PDA

View Full Version : ZipDee Awning

pwf252
09-04-2011, 12:36 PM
Was having a good time at The Beagle Bash until I foolishly showed someone how my air/ electric Zipdee awning works. Well I was able to close it most of the way but the tube on the right side refused to collapse fully, about 3" from contracting all the way. Can't force it in from its position, tried to cycle it a couple of times, no help. Drained all the air from system no go. Any ideas on a cure? Even a temporary cure would do.

pwf252
09-04-2011, 01:38 PM
UPDATE: never mind I've zip tied it up. going to spend the rest of the afternoon drinking bloody marys. to hell with zipdee and their worthless air awnings!!!!!!!!!

Alek&Lucia
09-04-2011, 03:02 PM
Patrick,

Did you had any rain when the awning was open ?
We had Prevost Country Coach before with the same awning, and every time after rain we had same problems like yours.
Open it, and wait few hours until the water will drain.
ZipDee was blaming CC for pinched and broken lines etc etc etc.
Finally we went to the factory, removed the AutoAwn and installed manual. Never been happier since then. After that experience we took a pass on many buses, with AutoAwn before we purchased our H3 Royale with manual awning.

Alek

Our Country Coach with AutoAwn
And with out, manual installed

jack14r
09-04-2011, 04:19 PM
I had that style Zip Dee on my 05 bus and the manual shows where to lube the arms so that they will work,I really think that they must be lubed after each time it rains.

garyde
09-04-2011, 09:31 PM
Try calling customer support at Zip Dee.
http://www.zipdeeinc.com/contact.htm

Seabyrd
09-04-2011, 11:20 PM
Cheers Patrick & Sherry !!!

Was having a good time at The Beagle Bash until I foolishly showed someone how my air/ electric Zipdee awning works. Well I was able to close it most of the way but the tube on the right side refused to collapse fully, about 3" from contracting all the way. Can't force it in from its position, tried to cycle it a couple of times, no help. Drained all the air from system no go. Any ideas on a cure? Even a temporary cure would do.

Jon Wehrenberg
09-05-2011, 08:13 AM
I'm with Alec. From our first coach which was DDECI to our current coach which is DDECIII and had not been fitted with power awnings, shades or Crestron type controls we have witnessed and explosion of technology in the coaches.

After our vintage coach (and before it in the case of Crestron Controls) we have seen power everything and more and more sophisticated electronics. All of which is absolutely fantastic as long as everything continues to work. Even when stuff breaks it is not so bad as long as the products are still being supported by the manufacturer. But they are not.

DDECI is almost impossible to find the control units. Replacing DDECI with a later generation is an expensive proposition. The ZipDee awnings Patrick is dealing with were in between the old manual awnings and the newer cantilevered style. I have started to hear horror stories about both and some tales about the lack of good support. That situation is only going to get worse.

Some Crestron displays are no longer supported or available. Try to replace a combination in-dash radio and GPS unit of 10 years ago with anything that will fit in the same hole. Try to get the existing one repaired.

I don't think anyone fixes TVs any more so when a TV pukes a new one is going to replace it. Pray you have the ability to find one the exact size so you don't have grief trying to remake the lift or cabinetry to suit the new dimensions.

Having said all that as the resident technology curmudgeon, I actually embrace some of the technology that is now available. That which I embrace is not technology or complexity for the sake of having a "gee whiz" feature, but is technology that is going to improve safety or service life. The new multiplex systems are absolutely the best example. They reduce the number of parts while providing the owner and techs with excellent diagnostic tools and valuable features. The systems checks alone on a multiplex system are worth the price of admission, but the integration with other systems ranging from pre-trip inspection capability to adaptive braking to fire supression to tire pressure monitoring are all safety related and a huge benefit. If and when the converter systems reach the level of sophistication and durability of the Prevost multiplex the coaches are going to be technologically advanced, but it will make sense.

