PDA

View Full Version : GPS

Sawbonz
06-14-2011, 04:30 PM
I don't want a stick on the dash GPS, I want in dash as part of a head unit. Robin at Liberty suggests the KVT 696 and KNA G610. I can find for much less than they want, but the bigger issue is that this appears to be a regular automobile GPS.

I know there are GPS units for trucks and busses. What are you guys using?:confused:

Jon Wehrenberg
06-14-2011, 05:06 PM
Whatever you get it needs to be upgraded frequently so consider if you really want in in-dash unit. Roads are changing all the time. It is bad enough to have bitching betty send you down the wrong street when you are in a car. Now consider heading down the wrong street in a bus with a toad attached so you cannot back up. Whatever you decide make sure you can install updates.

Also I have found with electronics they are out of date about a week after you buy one, and if something goes wrong with it it is cheaper to puy a new one. If you doubt me pick any electronic device you have that is more than a year old and see if you can get it repaired. Then consider if you can get a drop-in replacement that perfectly fits the hole in your dash.

I'm using a Garmin that also gives traffic reports and it will alter the route automatically to take me around a traffic tie-up. I don't know the model number. Prior to that I was using a Garmin 396 which I could overlay XM radar weather over the route so I could anticipate weather. I used the 396 in the plane and it was neat having aviation weather capability in the bus.

pwf252
06-14-2011, 06:19 PM
Garmin does make one that is for trucks. You can program in your length-width-height etc and it will for the most part keep you out of trouble. I have one and it does a pretty good job. You can also take it off truck mode to car mode which eliminates the restrictions. I believe its a 495T BUT AM NOT NEW THE BUS SO DON'T HOLD ME TO THAT MODEL #

jack14r
06-14-2011, 06:22 PM
Most Garmin units can be programmed to a truck,bus or car I don't know about the ones you are looking at.I really like my Garmin 550 that has a suction mount that I mount to the side window,and when I un hook the toad I put it in there for navigation.

phorner
06-14-2011, 08:01 PM
I have an in-dash Pioneer system that combines GPS navigation, audio/video output and rear view camera. It is a great system that has an internal hard drive that will hold hundreds, if not a thousand, songs that are copied from CD's. I use it connected to my iPod which holds every song on every CD I own.

That being said, I use a portable Garmin GPS Nuvi 465T which allows you to program your vehicle as a truck including length, width, gross weight and, I believe, axle loads. It keeps me on truck routes when in this mode.

Sometimes it's fun to use both and listen to the bickering back and forth between the two ....:cool:

phorner
06-14-2011, 08:03 PM
I forgot to mention that the Pioneer unit has a split screen function that allows you to see both the GPS map and rear camera at the same time....

Sawbonz
06-14-2011, 08:51 PM
Looks like the 465T is the thing to do. $2700 for an in-dash unit is a little much anyway. First to see if what is in there works and has satellite radio!

Thanks!

StroupC
06-15-2011, 09:30 AM
Karl,

Check out the new Rand McNally as I have been hearing a ton of great things about it. http://www.randmcnally.com/products/ . For an in dash unit check out the Kenwood Excelon KVT-696 here http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entertainment/eXcelon/Mobile_Video_n_Navigation/KVT-696

rahangman
06-15-2011, 09:41 AM
While I have been using DeLorme for over 10 yrs (long before Bus Ownership) I am currently also using my Garmin Nuvi 650. I find the Garmin easier to move about from the Coach to the Toad or any other vehicle, or even when in a new to me Shopping Mall (to return to my car without a 10 mile hike through a parking lot!!!) This said, the Garmin has not proved to be as user friendly as the Delorme to plan and program a trip. The Delorme is really easier , though that could be from the length of time I have been using it. Downside of Delorme is I use it with my laptop which proves to be a bit cumbersome, but larger map/etc makes it that much easier to use also. Given that, upgrades to DeLorme are only new purchases of their CD's available in many stores and via Internet purchase, whereas Garmin is a simple download off the internet. The Delorme handheld device is really pretty good, albeit almost too small to be able to see... where your s'posed to be going. Good hunting

phorner
06-15-2011, 10:10 AM
Karl,

If you want to check out an in-dash option, check with Elite Audio, 772-692-1633. They are located in a plaza on US-1 about 10 minutes from Liberty Coach near Jensen Beach Blvd.

