PDA

View Full Version : Toilets

Just Plain Jeff
11-15-2006, 11:06 AM
May as well speak plainly here.

Since there have been some comments about TOILETS, I started thinking about the options that are available.

Our first bus was a 1989 Angola (shouldn't have sold it) and it had tons of marine components on it, including a self-macerating TOILET. Whatever went into it was delivered to the single black/gray tank as liquid. There are lots of benefits to a self-macerating TOILET as you go to liquid as quickly as possible. (Stop it!)

Here is one: http://marineengineparts.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page96.html ("http://marineengineparts.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page96.html") There are others available as well.

(Not finished yet).

Since the 1980's there have been advances in waste treatment in boats, including the electro-san systems, which break down everything into basically gray water. I will leave how that happens to the smarter people here on the board to muse about.

So, for the daring, there is a possibility to go from Anaconda to almost drinking water in two easy steps.

Now I am done talking about TOILETS.

truk4u
11-15-2006, 07:44 PM
Hey toilet boy, I had an electra-san in a 40' Chris Craft and it worked great, but it must have salt. No problem in the ocean, but in fresh water it needs a salt tank.;)

Joe Cannarozzi
11-16-2006, 12:24 PM
That is some pretty good prices on those Jeff. And why do you regrett selling your first bus?

Just Plain Jeff
11-16-2006, 03:25 PM
It was an '88 'tall' chassis (5 ribs) and was custom made for the original owner. It was in perfect condition when we got it and we did a lot of interior upgrades (carved wood valances and trim). The 8V92 ran like a charm and I think a 40-ft 8V92 has a neat balance to it if you get a good one.

All that being said, it had the dreaded Espar heaters in it and was a, 'no-stopping,' kinda bus. That friggin' thing just had a problem coming to rest. Every bus is different in that respect, but there were many times when we pulled up terribly close to the people in front of us.

Maybe it's just like the first girlfriend you ever had.

There are a hundred reasons why you never got together, but still miss her.

Joe Cannarozzi
11-16-2006, 05:56 PM
Interesting this comment about non-stopping. I just assumed that they all stop like this. Ours is like this, a VERY soft brake peddle. I assume that your current bus stops better? I can tell you this, I can stop our semi, LOADED 75000+ WAY EASIER than I can stop our bus, and the brakes are as good as you could ask on the bus. I can lock the brakes on the Pete loaded easy. I have never had to make a pannic stop but if we ever have to I would be supprised if I could lock up the brakes. Our brother-in law drives truck also, he is the only one I would let drive, and I sure as heck wont let Debbie know.

I wonder if your old bus and ours have a common problem or this is just the way it is? Sure would be nice to find out something is wrong and changable.

Jon Wehrenberg
11-16-2006, 08:41 PM
I think that someone in authority around this joint should start issuing citations for thread creep.

But since I intend to go with the flow (bad choice of words for a thread about toilets) and talk about braking: Joe is absolutely correct. A loaded semi will stop faster than our buses. (I'm not so sure an empty one will).

Our brakes suck, and that is when they are working good.

I can make a few observations. drum brake coaches do not seem to perform as well as early disk brake coaches, which do not seem as good as the newer all disc brake coaches. Perhaps the newer models are the equal of a set of truck brakes. For those that like to tailgate expect to be replacing front bumpers and being in litigation.

If you have a transmission retarder, leave it on and the harder you apply your brakes the more force the retarder employs making a significant difference in braking performance. For the extra help of the retarder however the transmission temperature will climb rapidly and should be monitored, but in an emergency braking situation my guess is a transmission fluid change due to excessive temperatures will be much less expensive than an accident.

No back to your regularly programmed toilet show.

lewpopp
11-16-2006, 10:31 PM
Jon, I don't think it is thread creep going from toilets to brakes.

If the brakes don't work, you won't need the toilet for a while.:D