Now if we can either substantially increase the reliability of awnings, shades, etc. so they have the service life of the coach we are going to be in hog heaven. But until then those features, while small in the overall scheme of things are going to frustrate owners. Look what it took to get the slides to the current level of reliability and quality.

rfoster
09-05-2011, 08:25 AM
Patrick. Sorry to hear of your awning troubles. I know it's not much consolation, but been there and done that, Jon carries spare DD sensors in his bus, I carry spare awning motor!

I routinely extend my zip dee do daw power awning just to exercise it, but I also routinely remove the plugs and fill the tube with 3 in one oil.

Has anyone on the forum experienced the new zip dee awnings that are similar to girads? They are mounted to the roof rather than the side of the coach and are housed in a painted enclosure?

Have they proved to be not as tempermental as the auto awning?

Mark3101
09-05-2011, 10:49 AM
Patrick. Sorry to hear of your awning troubles. I know it's not much consolation, but been there and done that, Jon carries spare DD sensors in his bus, I carry spare awning motor!

I routinely extend my zip dee do daw power awning just to exercise it, but I also routinely remove the plugs and fill the tube with 3 in one oil.

Has anyone on the forum experienced the new zip dee awnings that are similar to girads? They are mounted to the roof rather than the side of the coach and are housed in a painted enclosure?

Have they proved to be not as tempermental as the auto awning?

Funny you should mention them. When we got our coach in October 2009, it was brand new, but had been sitting at a dealer in TX for over two years. The day we picked it up, they were finishing up replacing a motor in the front passenger side awning..roof style, in enclosure. The original had failed for some reason, and they had just gotten the new one in and working while we were doing the walk through orientation. Fast forward about three months and about 5 times of open and close cycles on the awnings...most of which were in my garage, since we parked the bus for the winter.

The front passenger side went out, but would not retract back to the housing. It would blow the breaker each and every time we tried to move it after about 4 inches or so. Finally got it in. Had Dave Rousey from Styleworks RV in to do some work on the coach. He called ZipDee for a new motor. Gave them all the info they asked for and they said they knew it had had a motor replacement already. I had to pay for overnight delivery as Dave was going to be here for a limited time frame. Got the new motor, and it was the wrong one! Called ZipDee again, they said we gave them the wrong info, which we DID NOT. Had to pay for another overnight shipment as they would not. Finally got the right motor and had it installed. They included instructions on drilling the housing to allow water to drain out...see below.

Sent the others back to ZipDee. I had to pay freight on that too. They suck. They would not warranty the bad motor as they said it had gotten "WET" and that was the cause of the failure. I did drive in some rain from TX to our home in MN, but never had the awnings open on the trip, and the bus was stored inside until we replaced the motor. I guess since the entire assembly is outside, it is going to get wet, eh?

They would not cover the cost of the motor, or the shipping on the right motor, nor the returns. As a company THEY SUCK!!!!!

I don't use the awnings much. I don't trust them to open and close correctly. While we were at Hearthside the same awning experienced an issue where the rear of the front awning started to open up but the front part stayed in. I stopped it and then shut it. Had to cycle it about three times to get it closed properly. Something hung up on the front, but I have no idea what.

I have not had trouble with the four little folding chairs yet. At least those open and close correctly so far...

jack14r
09-05-2011, 12:09 PM
I too had a motor replaced under warranty,when Liberty ordered the motor it was in the afternoon about 3PM and Zip Dee would not ship it that day because it was after their shipping time,so I was forced to wait one more day to get the part,I was told that the new motor was the 3rd generation of this motor,I guess that I have 3 of the first generation left on my coach.If I have the awnings out I always put them in a day before I am going to leave,I just don't trust them.

Jon Wehrenberg
09-05-2011, 01:10 PM
If I have the awnings out I always put them in a day before I am going to leave,I just don't trust them.

What's wrong with this picture? For the cost of a new coach there are problems of a serious nature with something that costs the equivalent of a rounding error, but can screw us up big time.