Elite Audio has a parking lot in the rear of their shop that can accommodate your bus. They do EXCELLENT work and I can highly recommend them.

Sawbonz
06-15-2011, 10:26 AM
Thanks Chris. The RVND5510 looks nice, and seems to do what I want, except for traffic updates. I also wonder if it is difficult to use as it is a windshield mount. Natalie leaning across me to get it for an update may be a distraction! ;)

The Kenwood is what they recommended at Liberty, but it does not seem to be bus specific. There is already a radio in the bus, so a car GPS doesn't seem that helpful, especially for the massive install prices.

Sawbonz
06-15-2011, 10:29 AM
I used DeLorme way back before internet to plan routes from one hospital to another! We even did the laptop in the RV thing once. That lead to one of those "never again" moments, as it lead us down a two track goat path and almost caused a divorce.

Good times, good times!

michaeldterry
06-15-2011, 03:35 PM
We have a few differnt Garmin units in our various vehicles. My favorite unit for use in the bus and the tow vehicle is our Garmin 1350T that has the larger screen and lifetime traffic updates included. We have it mounted via suction cup to a heavy friction base that is stable on the bus dash and I just pick it up and move it to the tow vehicle whenever I need it there. No muss, no fuss!

JPHJR
06-16-2011, 11:30 PM
I have had the new Rand McNally 5510 for abut 6 weeks, and have previously used the Garmins. First, yes, it is a windshield mount. But, I have to agree with the other posts that it is a good thing not to put technology in the dash - as it is obsolete before it is installed. What I really like about the 5510 is the ability to load in all of your own shopping lists, pre-pack lists, pre-start lists, set-up-camp lists, break-camp lists, etc. in the actual check-list part of the nav. While most are probably very proficient with what needs to be done with each such step, I am not a full-timer and love the ability to double-check myself, just as in flying a plane. Checklists are helpful and reassuring. It is also nice to be able to have a standard packing and grocery checklist, of the basics, and be able to tote the 5510 around with you, either in the house, shop or grocery store, to make sure you have everything you need / or want. Another plus is the ability to turn of the RV feature and be able to pop it out of the RV and put it in the toad. The way we travel, we know less about where we are than where we are going - so local maps sure helps. I would have to say that the thing I enjoy the most about the 5510 (even more than the height and clearance routing) is that it is constantly telling me the posted speed limit, the speed I am traveling, and the advance warning of speed limit changes and construction zones. There is a reason that Baskin Robbins has so many flavors - but this flavor works for me as a part-timer who is constantly on new roads and in new cities. I would recommend the 5510 for that reason. Plus, my wife is going to navigate and give driving advice from the right seat regardless of whether I have a Rand McNally or a Garmin!
Jay H (note that Cris is not signing off on this one).
2006 CC XLII / S2

Sawbonz
06-17-2011, 08:43 AM
Ok, Jay, first off....that last line is hilarious!

The check lists thing is VERY helpful to know. They didn't mention it, at least not where I was looking, online. I kind of miss having a checklist like I did in the plane. I still did my walk around in my head, but went through it on paper when I was sitting down. Many times I have lamented the lack of one in the RV.

You mentioned that you used the Garmins, but not what you liked or why you switched. Would you mind?

Do you use traffic on it? I have built in GPS on all cars and really like being able to pull up the traffic en route. Of course, that is satellite traffic, not FM, so I wonder too what the differences are.

Great post, Jay! Thank you.

JPHJR
06-17-2011, 09:22 AM
Thanks, Karl - Humor cures most everything . . . or at least makes it a little more bearable.
The primary reason I switched from Garmin to the 5510 was that it ws time for a new one, and this unit had a checklist ability and could regularly be plugged into my computer for updates on construction, alternate routes, etc. My hope is that this will delay the principle of obsolescity. There is also a buton on it that allows users to "update" Rand about road conditions or immediate traffic problems, which presumably Rand uses to keep its satellite information as up-to-date a possible. Unlike my dash system, you can change a route in motion, and it has a really neat "explore" feature which will plan a fun trip to your destination and point out neat things you should stop and see if you are on a casual trip. Please note that I do not work for Rand - rather just subconsciously trying to justify my decision to purchase the 5510. Oh, I also like to change the "Voice" language to French or Spanish,and turn it up, just to keep things interesting in a new city.
Good luck and good travels.
Jay
2006 CC LXII S/2

