PDA

View Full Version : Black Tie Event

BoaterAl
08-31-2011, 12:20 AM
I know this has nothing to do with tires, batteries, OTR A/C, jake brakes or Bling.
quick question.....

Will be attending a Black Tie dinner event next month.

Going on-line..... has anyone purchased a Tux on E-Bay ?

I punched in tuxedo maybe a hundred I think, surprise but 1000's. From what I saw you can buy one for the rental price and you have one forever.

Taking in to account you don't attend another POG rally participating in a 3 day eat-a-thon this might be a good deal. Any recommendations ?

Sid Tuls
08-31-2011, 12:29 AM
When I go to black tie events I just wear my blazer and no has ever asked me to leave! I really think a Tommy Bahama shirt is a lot more comfortable.

BoaterAl
08-31-2011, 12:44 AM
LOL- I'am with you 100 per-cent.

It's the Mrs. who I have to deal with on this. Her comment is, "It won't hurt you to get dressed up." Some conversations are just not worth tak-en on sometimes, Sid

Gary & Peggy Stevens
08-31-2011, 10:26 AM
Al, it is always good to get dressed up once in a while. I wear one of my two tuxedos maybe twice a year. It makes you look more sophisticated, even if your like me and NOT SOPHISTICATED !

The only problem with buying one on Ebay is the sizing? If you know all your inseams, coat size and such, and they offer the Tux based on what your needs are, I would think if the price was right, why not get one !

Besides your wife will appreciate being out with a Well Dressed Man.

Like ZZ Top sings !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_EFdod4YDo

Gary S.

rahangman
08-31-2011, 11:17 AM
When I got married instead of renting the Tux, I bought it along with a White Dinner Jacket. Reason? Took a cruise for Honeymoon and in those days, Dress actually meant Formal. So, the rental company took good care, I bought the Shawl lapel model which is (?) still in fashion (at least for older folks). Albeit that they have both remained the same size and I haven't, I can still squeeze into them for ... Holloween ... or whatever. They are in good shape and I did not spend a fortune. Kinda fun also, to really dress up on occasion. But , now living in N Arkansas, I haven't had use for them for sometime! Go for it!

BoaterAl
08-31-2011, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the heads up with my Tux deal.
The reference to ZZ Top was great and one of my all time favorite groups. I know they are a TX staple and dare not ever bad mouth ZZ Top band. That will bring on being run out of TX for sure.
Great post and thanks for the entertainment...Gary
Back to e-bay,

charlesebrownjr
08-31-2011, 09:47 PM
Be careful not to wear a tux to a POG event, I heard they were outlawed. The Prouds like em:)

garyde
08-31-2011, 10:49 PM
A rental is easy, very cheap, many choices, fits and returnable. I still have the Suit I was married in as well. Never put it on again.

BoaterAl
09-08-2011, 05:33 PM
More useless info on black tie event,
On the tux sizing... thanks Gary for the tip, went by the tailor shop and he measured me up. Had everything I needed to order which I placed on the phone.

The tux is here today and for $99.75 no tax, free ship.... I'am very satisfied. Brand new all 5 pieces, jacket 2 button, pants, cumberbun, bow tie, white shirt with pletes and button package. Trip to tailor shop for measure on pants length at $12.50 and can pick up Monday.

Just thinking about this having better luck ordering a tux then some parts orders over the phone.

BoaterAl
09-10-2011, 12:51 PM
The Mrs. saw the new tux jacket and other stuff last night. Now her intended outfit needs to be ungraded. "Your tux is new. I don't have anything new" That tranlates to shopping for a new outfit.

Why did I have that little voice telling me this was going to happen with a new tux. You see a "new outfit" is one I have never seen before.

I never learn

charlesebrownjr
09-10-2011, 03:46 PM
Guess what Al, her outfit won't be as cheap as your tux purchase!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)