PDA

View Full Version : Booze requirements

Gary Carmichael
07-31-2011, 12:39 PM
Help me out I am not sure about this, will be going into Canada next week. Question I have read the limit is 40oz whiskey, 50oz wine and 24beers per person. Now can I carry the legal amount of whiskey and wine or just one? Thanks Gary

GDeen
07-31-2011, 03:38 PM
Gary,
Straight from the Canadian welcome website, http://www.canadawelcomesyou.net/travelreminders.html,

Note the "or" in the descriptions. I think at the end of the day, it depends on the customs officer you deal with. We were all girded for proper legal crossing - no extra booze, left the weapon with a friend in Billings, and used up all of our fruit and veggies before crossing 2 weeks ago. The guy asked us three questions: Any guns (in more than one way), how long will you be here, and are you the owner of the motorhome? That was it and we were on our way.

* 53 ounces (1.5 litres) of wine; or
* 40 ounces (1.14 litres) of liquor; or
* A total of 40 ounces (1.14 litres) of wine and liquor; or
* 24 x 355 ml (12 oz.) containers of beer.

phorner
07-31-2011, 05:00 PM
Of course, none of that applies if you carry your booze "in" your person rather than "on" your person.

Just sayin'....

Kuhlsport
07-31-2011, 05:41 PM
I just crossed into Canada 2 weeks ago at Port Huron, MI. Me and two other guys on board were headed to Mosport for IMSA races. Being the law-abiding chicken that I am, we had absolutely nothing on the bus. No meat, cheese, milk, fruit, veggies, booze, beer or guns. They asked how long we were going to stay, where we were going and if anyone had previously been refused entry to Canada. That was it. I was braced for a boarding party and full cavity search. I figured with such a huge vehicle, all the apparent hiding compartments and three guys on board that we would have at least gotten a once-over for good measure. They waved us through and said "have a good race." Fill up before your cross. Diesel was $1.30/litre in Toronto.

Ronald Hiemann
03-01-2012, 12:28 PM
Same fears and same experience here. When we went to Toronto to spend Christmas and New Year's with family, we expected to receive the full treatment, lube and all, when entering Canada. That fear was based on the treatment I have gotten the last few times, when I flew back to the USA from overseas.
Not so at the Canadian border. Similar questions were asked and the guard did only put a cursory glance on our passports. However, he was much more concerned about the bus fitting through the booth, which was very tight. In fact, the border crossing guard commented "next time, keep that sucker as close to my side as possible. That will assure enough clearance on the passenger side." Other than that, no further questions, no inspections. Just a very cheerful, non politically corrected "Merry Christmas!"
Having entered Canada, I figured we will have all the fun when we re-enter the USA.
Not so. Unlike the arrogant and rude treatment at airports, it was almost the same as when we entered CA. This time, however, our passports received just a little more scrutiny. But no inspections, either.
So........ We got to drink all of our booze ... :-) ... Coming and going.
Cheers,
Ronald
Cheers,
Ronald

rahangman
03-01-2012, 11:05 PM
When we were still visiting Mexico on a yearly schedule, I happend across a "loophole" concerning amount of liquor (specifically tequila) allowed back into the US. I had 2 shopping bags of the Miniatures such as on airplanes, due to the constant request from friends/family to bring me back a bottle of Tequila....3 different times, I admitted to the US Officials of what I had and they never flinched at saying "go on " Don't know for sure if its because they thought it novel or if there is no required amount allowed. Of course, one can always offer to pay the required duty if you have more than your allotment.