PDA

View Full Version : Inverter Setting

Seabyrd
07-23-2011, 02:51 AM
Jon..
What are your inverters lowest charge rates? Also what are the default settings for your inverter chargers? I occasionally set mine down when we need more amps available, but never sure how low they can be set. They are normally set on 15. Leg one stays in float mode and leg 2 stays in bulk mode most of the time at least until we get home and hooked to our better power source. We always have a lot more draw on leg 2 the way its set up. Thanks for your input here.
Diane

Fred,

Power management as you know is required to run all 4 CAs. When I want to beat the heat I use all 4 but turn off the HW tank and make sure I don't use any high amp loads like a coffee maker or the microwave. When all 4 are running and I have some lights on and the TV my current draw is around 32 to 33 amps. I have my inverters set at the lowest charge rate so they are not a factor even if I turn on all the lights. In the morning when it is cool I can make coffee, use the dryer or turn on the HW tank because I only have to run two CAs.

Any 50 amp service should easily handle those amperage loads and if the shore power breaker trips it is likely a bad circuit breaker or the connections are loose.

Jon Wehrenberg
07-23-2011, 07:04 AM
Without pulling the remote panels to verify the dip switch settings I think I have them both set to 5 amp maximum.

I have the Heart Freedom 2500 and the remote panels have dip switches in the rear of them to set the charge rate and the charging voltages so they are not like newer inverters that allow setting from the front of the panel.

We rarely dry camp, and on those rare occasions I likely run the generator so the only time my batteries ever get drawn down is if we overnight at a rest area while traveling. The rate of charge doesn't matter because when I start the bus the alternator will be recharging the house batteries. I also never use autostart always preferring to start the generator if my voltage on my 24 volt system drops to about 24.5 or 25 volts. Basically as set my inverters are off my radar when it comes to energy management because they are not set to a high charge rate.

truk4u
07-23-2011, 09:26 AM
Diane,

You say your #2 inverter stays in Bulk mode until you get home. Are you saying your using the generator while driving and it stays in Bulk charge?

Seabyrd
07-23-2011, 09:58 AM
Tom,

No, it's after making a road trip without the generator, just using the OTR, when we park and hook up Leg2 pulls about 10-15 amps more than Leg1 does. Leg1 goes into float after a few minutes and Leg2 takes forever. I had the batteries checked (one year old)thinking they might be the problem but they were fine. I turn the max charge down to 5amps from 15amps in order to run the acs.. it's been 100+ here everyday and that is the only way I can figure to run them. I also turn off the aux compressor... although it hardly ever comes on but if it does the outside breaker will trip.
I have the shore power set at 45amps in this park where we stay every weekend...if it's any higher it trips outside on the pole.
We are currently building an RV pad on the beach here at Crystal Beach, TX and are at the mercy of bad RV park hookups.. many only have 107 volts... so so bad. This one has 115-117volts coming in which is by far the highest on the island.. I picked a spot on a row of 30amp trailers so I would be the only one drawing 50 amps and so far it has worked out for us. Can't wait to have our own power.

Jon Wehrenberg
07-23-2011, 01:10 PM
Some inverters are set to automatically go into bulk charge when they first see 120V power. That might be why Diane's does. When the batteries hit the right voltage then the charge voltage should step down.

truk4u
07-23-2011, 04:22 PM
That explains it Diane.. Some of them I have had go to bulk like yours after running all day when plugging in and would stay there for maybe an hour or so. The Royale I have know goes to bulk/absorption and then float almost immediately since the batteries are full from driving. Sounds like your managing the power well.

Hope you get that power deal worked out, nothing worse than a brown out.

Seabyrd
07-24-2011, 01:03 AM
Thanks Jon & Tom !!

Jon Wehrenberg
07-24-2011, 07:47 AM
Diane,

There are some things that can be changed on your inverters and some things that are just the way they are. For example you can change the charging voltages based on the type of house batteries you have. But you may not be able to change the inverter from going into bulk charge mode every time power is interrupted and then restored. It would not hurt to review the inverter operating manual to see if you do have control over that however.

Mine does that, but if the batteries have a good charge on them the charging voltage drops out of bulk pretty quickly. It does get my attention when shore power is going on and off such as during storms, or when I start the generator while the bus engine is running.