PDA

View Full Version : Paranoia or What?

LarryB
08-13-2011, 12:55 AM
Have you noticed any increased hostility toward Buses?

I was thinking, tagging onto Jon's 'Dashcam' thread, that with the current activity in the UK that some of that may spill over to the 'Rich People' driving those million dollar coaches here in the USA.

I don't intend giving those types any credit for original thought but, 'copy cat' might be the case. The current attitude in DC seems to also foster the 'Haves vs the Have Nots'.

I'll stop before I step on someones toes.

phorner
08-13-2011, 07:33 AM
Larry,

You make an excellent point. To think that the level of civil unrest that is plaguing other parts of world can't happen here is being naive.

One thing in our favor is that local law enforcement in the United States is generally not as passive as it is in England. England is learning a tough lesson.

Additionally, U.S. citizens in many states have not been stripped of their ability to defend their lives against criminals and thugs, which might give some of these types reason to pause before going on a rampage of this scale.

It does make sense, however, to be ever vigilant in being aware of your surroundings and observant of those in your immediate vicinity. Don't place yourself or your family at unnecessary risk.

Not paranoid, not afraid to enjoy our lifestyle....... just prepared.

Jon Wehrenberg
08-13-2011, 08:15 AM
Larry,

To us the issue is not political, although the apparent class warfare may be an influence.

When we got "Classy Chassis" our first bus driving it on the highways was a lot of fun. First, there were very few conversions relative to the numbers on the road today, and most of those were entertainers. So as a result the people in cars passing us were smiling in their attempt to see Garth Brooks or Willy Nelson behind the wheel. The truckers used their CBs to ask if we had a band on board.

But even if we were not drawing attention because of the bus being new and shiny and obviously expensive, it seemed the drivers were more courteous. The CB talk was more civil. People just did not seem to be as nasty as much as we see today. I have no proof people are more nasty other than what I sense in my gut. I do know Di gives people the finger more today than she ever did.

Di and I disagree on the hostility. She is of the opinion we get cut off or tailgated, or find people playing with us because we are a Prevost. I contend the bus has nothing to do with it, and when we are in our cars I point out the same rudeness we see in the bus is happening on the highways to cars, trucks, and other vehicles. Some of it i attribute to cell phones which were not as prevalent as they are today. People are not pulling stupid tricks to be mean or rude. they are just unaware of their surroundings as they screw around with their smart phones or are texting. But another part of the problem is a general loss of respect for others. It seems to me as a society we have an "entitlement" attitude and if cars are merging on a busy highway they all seem to think they have the right to just merge into your lane and you are supposed to brake for them or move over.

I doubt if we can stop what appears to be a loss of courtesy. I now enter the coach with the lowest of expectations about other drivers giving me a break, or showing me any courtesy, and I try to be numb to incidents that would have previously pissed me off. And to protect us from a future problem I do keep the dash cam on as long as the coach is in motion. I am not going to stay home so I just have to accept the other drivers for how they are although I really would like a cannon on the front of the coach.

Sawbonz
08-13-2011, 08:52 AM
It seems to me as a society we have an "entitlement" attitude and if cars are merging on a busy highway they all seem to think they have the right to just merge into your lane and you are supposed to brake for them or move over.

I doubt if we can stop what appears to be a loss of courtesy. I now enter the coach with the lowest of expectations about other drivers giving me a break, or showing me any courtesy, and I try to be numb to incidents that would have previously pissed me off.

Well, first, we ARE supposed to make room for them. It really ticks me off when someone won't do it for me when I am the one merging. One of the reasons I believe we still need big engines in our cars.

The loss of courtesy is palpable. In Italy I noticed that the drivers all worked together. There's be 4 lanes of traffic in 3 lanes of space with scooters and motorcycles moving between the rows of cars when they stopped for lights. No one cared, no one got angry. Try that here and someone will for SURE run your a$$ into the car in the other lane or make you a speed bump!

Jon Wehrenberg
08-13-2011, 09:04 AM
Usually I am more than happy to move over for merging traffic. but sometimes the people next to me that I shove into the median get a little testy.

But merging is just a single example of lack of courtesy, stupidity, or inattention. Any one got a cannon for sale?