CAPT MOGUL & Sandy
06-17-2011, 05:14 PM
For What it's worth here....We have the Garmin Nuvi 660. I just went to update it (I have the lifetime update) and it told me that it would take 5GB to complete the update on my computer. Needless to say, I stopped the process due to my old computer here not having the room. (Maybe my new MAC:D, when I get it:)) will handle it.
Does this sound normal to anyone who has the Garmin that is almost like mine?
Also, I have found that the Garmin isn't that computer friendly.
Sandy

phorner
06-17-2011, 06:06 PM
Sandy,

I also have the Nuvi 660 (although I am now using the 465T) and the update sounds about right.

The last time I updated my 660 it took several hours to download. The good news is that there were no glitches and it all worked out OK.

Good luck ....

rahangman
06-17-2011, 11:30 PM
Sandy, I just upgraded my 650 today, but before I let it take Canada and Mexico, I nixed that and told it to just download the "lower 49" (Hmmm did Obama count them?) but anyway, it still took over 1 hr but I just followed the prompts and had no problems. I have the "for life" upadates but now on their website it is telling you/me that some of the future updates may not work with out of date equipment....Don't like the sound of that. I wonder just how many changes I got this time? I especially like the Garmin for manuvering around strange towns or as I said before helping me to find the car in large parking lots! It is not the easiest to plan a trip with.

CAPT MOGUL & Sandy
06-18-2011, 09:16 AM
Thank you for replying. Will see how things go with this. We don't use ours in planning trips but only when needing to find certain addresses. Still in the "back then" stages of life.
I know that 5GB is alot and just said, "Woooooooo!". Thanks again for the help.

Danss
06-18-2011, 04:31 PM
I want to be sure and get the same kind of GPS that told youall to turn around immediately on tha 2 lane narrow mountain road!!!

CAPT MOGUL & Sandy
06-18-2011, 05:48 PM
That would be the same Garmin Nuvi 660, Dan! I will never forget that! Winding around a mountain, looking over the cliff, and the darn thing says, "Make a U-turn immediately!". Ed said that you could have ours and we are getting one that you have to pay each time for an upgrade.:confused::confused:
Sandy

flloyd
06-19-2011, 09:15 PM
I'm a big fan of GPS and have several units on the bus. I use two of them while driving. One, a Nuvi 760, is just your run-of-the-maill Garmin that I have lifetime updates on. It's "ok", most of the time and it's a windshield mount. It has a bunch of features that I don't use, like Bluetooth, Picture storage, and and RF modulator to send the audio out to the car stereo.

I've been using Garmin's for a long time and these newer units disappoint me on several fronts. First, they don't give any decent satellite status, just a 5-bar display of signal strength. Second, they don't give sunrise/sunset times and perhaps the most infurating, they are S L O W to search the database. The slowness is due to Garmin's decision to put in a cheaper microprocessor.

Earlier this year, I picked up a Garmin GPSMap 378 at a swap meet for $150. It had a fresh data update and a new hard point mounting bracket, and power cord. The 378 came out a few years ago around the same time as the Aviation model, the GPSMap 495 and uses all the same hardware. It even supports XM Radio with an expensive external adaptor. Like the aviation unit, it also doubles as an automobile unit with the full roads database. It does not have a touch screen but instead a bunch of buttons on the front panel.

I mounted it overhead the driver's position, in the left corner where the digital clock was originally installed. It is easily viewable without taking my eyes off of the road and does not block any of the windshield view whatsoever. What I like most about it is that it can do what the little dumbed-down consumer model can't do - it has a fully configurable display that allows you to select from a long list of parameters like speed, altitude, ETA, you name it - more than two dozen parameters. Most of the time, I have min set to display 4 things in large type: Voltage (12v system), Elevation, Time of Day and Speed. It also does regular road guidance like the Nuvi but I don't need it for that. The other things it has are also great. For example, it's got a Tide Calculator, Sunrise/Sunset Calc., Moon and Sun position, Heading, Track, Distance, ETE to next Turn, Course to Steer, etc., just a bunch of real navigation information.

