PDA

View Full Version : Hydronic galley blower location

Liam
09-21-2011, 08:23 AM
The fan / blower for the galley hydronic heat in my 1992 Prevost Country Coach is not working. Would love a hint on how to access it to repair. Thanks!

Jon Wehrenberg
09-21-2011, 09:42 AM
I'm not sure what you mean by hydroninc heat (Hurricane, Webasto, Aquahot?) but typically the heat exchangers are located behind floor vents and access to those heat exchangers is dependent upon the location and the converter. On my coach I have to move a sofa to access the living room heat exchangers, remove a panel in the bottom of cabinetry to access the ones in the kitchen and bath area, and disassemble the bed to access the ones in the bedroom. So without specific knowledge of a 92 Country Coach I can only speak in generalities.

I can say once you access the heat exchanger it should be very easy to remove and replace a blower / fan. The squirrel cage was easy to remove from my motor shaft with an allen wrench and the new motor was a direct fit. I think if you are willing to do a little searching you can probably get a new motor from places like WW Grainger or other sources on line without any problem.

BTW, welcome to the asylum. Just don't get your hopes up about correct answers. Your $15 dues only buys you access to this site. For correct answers send me a blank check or your high limit credit card.

Just kidding.........

JIM KELLER
09-21-2011, 10:23 AM
Liam, On our 99 Country Coach it is under the sink in the galley. Remove the bottom panel of the cabinet for access. Be advised Country Coach used 24 volt blower motors on some 12 volt systems. The reason was less noise and volume of air.

Liam
09-21-2011, 10:41 AM
Thank you both. My 92 has a Webasto and I have perforated steel grills underneath one cabinet and along the cabinet toe-kicks. Had I not just recently purchased it, and actually heard the blowers run, I would have a better clue as to where the blower is located! I was pretty sure they weren't accessed from the basement but didn't want to randomly start disassembling cabinets. The dash blower is perfect. The blower that serves the vents under the bath sink and bedroom works but is squeaky. Jim, I am guessing that is similarly accessed under the sink cabinet?

Jon, you must have joined before I was born if your dues are only $15 ;)

Jon Wehrenberg
09-21-2011, 11:02 AM
No, At $15 I got taken advantage of. Folks like Jim Keller were only charged $10.

If you believe everything we tell you in this forum I wonder if you would be interested in a bridge I have for sale?

rahangman
09-21-2011, 11:56 AM
I am in the process of replacing my dash Webasto Mtr.
http://www.heco.net/red_dot_heaters.htm
Will take you to Harold Elect. When you access your component (under sink is correct by the way on mine also) verify that it is 24 volts, it should read R-2020 and there will be a big label saying 24volts. Cost was $74.74 American Green Backs (notice "Green") Shipping is like 10 days unless you need it quickly, currently I am in Nacogdoches,Tx where the Webasto is not needed today! Good Luck. Oh, you can call them also 800-541-8910

Liam
09-21-2011, 08:23 PM
Life just got more complicated! I removed the false bottom of the stove cabinet and the unit is actually a "Frigi-Cool Rear Heat" unit with connections for both the hydronic heat and engine-mounted A/C compressor. Worse, it looks like I need a Hobbit to get it out or tear-out cabinets. Anyone have any experience with this unit? (opening a new thread as well)

Liam
09-21-2011, 08:53 PM
Just bought a 92 Country Coach and the heater blower in the kitchen appears dead. There is voltage at the fan switch and the front unit connected to the same thermostat works fine. I removed the false bottom of the cabinet and discovered the unit is not a Webasto heater but a "FRIGI-COOL" with both hydronic heat and A/C connections to the engine-mounted compressor. Looks like bear to replace!

Anyone have any experience with one of these?

UPDATE

OK, if I felt stupid about this before it is double now. I discovered that if I turn-on the big OTR heat knob by the driver's seat the dead Frigi-Cool starts blowing. So I am totally confused what the speed switch inside the upper kitchen cabinet drives? Is there a 2nd hydronic heater in the kitchen? Is the Frigi-Cool fed by hot water from the Webasto or directly from the engine coolant?

Bottom-line: Anyone who can give me an idiot-lesson on the 3 heating systems (Electric, OTR & Hydronic) and how they interplay, I would owe you! If a phone call is easier, let me know.

Liam
09-24-2011, 03:06 PM
PROBLEM SOLVED

OK, I now qualify for the next opening in Cirque-de-Soliel for a contortionist. I removed the motor under the bathroom sink. Rahangman, I re-read you post and found the hatch under the kitchen sink and now see that there are 2 kitchen heaters, the Red-Dot and the chassis heat/AC unit. It wasn't pretty news though. The Webasto was installed right up against the inside of the toe-kick (no nice hoses and diflector) and it sits on top of two hoses from the chassis unit which presumably run down to the basement. That crams the squirell cage input to the Webasto almost tight against the underside of the cabinet. Someone then put spray-foam under and over the unit locking it in-place very tightly with only a 1/3 of the motor exposed. I wound-up using a trim-router to create an opening to remove the fan. My plan is to cut a cover out of 1/4" panel (like in the bath) that covers the whole cabinet bottom so that the area I routed out acts like a plenum to get air into the fan. BTW, the motor was all but siezed tight. I just sent Harold Ag and email per your suggestion to order replacement motors.

Really appreciate all the help. Would love to know if Country Coach or a prior owner buggered this up. Also surprised there are no filters on these guys.

Liam
11-02-2011, 12:41 PM
When driving, the heater air from under the kitchen blows luke warm. I had the dash knob on full hot First use so no idea if this is normal. Wound-up turning the Webasto on to make the passengers happy.

dreamchasers
11-02-2011, 05:51 PM
Liam,

The Prevost dash heat control has no bearing on the heat from the galley blower. This control knob control the Prevost hot water valve only. If underway, the normal engine thermostat temperature is above the wabasto heater cut on point. So the hot water will be the temperature of the engine cooling water circulating. However, you will need to turn on the "Interior Heat Exchangers" button to turn on power to the two heat blowers, galley and bedroom. I can not remember the actual cutoff temperature of the wabasto, but it is lower than the 190-195 degrees of the engine thermostat. The reason for the luke warm temperature from the galley heat exchanger is the water needs the wabasto circulating pump to be on, "Interior Heat Exchanger" button, for warm water to flow through the galley heat exchanger.

I sure some of the Wabaso experts can chime in on the on/off temperatures of the wabasto system.

Hope this helps.

Hector

Liam
11-02-2011, 09:58 PM
Thanks. I wish I had a schematic of the plumbing to see how it all works. So is there just one hot water loop that feeds both sets of heat exchangers (the chassis heat/cool and the heat-only unit)?

dreamchasers
11-02-2011, 10:14 PM
I have a drawing. It will take a few days to scan it and send it to you.

Hector

Liam
11-03-2011, 10:35 AM
Thanks a bunch. Anyone know why I get a signiature block when I post from the website and not when i post from the iPhone app?