Sawbonz
08-13-2011, 09:08 AM
You touched on the easy one, Jon. No one wants to hit their brakes, especially me. When I have the cruise on, I expect you to use that merge lane to get up to speed. Now, if you insist on hovering at 30 mph, then no, I won't feel the need to brake for you, but I may speed up to get past you and give you the opportunity to get in behind me.

phorner
08-13-2011, 09:11 AM
I used to think it was the polished stainless that attracted all the wacky drivers toward the bus.... kinda like moths to a light :D

rfoster
08-13-2011, 09:32 AM
The wackos are not just on the road, they hold public office! I just heard that the super committee determined the cheapest place to meet was in Hawaii, and they will be gathering in a week early just to get their sh$t together. Talk about saving tax dollars!

It's no wonder we encounter idiots on the road, but I am with Jon -I ain't staying home.

Mark3101
08-13-2011, 09:55 AM
Jon: I don't want a cannon in front, I want a couple of mini-guns front and back. I like the sound they make. <G>

Jon Wehrenberg
08-13-2011, 10:01 AM
You touched on the easy one, Jon. No one wants to hit their brakes, especially me. When I have the cruise on, I expect you to use that merge lane to get up to speed. Now, if you insist on hovering at 30 mph, then no, I won't feel the need to brake for you, but I may speed up to get past you and give you the opportunity to get in behind me.

Sounds like you are willing to work with merging traffic. I'm not. Let me make that real clear so there is no misunderstanding. If I have room to move over without having to accelerate, brake or take it from cruise control I will. But if moving over is not an option. I am not braking, accelerating or taking it out of cruise control. Paint me as discourteous if you like, but I have reasons for my position on this.

First, I have to consider the people behind me if I intend to brake. What right do I have to inconvenience them? If there is nobody behind me then it is the responsibility of the merging traffic to recognize that once I am past they have the road to themselves. Since I don't know what the merging traffic is going to do it is foolish and maybe dangerous for me to adjust my speed. I have the the right of way and as long as my speed is constant the merging traffic can do what they deem necessary to accelerate to get in front of me or to delay acceleration to fall in behind. If we are both speeding up or slowing down then neither of us knows what the other is doing.

I will always try to anticipate how I am going to deal with merging truck traffic. Unlike in a car the operator cannot stand on the accelerator and see changes in the rate of acceleration. So if a truck is merging I am scanning my mirrors to determine the best course of action for us both. Sometimes a merging truck can be accomodated, sometimes not. But I will not grossly change speeds to help merging truck traffic unless it is the only option. The merging traffic has to yield. We on the right of way have no obligation.

You cannot help people who have no clue about merging. They are terminally stupid and if you think you are being a nice guy by trying to help them you haven't taught them how to fish, you have only fed them for the day. They outnumber you. And right now I think the stupid ones are winning.

Woody
08-13-2011, 10:37 AM
Usually I am more than happy to move over for merging traffic. but sometimes the people next to me that I shove into the median get a little testy.

But merging is just a single example of lack of courtesy, stupidity, or inattention. Any one got a cannon for sale?

THIS MIGHT DO IT~

In stock here in Maine, only weighs 100#

Sid Tuls
08-13-2011, 10:45 AM
I'll buy it how much?????????

travelite
08-13-2011, 10:48 AM
On merging traffic:

The common sense rule used to be: if while driving, you do something which requires someone else to speed up, slow down, or turn, then you've done something wrong (with the obvious stop and go exceptions).

On paranoia:

Although I don't own a Prevost, I do own a bus that is easily confused with a Prevost.

If you tune in to the online social media sites you'll notice a couple of things. First, like minded folks find each other and they band together. This means that extreme world views are reinforced with few if any descending opinions; and second, the language is unbelievable. Folks hiding behind their keyboards let it all out, and it's not pretty. This has to push over into everyday society. Add to this the state of our economy and our unemployment rate, and I think we can conclude that there are a lot of angry, idle young people out there.

Lucky for me, I hail from the great state of North Carolina. North Carolina is a Castle Doctrine state and has a stand-your-ground law. Specifically a lawful occupant within a home or other place of residence does not have a duty to retreat from an intruder. North Carolina enjoys reciprocity with a majority of other states.

I may be paranoid, but that doesn't mean I'm not surrounded by a bunch of crazies.

Woody
08-13-2011, 10:53 AM
I'll buy it how much?????????

$1,250 black powder but no guarantee that you can't overload it.

Pete
08-13-2011, 12:28 PM
I am with Jon on this one....It seems that the last few years have generated a mentality that says "IF I AM ENTERING THE FREEWAY, I ALSO HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY". Why not accelerate and enter the freeway ahead of cars/trucks/busses, or slow down and enter the freeway behind those on the freeway? It really chaps my south side when people entering the freeway challenge those already on the freeway by not trying to "merge" into the traffic flow. They will either enter the freeway at a slower speed forcing you to slow down, then will speed away at a speed faster than the traffic is flowing.
I think it is the mentality of "I want whatever you have, or I want to be wherever you are".

johnklopp
08-13-2011, 12:44 PM
I’m seeing an opportunity to design a defensive weapon that could be easily mounted in one of the bays.