Ok, so it's true that I don't use a lot of these things very often, but on the rare instance that I'm interested in a bit of this info, it's there and it's there FAST. Heck, it even has mileage to upcoming exits and rest areas on the interstate, another thing that the little Nuvi can't kick out.

So, I love the unit and consider it a great $150 investment. If I were to buy a replacement for the dash unit right now I'd be looking at Garmin's DEZL model which has the Trucking database.

Abaco
09-04-2011, 08:29 AM
Hi Guys- I read through all this thread and another. I'm wanting one of the large in dash complete units including GPS. Are there any Iphone or Ipad freaks that have been happy with the way these units integrate and commune with Apples stuff ? Looks like Pioneer and Kenwood both do and sounds like the vote is for the Garmin driven GPS on the Kenwood so far.

I'd also like to use the head unit for the Silverleaf Electronics system that works with a lap top by getting a dedicated mini computer and running an output to the head unit. I would just use the display on the mini computer but I can't find a mini lap top that allows the screen to unfold completley flat which is what for the method I was going to use to make a slot for the mini to drop down in between the drivers dash and the front window.

johnbrowder
09-04-2011, 08:57 AM
Mark,
As far as Silverleaf goes, have you seen the SilverLeaf VMS330? It is a "black box" that has a single composite video-in for your rear camera, and a single video-out to go to any monitor. This will overlay your choice of data over your rear camera display. There is a small dash-mounted controller (about 2" x 2").

You use this control to choose data. You can also select no data display, overlay data, or data only with no camera. It's easy to cycle through these options. It will also display PressurePro tire pressure data.

This unit was just what I wanted, and I have been very happy with it.

Abaco
09-04-2011, 11:13 AM
Mark- I didn't know about that new unit but I looked at on Silverleafs site. I have a feeling it doesn't record engine fault codes and is not as robust as the cable that works with the software and laptop but maybe for the sake of simplicity is it worth it to forfeit some of the info. I think the engine faults are useful and guess I would need another type of reader for those unless I want to interpret the "Morse code" from the flashing lights which I found tedious. I dropped a line to Jim Sheppard who I got the umbilical cord from for the laptop software to see what he can tell me.

I've been checking out some YouTube videos this morning and found some pretty cool in dash installations of I-Pads which from a GPS stand point is the best in my opinion because of the large viewing size. I use a paid app called Co-Pilot preferred over the stock GPS the Ipad (or Iphone) comes with. Many of the other features build into the $1,000 plus in dash do it all systems are not essential for me. I'll wait for Jerry W maybe to point out what I might regret not having since he's using the unit I'm eyeballing. I think one thing I'd forfeit is being able to access the phone book and make calls through the sound system which is something I would get use out of. Check out this bad to bone I-Pad install on the dash of a truck. http://www.youtube.com/user/torres1708 One advantage that comes to mind is that because this installation lets it come in and out with ease, it makes it easy to relax somewhere else besides the cockpit and browse for points of interest or plan your next stop and then slide er' back into place and go. I don't think a motorized release is needed like the video installation shows. Just something that drops in from the top would work. Getting rid of the old fashioned back up monitor would free up about half the needed space and it would depend on the rest of your dash layout whether an Ipad would fit.

This installation allows to put new I-pads as they are introduced (as long as they don't change the dimms). One problem using this as the back up monitor is that the I-pad only has a way to put video out, not video in. But researching this morning I found some posts that could be of interest to other Ipad enthusiasts on a forum which also comments on some advantages for incorporating it aircraft mapping apps so I'm including here for those of you that fly and may find this useful. There is also a work around for the video input problem. The thread is here and post number 17 and 19 discuss the two references. http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/4424-ipad-live-video-input-2.html

johnbrowder
09-04-2011, 04:38 PM
The VMS330 does record the codes. Silverleaf's website is subpar. Call them to get the scoop. I ordered direct.
John B

Abaco
09-16-2011, 09:36 AM
I’m installing a new multifunction style head unit in the dash today. It will replace the old dedicated back up monitor. Any problem tapping off the reverse wire on the push button Allison control to allow the back up view to work in automatic mode ? Anything I should be aware of other than finding the right lead off the bottom of the transmission control panel to run the signal to the dash head unit when reverse is engaged ?

