PDA

View Full Version : Valve Stem Tightness

johnbrowder
09-08-2011, 03:31 PM
We are on the road, currently in SD. In a walk-around inspection today I noticed one of my rigid bent valve stems was no longer pinging straight out, it was twisted a bit. It was VERY easy to twist it back into position. In fact, it seemed to me way too easy. There is an exposed hex nut against the wheel rim. Is it as simple as tightening that nut a little?

In the interest of full disclosure, I do have pressure pro monitors (that is why the stems point outward), but have never had a problem on this coach or the previous one. I know there are differing opinions on stem-mounted monitors, but it works for me. I just need to know if I can just snug this nut or not.

Thanks in advance.

TerryM
09-08-2011, 04:06 PM
Hi John,

Yes, you can adjust the stem and tighten the nut and everything should be ok.

I had a lose valve stem this summer and woke up one morning to a completely flat tire. The valve stem is push through from inside the rim. The valve stem inside the wheel has a large backing plate. The valve stem is threaded and has a nut on the outside. Tightening the nut seals the stem into the wheel and locks the stem in place.

Terry

johnbrowder
09-08-2011, 04:32 PM
Terry,
Thanks! Tightened it just a flat or so, nice and snug now, does not want to twist. No pressure loss, tightened the other side too.

TerryM
09-08-2011, 05:07 PM
My flat was on the tag. The other tag was just a little lose too so I tightened it. I guess the persons putting the valve stems in the tags didn't eat Wheaties for breakfast the day they built those wheels and tires.

BoaterAl
09-08-2011, 05:08 PM
Hi John,
Some time ago we had a thread about valve stem stabilizers. Your message does not tell me what wheel. These rubber stabilizer supports the valve stem for the inside dual holding the extra long stem. I had lost one and did replace the other after examining the wear between old and new.

johnbrowder
09-08-2011, 09:55 PM
Al,
The loose stem(s) were on my outer drives. I had all new tires in January at a good shop. When I had to install different stems on the outers to work with the PP monitors, a local shop swapped the stems for me. I think that is where the failure-to-tighten occurred.

I really wanted to avoid extensions for the inners, and looked at the options. For me the ability to install/remove the PP monitors, manually check and adjust pressures lead me to use extensions only on the inner drives. I do use the rubber bushings in the outer wheel to somewhat stabilize this necessary evil.

Thanks for the input.