PDA

View Full Version : OTA TV Antenna Upgrade Advice

johnbrowder
06-25-2011, 07:33 PM
My 2003 came with a Braund Concord motorized TV antenna with the controls in the passenger's armrest area. While I have been able to coax it up and down, it is very unreliable, and there have been times I did not think it would come down. If you press the buttons on the controller just right, it responds, usually takes dozens of presses to get it down. When it is down, it still looks bad. One time we arrived at our destination to find the antenna in the up position (it was down when we left). I think it is time for a replacement.

We do use the OTA antenna to feed local stations into our DirecTV DVR, so giving it up is not an option.

The Braund antennas are still available through Barker Mfg, but the whole thing seems dated. I have used omnidirectional antennas in the past on boats, with reasonable results, and I like the idea of a fixed, low-profile antenna (Winegard RS2000), but I read the reception is not as good. Winegard also makes a motorized antenna (MA1000W) similar to the Concord.

Has anyone gone down either of these roads? Results? Other ideas?

Thanks!

Steve Bennett
06-25-2011, 08:34 PM
We went with a fixed antenna, I believe it is a Roadstar. We have 2-boosters attached, and we get reasonable reception. We sometimes use it while driving (not an option with the big ugly motorized antenna!), and are able to pick-up local channels generally within 25 miles of the source. We also get digital HD with this antenna on the HD over the air stations.

merle&louise
06-25-2011, 08:43 PM
John,

I have been wanting to change to an omni-directional TV antenna also for the same reasons you mentioned.

Sounds like Steve has nailed it with his Roadstar + boosters.

phorner
06-25-2011, 09:30 PM
We had similar concerns with our motorized antenna as it became less reliable positioning it up and down. We ultimately replaced it with a fixed, omni-directional OTA antenna.

Don't recall the manufacturer as it was installed by Liberty Coach in Florida.

We're very happy with the digital HD reception we get.

And best of all.....no moving parts!!

johnbrowder
06-26-2011, 01:13 PM
Sounds great: simplify! I am off to CW to get a Roadstar. I will attempt to use the old Concord base as a platform to mount the new antenna. Thanks for the input.

truk4u
06-26-2011, 07:31 PM
John,

I'm doing the same thing using a mounting plate already installed for an older antenna. I'm going for the RS1500 because of the way it mounts instead of the RS2000 with the 3 legged mount. Best price on the net for the 1500 is 64.99 and 94.45 for the 2000. Much cheaper than CW.

CAPT MOGUL & Sandy
06-26-2011, 07:36 PM
What does OTA mean?? Trying to learn alittle here.
Sandy

Alek&Lucia
06-26-2011, 08:27 PM
Over The Air

What does OTA mean?? Trying to learn alittle here.
Sandy