Consider that we all have black water available and compressed air. By using the macerator to properly mix a small slug of say a cup of material and pumping it into a special holding tank. The tank would then be automatically pressurized using the on board air.

The warning shot could be discharged from any side of the bus by simply pushing a dash mounted button.

Just prior to slug discharge a quantity of feathers would be injected into the selected discharge line to give the appearance on impact that they had been hit by a well fed bird.

An optional gun camera would be available to for posting pictures on the forum.

Wonder if this would qualify for a patent?

Sid Tuls
08-13-2011, 03:07 PM
Forget the canon ! I want the new on board version !

phorner
08-13-2011, 03:15 PM
I'd just like to have a big, yellow, flashing light behind the bus.... that I could turn on for the guy tailgating me.... that says "CAUTION!! ABOUT TO FLUSH!!"

Mark3101
08-13-2011, 03:46 PM
I’m seeing an opportunity to design a defensive weapon that could be easily mounted in one of the bays.

Consider that we all have black water available and compressed air. By using the macerator to properly mix a small slug of say a cup of material and pumping it into a special holding tank. The tank would then be automatically pressurized using the on board air.

The warning shot could be discharged from any side of the bus by simply pushing a dash mounted button.

Just prior to slug discharge a quantity of feathers would be injected into the selected discharge line to give the appearance on impact that they had been hit by a well fed bird.

An optional gun camera would be available to for posting pictures on the forum.

Wonder if this would qualify for a patent?

I think you should apply for one. Glad to see that you have continued to think about this idea since we last discussed it in TN. Keep up the good work. Who knows, maybe Liberty would pick it up for an option...maybe call it the mergeinator or something...hmmmm.

Jon Wehrenberg
08-13-2011, 04:41 PM
I am withholding this thread from Di.

However Genius John has now gotten me to thinking such that if I can work around the back splash sure to occur we may have one installed. I never realized we have been carrying the ammo. Now I just have to work out the delivery details.

aggies09
08-13-2011, 07:51 PM
On my way through Illinois headed back to Texas, I had this very event happen. I was driving on the inside lane, a motorcycle wanted to merge from the on ramp, and I had a vehicle to my right that made it impossible for me to do anything except keep moving forward. The motorcycle rider became infuriated and made sure to speed up and give me the finger as soon as he could get in front of me. He did all of this in order to exit the freeway at the next exit. The thought of a "speed bump" crossed my mind, but like most things that cross my mind, it faded quickly.

I know many of you are bike riders and would think that due to the extra danger involved that bikers in general would be more careful and more courteous than most. It just seems that there are more members of our society that have the "its all about me" complex and it carries to all aspects of their life and unfortunately that includes driving.

Sawbonz
08-14-2011, 09:51 AM
Sounds like you are willing to work with merging traffic. I'm not. Let me make that real clear so there is no misunderstanding. If I have room to move over without having to accelerate, brake or take it from cruise control I will. But if moving over is not an option. I am not braking, accelerating or taking it out of cruise control. Paint me as discourteous if you like, but I have reasons for my position on this.

Well, I also have the "three-blink-rule". When I hit my turn signals I give you three blinks to get out of the way and then I'm coming over.

But perhaps you misunderstood me. I am not talking about standing on my brakes when people merge, but someone in a small car may need a few miles an hour off my speed to be safe. That I will do, if unable to move over or accelerate at all ('cause I would rather have them behind me).

Just for interest though, I will paste here from the Florida's Driver's Manual (because that's where I live):
5.12 - Right-of-Way
Who has the right-of-way in Florida? The answer is no one! The law only says who must yield (give up) the right-of-way. Every driver,
motorcyclist, moped rider, bicyclist and pedestrian must do everything possible to avoid a crash.

travelite
08-14-2011, 10:21 AM
Karl, North Carolina has the same rule on it's books, as do most states. You'll notice that the yield signs on merge ramps have largely been taken down. If there's an aggressive semi storming down a ramp, I am afraid we have no choice but to work with him.

Jon Wehrenberg
08-14-2011, 10:48 AM
Maybe its my age or that I am just plain mean, but if I see someone on the on-ramp and I sense a conflict, I also expect to see them (not me) making the adjustment. Forget the physics associated with attempting to adjust the speed of 53,000 pounds. The person merging has two options, both of which will allow a merge without impacting the traffic on the highway. They can step down on the accelerator pedal, or they can ease off the pedal to allow me to advance ahead of them. It isn't rocket science.

