PDA

View Full Version : Route from Jackson WY to Salt Lake City?

johnbrowder
09-11-2011, 10:28 PM
Any thoughts? We are not afraid of two lane highways, but hope to avoid white knuckles! Thanks for any input.

charlesebrownjr
09-11-2011, 10:52 PM
Hey John, taking Hwy. 22 West out of Jackson Hole is the quickest way to I 15 But has some step climbs getting to Idaho Falls. I've been south on Hwy. 89 too. nice drive but two lane all the way to I 15 and winding. No easy way from Jackson Hole. Good luck.:)

Coloradobus
09-12-2011, 12:53 AM
John, Hwy 191 out of Jackson is a great road with wide shoulders and no passes all th way to Rock Springs. Or, you can take Hwy 189 off 191 just north of Pinedale after leaveing Jackson and go thru La Barge. Both ways will take you to I-80. I-80 will thien head west and off to Salt Lake City via Park City. This section once you leave Park City is sort of winding but multi-lanes and 5 th gear with the retarder in 2 or3 should give you good control. If not, use fourth and sit back and enjoy.

johnbrowder
09-12-2011, 11:20 AM
We really enjoyed the drive down 191 from Bozeman to West Yellowstone. It looks like going 191 to I-80 adds the better part of 100 miles, but I think it may well be worth it.

Coloradobus
09-13-2011, 12:02 AM
John, another thought that doesn't include going over Teton Pass, which by the way isn't that bad. Head south out of Jackson 12 miles to Hoback Jct.trun right and head downstream following along the snake river toward Alpine wy.
There, you will turn right and follow the shores of the Palisades Reservoir toward Swan Valley on Hwy Rt 26 and onto Idaho Falls and I-15. We used this route alot in the winter when Teton Pass was closed hauilng skiers from the Idaho Falls Airport to Jackson, Wy
We just travelled that route in June from Hoback Jct over to Swan Valley, however we turned right which you won't, at Swan Valley and headed to Victor Id. and beyond and eventually got to West Yellowstone.