PDA

View Full Version : Breaker

Ron
08-17-2011, 01:43 PM
The breaker on the outside stove kicks out after a few seconds from turning the outside grill on. It is a 20amp breaker, and everything looks wired correctly. Tried a new breaker but no better. Any ideas?

Gary & Peggy Stevens
08-17-2011, 01:45 PM
Welcome aboard Ron. Sorry, but I can't answer your question, cause I don't have a Country Coach. BUT I want one real bad !

Be sure and put your signature line with all important information, so those of us that can help will be able to help you.

Welcome aboard again.

Gary S.

Jon Wehrenberg
08-17-2011, 02:38 PM
Ron, Other than adding your bank account, social security and pin numbers to your signature line, let us know a little about your coach, converter, and any thing else that might help give you answers. They are unlikely going to be correct answers but they will be answers to show you we care.

And welcome to the asylum.

As to tripping breakers my first response would have been to verify the connections to the breaker were tight, and then to check the breaker. Your replacement of the breaker has addressed both of those so the next probable step is to go to the stove and check those connections. Pay particular attention to any signs along the wire and at the connections for signs of the presence of heat or heat damage. Something is either very loose creating resistance which in turn increases the load on the breaker, or there is a short somewhere within the circuit.

In our coaches it is very rare for the wires within a circuit to be chafed or to short out except at the switch end or the load end. If however you cannot find a problem at either end, do not rule out a problem somewhere along the path the wires were routed. As rare as it is, one of our members who had a Royale showed photos on this site where one of his wires had been penetrated by a staple during assembly of the coach. I have no idea how to put in the right word for a meaningful search, but if y0u are bored and want to find the photo and thread look for posts by Jeff Bayley. A word of caution.....Jeff is a person with uniuique ideas and some of his posts are a little unusual. So if you start reading his posts consider that you have been warned. BTW, if you do see Jeff notify your local law enforcement agency. He is wanted. Really.

Aren't yu glad you spent $25 to join POG?

Ron
08-17-2011, 10:01 PM
Jon,
I thought the $25 was money well spent since I used my wife's PayPal account :)....I will spend some time checking for damaged wires and misplaced staples. Thanks.

truk4u
08-17-2011, 10:03 PM
Welcome aboard Ron. If you paid 25.00 you paid way too much!:p

rfoster
08-17-2011, 10:07 PM
Welcome to POG Ron and Carina. Glad to see you got the Country Coach Discount for membership.

Please set aside the first week in October and come to Austin to meet all these bus nuts and loose rivets.

Also put your home base in your Signature line so we can all come to your house for supper.

Looking forward to seeing yall.

garyde
08-17-2011, 10:42 PM
Welcome to POG. Heat elements do go bad so if you have a resistance tester, you can test to see if you have a bad element.

Ron
08-19-2011, 12:49 AM
So I took out the breaker that had a GFI and replaced it with a breaker without one and the grill top works fine. Any issues with that? Thanks for the help!

garyde
08-19-2011, 09:53 PM
Not quite sure what you have, Is it a 120 volt grill or a gas grill with a 120 volt ignitor. Anyway, ther's no reason to have a GFI for a grill. My grill is 240 volt with a 2 pole circuit breaker, non gfi.

BenC
08-24-2011, 03:46 PM
So I took out the breaker that had a GFI and replaced it with a breaker without one and the grill top works fine. Any issues with that? Thanks for the help!

If the grill has an in-line gfi, then you are okay. NEC states that all outside outlets/branch circuits be protected by a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter to prevent shocks. It does not currently require dedicated appliances such as the earlier mentioned 240v grill. If the outlet is dedicated to the grill, and it already has one in the cord, you are fine. The problem with plugging a GFI-protected item into a GFI breaker or outlet is that the sensing circuitry in the down-stream GFI device can cause the up-stream device to trip.
GFCI devices protect by measuring the current flow values between the neutral (white) and the line (black) wires and trip if there is more than 5 milliamps difference, indicating a leakage current that could shock the user of the appliance plugged into the circuit.
Your other option is to cut the GFI out of the cord (if one exists, as I suspect it does), and reterminate the male plug at that point, and leave the GFI breaker in the panel.