Jon Wehrenberg
09-16-2011, 10:19 AM
I get very afraid of tapping into devices that might be sensitive to loads. It may be perfectly fine, but I have learned on some systems it is not. I know the distance is an issue, but have you considered seeking the forward connection to the back up lights and using that? If the load is high it would be pretty easy to use a relay to carry the new unit.

Prevost wiring diagrams are on line at the Prevost Car site and those diagrams will help you find the specific location of components and the wire numbers. If you have trouble and can wait one of the seminars in Austin will be a tutorial on how to navigate the diagrams and Prevost Car site.

Abaco
09-16-2011, 11:33 AM
Jon- The distance is only a few feet from the electronic transmission controller to dash camera. I do not need to make a run to camera in the back. What other "forward connection" do you refer to ? Thank you.

BrianE
09-16-2011, 11:33 AM
Mark, Per Jon's suggestion you should find a backup light terminal on the forward terminal panel beneath the driver's seat. On my '98 chassis it is terminal #39 "From Transmission Module" (check voltage). For simplicity and utility however you might consider attaching the backup wire to a simple toggle switch next to the monitor to activate the backup camera. You can use any convenient 12v source in the instrument panel to accomplish this.

Jon Wehrenberg
09-16-2011, 02:02 PM
Your current back up camera should already receive a reverse signal, but if it does not and you cannot tap into it there then I do stick with my concern about tapping into the key pad wiring and instead look for the circuit Brina mantions. Prevost is very good about keeping circuit numbers the same so his information should apply to your coach.

Abaco
09-18-2011, 11:31 AM
Jon- See above if you can clarify. Thank you.

Further, the sound system is in and everything came out great except for having to velcro the old monitor on top of the dash for now. We ordered the right adapter from Inventec the maker of the monitor to adapt the connection to the Double Din head unit. Result, no picture. Called them up again to see "was up?" and they said that the black and white camera won't work with this color monitor ? Really ? Ok. Sound shop figures we need to put another matching adapter in the back with a new color camera for it to work. Confirmation form the brain trust that have done theirs similar already ? A lot of owners have upgraded their A/V to include using the monitor on the new units for dual purpose since they have two inputs so I can PM or email some of them if anyone knows specific members.

Jon Wehrenberg
09-18-2011, 01:10 PM
Mark, my only specific recommendation is to avoid tapping into the keypad wires. If you are pulling an existing back up monitor it should already have a reverse lead as part of the input because I think all installed back up monitors automatically turn on as soon as reverse is selected. We leave ours on all the time just to watch the toad, but if it were turned off as soon as reverse was selected it would come on.

As to color, I have a color monitor, but since the original system was B&W and I haven't changed the camera, wiring or adapters I just get a B&W image. You can guess that is not high on my list of stuff to get or change on the coach.

Coloradobus
09-18-2011, 02:34 PM
Our 2 cents. We have had 3 Prevost with color back cameras, and the current coach has B&W. For crispness and clarity, we notice a big difference, we prefer B&W.

Abaco
09-18-2011, 04:46 PM

I don't give two beans about having a color back up monitor either. I'm being told by Inventec (the original 97 monitor manufacture) that a black and white camera won't work without this color monitor and that sounds like bull. I ordered an adapter for the front connector to the new style of input that this head unit required. Tech at the sound shop was fairly sharp. He got back on the phone with Inventec tech support that told him we need a color monitor or it won't work. They're must a converter or adapter for this. Who else to call I wonder. Maybe just Inventec again and ask again (different tech support person). I've got things taken apart back there now changing out the dash A/C compressor so can't verify if monitor comes on automatic in reverse but I think your right about that one from memory.

So for now, I've got the old BW monitor on top of the dash until I solve it. (see photo)

Jon Wehrenberg
09-18-2011, 06:31 PM
These folks are excellent and they will definitely help you.

http://www.rvcams.com/Default.htm

Abaco
09-18-2011, 06:49 PM
Ahh yes. They should have the right converter. Thanks for the good referral.