PDA

View Full Version : System Check Malfunction

Will Garner
06-22-2011, 03:53 PM
CC Owners,

The System Check on my coach is doing funny things - well not so funny things. I had been stationary for two months before moving last week. The System Check came on unexpectedly when I hit a bump in the road. I actually first noticed the dash lights flicker then the System Check came on. It did this repeatedly every time there was a slight change in direction or bouncing over a bump in the road. Finally, the repeated on-off cycles, sometimes completing a check and sometimes not, set off the propane monitor. I had to pull over and manually reset the propane monitor.

I don't have a clue what is going on. I'm thinking either an intermittent ground or a problem with the power supply to the System Check board. Any and all advice is welcomed. It would also be good to know where to start looking for the grounding as well as the power supply. I did not have this problem when I parked it, although the System Check did come on a couple of times when the waste water tanks were nearing full, or the fresh water tank was nearly empty. The coach is a 1990 chassis and a 1991 conversion sale date.

Thanks to all of you that may be able to point me in the correct direction.

mike kerley
06-23-2011, 09:22 AM
Will, Most of our system monitor hardware is behind the TV above the driver. I'd turn off the "house DC Power" with the button in the panel by the entrance, and clean all of the contacts on that montor board in the overhead. I believe there are some multi pin plug in connectors that could have a non conductive film on them. Just unplugging and reconnecting may solve the problem. When you turn the DC power back on, your alarm MAY go off, so be ready for that. On our coach, we need to recycle the power every few months to reset the montiors and the "bitch in the box"...

charlesebrownjr
06-23-2011, 10:11 AM
Check with Miles Circo on the POG site and see if he has any solution. Sounds like something is losing power intermittently which triggers the processor to start over all the time. I just had my entire electrical system gone over and some minor repairs made to some of my cards and switches in the ECC cabinet in the front bay. Nick Hessler did all the repairs and very reasonably priced. He was an electrical guy with CC and knows all about all the electrical components in these coaches. He does this for a leaving. (541-954-2452)

mcirco
06-26-2011, 09:53 AM
I never have much luck in solving problems remotely - that said - it is not usual for problems such as this to be caused by an intermittent connection. It can occur almost any where. The connectors are always a good place to start since very few connectors use "gas tight" contacts. Simply unplugging and replugging causes a contact wiping action to occur which may clear oxidation on the contact which could resolve the problem. Unfortunately marginal solder connections on the PC board can eventually fail due to vibration, temperature etc. - a good visual inspection is about the only thing you can do. Not being there, in these situations all I can do is guess. The real solution is the schematic, wiring list coupled with an oscilloscope to diagnose the problem - any other besides me travel with a Tektronix Oscilloscope?

Miles Circo
2004 Contry Coach 45' XLII D/S

GDeen
06-26-2011, 10:03 AM
The real solution is the schematic, wiring list coupled with an oscilloscope to diagnose the problem - any other besides me travel with a Tektronix Oscilloscope?

Miles Circo
2004 Contry Coach 45' XLII D/S

Miles,

This would be a great tech seminar at POG X. Are you making the trip? There are some of us that could really use some show and do tips in tracking down electrical gremlins.

merle&louise
06-26-2011, 10:31 AM
Miles,

I agree with Gordo, that would be a great seminar to see.

I personally don't travel with an Tektronix Oscillascope, but I think my aunt has one that I could borrow!