any faults. Your thought is that the Silverleaf interface may be causing a problem, right? That will be worth a call to them on Monday. Also, if I have another issue I can try unplugging SL and restarting engine.

tpr
09-25-2011, 07:11 PM
My coach was lugging up hills and started blowing out black smoke. I took it to detroit and they found a torn CAC hose and a cracked and leaking CAC. Replaced it, very costly and time consuming. On the way home I got off the interstate and the check trans light came on and it locked in 1st. gear. Limped it back home and checked the transmission codes and got a 2166 code. Detroit said it was an overspeed sensor, they sent a guy out he replaced it still stuck in first gear. Then traced the wires in the harness and found a short. I'll give it a good test in a week as I'm headed to the Millennium Rally in fla.