PDA

View Full Version : Headhunter

CAPT MOGUL & Sandy
08-25-2011, 03:21 PM
We have a Water-Waster er er Headhunter that long flushes at times. There is a electric regulator behind the stool that does not do any good in slowing down the flush. Is this bad? Or is there something else that regulates the flush time?

Ed

phorner
08-25-2011, 03:35 PM
Ed,

The little knob (I think it's blue?) controls the length of time of the "flush".

However, last year mine started having long flushes..... until a couple of time it didn't want to stop at all.

I ended up replacing the electric solenoid valve. Headhunter advised me that the valve can get hung up if there is any sand or other debris that may have entered it over the years. The new replacement valves have a strainer.

A good test is to bypass the switch on the toilet.

Mine is the Headhunter Royal Flush model.... all electric, no air.

joelselman
08-25-2011, 03:46 PM
Same problem with mine last year, but it was not the solenoid valve, it was the timer. On some models, the timer is combined with the switch and on others it is a separate item wired between the switch and the solenoid valve. I replaced my switch and timer both with a button type starter switch from an auto parts store. We now hold the switch to determine the length of the flush.

phorner
08-25-2011, 06:33 PM
I ended up replacing my switch too.

A good (and significantly cheaper) fix is to simply install a momentary switch as Joel did. I did that as an interim fix while waiting for the replacement switch from Headhunter.

Jon Wehrenberg
08-25-2011, 07:12 PM
Unless there are different versions of Headhunter toilets there are other things that affect the length of the flush and the amount of water used.

On my coach the flush valve is not unlike the type (or principle of operation) from the kind found in commercial installations. It is tripped with a solenoid and then water entering through a small hole equalizes pressure on both sides of a diaphragm and the flushing ov water is turned off. If there is any blockage of the hole such as a small piece of debris the water will continue to run for a longer period, or in a worst case not shut off at all. It is easy to correct by removing the six screws from the valve body, separating the two halves and cleaning out the offending blockage. But there is another factor that influences the amount of water used. On my coach and I presume others a ball valve is in the water line to the toilet downstream from the water supply for the flush at the bottom of the bowl. That ball valve is a means of adjusting the amount that remains in the bowl after a flush. A certain balance must be maintained between how long the flush cycle is, and how much water is introduced for filling the bowl.

If to much water is used to fill the bowl, the flush needs to be extended or the contents of the bowl will not be evacuated. Its one of those deals where the timer and the valve need to be adjusted together to get the right combination for properly flushing the toilet. But the point here is there is more than just the timer affecting the length of the flush and a manual switch which has to be held down sure makes that issue go away. Why does everything have to be so complex. Surely someone that designed our coaches or the toilet bowl must have asked the question about why a timer was better than just holding your finger on a button for the few seconds it takes to flush.

joelselman
08-26-2011, 01:25 PM
Gee, I thought everyone would harass me about the brand x switch. Jon, I believe the valve you spoke of balances the amount of water between the toilet base and the rim outlets; I did adjust it slightly. I believe the manual switch actually saves us water because of our ability to match the duration of the flush to the contents of the toilet.

Jon Wehrenberg
08-26-2011, 02:54 PM
Joel, You are right on in your solution. I am entirely in favorr of things that make sense such as our automatic transfer switches, but for Pete's sake do we need to complicate the flushing of a toilet?

I presume our Headhunter like others flushes for about 2 or 3 seconds. Maybe a little more. But I still possess the mental acuity to know to hold my finger on the switch until the bowl is evacuated. I can find the time. I think the flush valve actually has the ability with normal water pressures to flow water the correct amount of time so we may not even have to hold down a switch unless JDUB as been using the toilet.

CAPT MOGUL & Sandy
08-26-2011, 07:52 PM
Thanks all for the thoughts. I like the manual switch for now. Maybe we can go 3 days before we fill up again.
On another subject, While I was trying to post last night I was disconnected 3 times before I finished my post and then I assumed it didnt go through before I was kicked off. I said Scr--it and shut the computer off. Alek called and offered some thoughts on my post, knowing only then that it went through. I think Email or cell phone will be my primary wepon.

Again thanks for the suggestions.

Ed