Worse, the company that makes the lousy product hates it when customers that are screwed up with their lousy product want them to actually provide service. Zip Dee needs to go out of business.

Lets add them to the list that is headed by Ramco Mirrors.

Mark3101
09-05-2011, 07:20 PM
What's wrong with this picture? For the cost of a new coach there are problems of a serious nature with something that costs the equivalent of a rounding error, but can screw us up big time.

Worse, the company that makes the lousy product hates it when customers that are screwed up with their lousy product want them to actually provide service. Zip Dee needs to go out of business.

Lets add them to the list that is headed by Ramco Mirrors.

AMEN to that! Don't even get me started on the Crapco mirrors...!! At least Prevost has paid for that so far, but since I will be out of warranty the end of October, I suspect that Crapco will get into my wallet at some point. ZipDud already has.

JIM CHALOUPKA
09-05-2011, 07:31 PM
Don't close their doors quite yet! I need to order new pull and hold down straps.

JIM

Alek&Lucia
09-05-2011, 09:13 PM
Wait !
They still have good products : Manual awnings, chairs, and good support at FMCA Rallies
:)

garyde
09-05-2011, 09:36 PM
The fact is most owners don't hae a clue to how their awnings work. It takes a seminar to begin to understand their paticular system. Gerard and Zip Dee always show up at FMCA rallies and put on seminars and also offer free service for the smalll things that make us alll upset.
Its what you don't know that will cause you grief.

Jon Wehrenberg
09-06-2011, 06:47 AM
I'm pretty sure Mark and some others may not fully agree.

merle&louise
09-06-2011, 08:53 AM
Do the Zip Dee auto awnings have a manual crank to close the awning when the motor fails?

Orren Zook
09-06-2011, 09:16 AM
I think Gary is on to something.... I was out to Chicago a couple years ago to have a awning arm repaired on my Zip Dee auto-awn. After the rebuild and a short lesson in the maintenance and operation, I haven't had any problems. I always make sure the awning air gauge pressure is at the correct level to operate a complete cycle (and the compressor is turned on) and that the batteries are fully charged before I push the button to open or close my awning. I also follow their recommended lubrication schedule.

Sid Tuls
09-06-2011, 10:51 AM
Do the Zip Dee auto awnings have a manual crank to close the awning when the motor fails?

Yes they do,they have a manual crank in case of an emergency.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
09-06-2011, 12:57 PM
Man, I really love my Girard Awnings. Maybe my next coach won't be a CC, at least if they have ZipDud awnings on it??????

I am sorry that so many of you guys are having so many problems with their awnings. I know LJ Vanderbier had to pay for a set of ZipDud motors under warranty, and as of two days ago, he still had not been reimbursed for his trouble from Zip DEE since the last POG rally ?

Not Good, Not Good at all.

Gary S.

Gary Carmichael
09-06-2011, 04:28 PM
Gary, I'm with you I love the Girard's so far no trouble!

pwf252
09-06-2011, 09:22 PM
Could we talk Zipdee into sending a rep to POG10? We could get them to repair our awnings and then stiff them on payment. Or tell them we would gladly pay them on Tuesday for a repair today.
Sherry and I had a great time at The Fat Beagle Bash # ???. Alot of folks there for the weekend, moderate drinking, heavy eating, lite shopping and some not seen everywhere entertainment when a GPS sent a fellow driving a new H-3 the wrong direction off the exit ramp and he picked a very unfortunate spot to attempt a u-turn with a Jeep in toe. Lucky fellow had himself a motorcycle lift attached to the back with support channel fixed under the frame. Turned out to be well spent money as it saved him alot of under bus damage.
I don't suppose he enjoted the 8-10 Poggers as an audience much, but he did get plenty of help directing the extraction operation, even included a couple cows watching intently from the ajoining pasture!!

Seabyrd
09-06-2011, 11:19 PM
Funny you should say that because at the beginning of all the POG10 discussions, Zip Dee was a consideration. I would like them to come as I have a few questions myself?? so what about it guys?