But I have had a belly full of people who are afraid to stand on the accelerator pedal in their Subaru or Prius and expect me to slow down or move over so they can do all their acceleration on the highway right of way. In the meantime so they can save a gram of gasoline I am going to take a minute to gain back the speed I had to lose to accomodate these idiots.

I just love the fools that are along side of me and matching my speed exactly, and then have to spike the brakes because they ran out of acceleration lane. Their IQ must match the city speed limit.

We all have been in the situation Tony describes. When traffic is heavy, you cannot move over and you have a string of cars behind you the entire burden for merging has to rest with the on-coming traffic. If I can mange to get a 45 foot bus with a toad onto the highways without and excitement, surely a person driving a car that has 3 or 4 times my acceleration can figure out how to do it.

As to David's comments about trucks, read my previous post. I make every atempt to work with the merging truck. I know they are in the same situation we are with respect to speed changes, up or down, so we all benefit if adjustments can be made. Most truckers however know how to merge unlike a lot of the car drivers.

And Karl, I read your three blink comment and I am taking that as a joke.

As to the Florida and NC laws I would want to read and parse the exact words carefully before I accept the fact that the lwmakers intend for merging traffic to just drive onto the traffic lanes expecting the traffic already there to yield. That is contrary to every other law of the road that I have read. Even in a tie a car involved in an accident with a truck or bus loses.

garyde
08-14-2011, 11:09 AM
If there are 3 lanes, I try to stay in the middle lane, with two lanes, merging traffic is going to determine the speed of that lane. Some of the on ramps around here are so short there is no way a car can come up to speed. I used to try to maintain speed but you just piss people off, so if I can't change lanes, I slow down.

Sawbonz
08-15-2011, 09:57 AM
Jon,

Joke....well, mostly.

I noticed you said you weigh 53000 pounds, which I found interesting. Our is just under that with two slides. I thought the non-slide buses were supposed to be lighter?

charlesebrownjr
08-15-2011, 11:12 AM
Ok, first I want 4 of the new 2011 merginators. That's right 4, one on each corner of the bus so I don't miss an opportunity to ruin some mergers day. Second, I guess all the Shelby GT500 decals I have all over my bus leads people to believe I can accelerate from 70 to 120 in under 6 seconds to get out of their way or the 36" ceramic brake calipers I have on every wheel will allow me to stop from 70 to 0 in the length of my bus (40').
And third, I am 62 and every driving test I ever took (which is one and in most cases that's part of the problem) says to merge with traffic u get up to the speed of the traffic and blend in, not cause a 10 car pileup or come to a complete stop then take off and try to merge, which I have seen attempted many times. LOL drivers.

JIM CHALOUPKA
08-15-2011, 11:48 AM
PETER SAYS, "everyone performs to their highest level of incompetence", witness congress.

JIM :rolleyes: :D

Jon Wehrenberg
08-15-2011, 01:22 PM
Coach, 46,600 plus H2 Hummer, 6,700. Total weight 53,300. More if I have eaten oysters.

Sawbonz
08-15-2011, 06:39 PM
Oh, I see. Mine was 53k coach only. No oysters.

truk4u
08-15-2011, 08:34 PM
But Jon carriers 400 gallons of fuel and a thousand pounds of ammo. The Hummer is really a Humvee.

hhoppe
08-16-2011, 04:54 PM
After traveling in other states I am releived after returning to California drivers. They drive faster, are better more experianced drivers, and have learned to blend in seamlessly with heavy traffic. When we encounter a lost soul in front of us , they usually have an out of state license plate. Trucks and busses towing have a maximum 55 MPH speed limit which keeps accidents of heavy vehicles out of the spectacular range. Heavy traffic areas usually have at least three lanes in each direction. This gives you the middle lane of traffic to travel in allowing merging traffic to join the fun. We are not without ocasional idiots and organ donors but they find a way to survive or join the lord. The key is being alert, know whats going on around you, and ignore the ocasional anoyances. You are a 10 when you start the drive, the trick is to remain a 10 to the end of the trip. Enjoy your fine machines after all you paid through the nose for the priveledge of owning your very own Prevost. Safe driving to you all.