Could we talk Zipdee into sending a rep to POG10? We could get them to repair our awnings and then stiff them on payment. Or tell them we would gladly pay them on Tuesday for a repair today.
Sherry and I had a great time at The Fat Beagle Bash # ???. Alot of folks there for the weekend, moderate drinking, heavy eating, lite shopping and some not seen everywhere entertainment when a GPS sent a fellow driving a new H-3 the wrong direction off the exit ramp and he picked a very unfortunate spot to attempt a u-turn with a Jeep in toe. Lucky fellow had himself a motorcycle lift attached to the back with support channel fixed under the frame. Turned out to be well spent money as it saved him alot of under bus damage.
I don't suppose he enjoted the 8-10 Poggers as an audience much, but he did get plenty of help directing the extraction operation, even included a couple cows watching intently from the ajoining pasture!!

Sawbonz
09-07-2011, 11:53 AM
I think it would be great if they came. I would love to learn how to maintain the awnings, as Liberty didn't go over a lot of maintenance items. I am sure they are a great product if properly taken care of.

Jon Wehrenberg
09-07-2011, 09:02 PM
Too Late.

But if someone who is or has experienced problems wants to extend an invitation to our next rally we will make sure they are on the schedule. Wouldn't hurt to diplomatically mention a number of folks are experiencing problems. Next national rally is in Las Vegas October 2012. Exact dates and details to be announced.

hhoppe
09-08-2011, 11:12 AM
I won't bore you with how it happened but after my encounter with Zip Dee, I gained on my auto awning problems by changing the diagonal air operated struts to their improved spring operated type. It required an exchange update on the control box ( 1K+$ ) out of pocket. So far so good on operation. I really would like to see them at all of our Rally's. There are a lot of us with their products that would gain, not loose by them being there if they will come. One way or another we need to learn the maintenence proceedures for our awning survival. It has been a case of a small canvas awning company over it's head trying to invent an automatic awning on a shoe string budget without strong engineering help. The Wright Brothers had the same problems.

Jon Wehrenberg
09-08-2011, 12:47 PM
In another life I was responsible for the development of products for the medical industry.

The market was limited in size, not unlike the number of potential customers ZipDee has. The products were in some cases no more complex than those ZipDee is selling. But unlike ZipDee we had a lot of hoops to jump through before our produicst ever got in the hands of the customer. Our biggest challenge was our own in-house test group. They worked the products under extreme conditions in the same way the marketplace would and if the product had weak points or unforseen issues it came right back into our lap.

Nothing went out the door without having the in house test group bless it. Then the service people from the field had to review it to insure it was easily serviced. They were brutal. If a small part needed to be replaced it had better be easily accessed and simple to replace. They were a little more tolerant if a major part had to be replaced, but only if they could see there were no other options to make the job simpler.

Did I mention the approvals? UL, NSF, and the whole range of other testing agencies got their turn at bat. They didn't care if the product worked, they were intersted only in that it was safe. In the course of making it safe according to the standards we were also usually improving its reliability. If water wasn't supposed to get somewhere, we had to build the product so water could not get there. My point is simple. If ZipDee wants to develop more sophisticated products, good for them. But they have an obligation to not make their customers the product test group. And they especially have a lot of nerve if they are charging customers for "upgrades" because their design work or their production methods suck.

Think back to how Toyota and Honda ate General Motor's lunch because GM owned the market, produced lousy quality and made the customer pay to keep the crappy car running. Zip Dee is so exposed to having another company steal their market out from under them it isn't funny, and usually the company never recognizes how their own actions caused them to fail, even as they are circling the drain.

garyde
09-09-2011, 12:07 AM
Girard has the patent on the lateral awning. If my history is correct, the owner of Girard used to work or own Zip Dee. He left and developed the Lateral awning which te industry hs now adopted.http://www.patents.com/us-6782936.html