Kenneth Brewer
08-18-2011, 01:25 PM
Read this thread from the beginning today, and contemplating an additional lisinopril dose. Part of the reason is that, no matter what, no one can fix stupid. But problem mergers and lane changers are not just stupid, they are dangerous, and willfully so, it seems to me. Most interstate accidents, to my recollection and observation, are rather close to entrance/exit ramps. 'Entitlement' reasons sound about right to me, because ignorance should only be a factor for a short while, and not for the age of the drivers I see. Although this little vent doesn't really help my bp, I think I will return the favor to others in this thread. The extension of the rage will, for the most part though, only mean something to those in or from the northeast, primarily; the similar antics of drivers when approaching (and often leaving) toll booths when a bus or bus-sized vehicle is next to and/or ahead of them.

I'm sorry. No, really; I am. Because in these circumstances I enjoy using the air horns and watching the result.

TrialGuy
09-06-2020, 08:11 PM
I know this is a very old thread, but several posts seem to resonate with me during these times. How is it going out there? As we are searching for buses, we are talking about steering away from anything that looks too “fancy.” Are we just being paranoid? I worry about it less than my wife, but she does have some legitimate issues she raises. It certainly doesn’t deter us from going full-time, we just want to be prepared and make wise decisions along the way.

Have you noticed any increased hostility toward Buses?

You make an excellent point. To think that the level of civil unrest that is plaguing other parts of world can't happen here is being naive.

It does make sense, however, to be ever vigilant in being aware of your surroundings and observant of those in your immediate vicinity. Don't place yourself or your family at unnecessary risk.

Not paranoid, not afraid to enjoy our lifestyle....... just prepared

JCarrollJr
09-08-2020, 07:02 AM
My two cents worth again.
I think that a maybe the major problem that we are seeing in our society today is due to the age-old problem that we have been dealing with maybe the beginning of time with humanity. It's the green-eyed monster jealousy. Not present in all, but certainly in a significant number of people. Have-nots resenting the haves. Whether it be homes, cars, boats, busses or just lifestyles. There are just those that are going to resent you because of what you have which is in most cases what you have worked hard for, and probably sacrificed for, at sometime early in life. Some are willing to pay the price and some are not. Some rob banks and some just resent the folks that put the money in the banks. Some admire and some resent. I don't think that we'll ever be able to change it. We just have to depend on the law enforcement system to be a deterrent. Sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't. Sometimes we may have to depend on ourselves to be the deterrent. It's sort of like the spare tire. I hope and trust that I never have to use it.
Again, just my two cents worth.

georgiapeachinc
09-09-2020, 11:51 AM
I have been an over the road owner/operator truck driver for 40 years. I taught all my kids how to drive and have respect for all drivers but particularly trucks. I have a cart full of close calls and stories and sharing those would not get any good driving ideas across to anyone. Here are a few defensive driving tactics that work for me and that have helped reduce my cart of horrid stories.

The one thing that irritates all of us and truckers are tailgaters. Usually, tailgaters are particularly anxious when you are in the left lane passing slower traffic for extended distances. They usually think you are just hogging the lane unaware of a line of traffic ahead of you. My trick is to move slightly to the right of my lane momentarily so the tailgating driver can see what is ahead of me. Sometimes they back off slightly realizing you are not the only one holding things up. In addition to that I use the four second rule for distance ahead of the next vehicle. The two second rule they taught us in High school driver education never sat well with me at 70 MPH!

Another thing that is particularly helpful is pulling out onto a road that has limited sight distance at night. A good trick is to flash your high beams on and off several times alerting an approaching driver of a vehicle entering the roadway allowing them to slow down if you make that move to pull out.

Passing: Don't hesitate passing trucks. Get past them as quickly as possible. Truckers don't like vehicles lingering for long stretches along side of them. They have enough to do without having to pay wasted attention on a slower passer.

The biggest thing is to keep a good distance behind trucks. First thing is if there is debris in the road they often can straddle whatever it is due to their height; this can be a disaster for cars or coaches following to close. Furthermore, until you have seen a tire explode on a truck you will be glad you were were well behind that vehicle. That goes for passing quickly too!

One last tip! Try to stay behind a driver that you may believe to be impaired due to alcohol or drugs or even simply erratic behavior. Trying to pass and force distance between your vehicle is risky. What is behind you, you have little control over but anything ahead of you gives you choices to slow down or even pull off the main roadway.

Most truckers are courteous and often flick their headlights to let you know you have room to move to return to the right lane. Flick your clearance lights as a thank you, they appreciate that. They are also aware that you are pushing a 45,000 lb. vehicle down the super slab that requires forward thinking in the same respect they are pushing an 80,000 lbs. + in need of forward thinking.

I hope these few tips give you a better defensive posture in your future!