PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Toad Regulations

rickdesilva
06-06-2011, 10:49 PM
I'm headed to Canada (Ontario) this summer through New York State. I'm towing my Santa Fe (3700 lbs.), I don't have any aux. braking device. I know you need brakes on a trailer if its over 3000 lbs. Does this also include dinghy towed vehicles? Also anything else I should know going through customs, besides leaving all my firearms home?

Sid Tuls
06-06-2011, 11:27 PM
Rick according to my brother you have to have a breaking system on the tow vehicle. He didn't and they made him unhook. Then he just hooked up 5 miles down the road.

Mark3101
06-07-2011, 08:45 AM
Make sure you have your passports with you too or you won't get back... I know one person who had to unhook, and one who had no issue without a brake system. I think I would get one and never have to worry about it.

Kenneth Brewer
06-07-2011, 09:15 AM
I'm headed to Canada (Ontario) this summer through New York State. I'm towing my Santa Fe (3700 lbs.), I don't have any aux. braking device. I know you need brakes on a trailer if its over 3000 lbs. Does this also include dinghy towed vehicles? Also anything else I should know going through customs, besides leaving all my firearms home?

Pray you don't have to brake hard on a downhill in the rain (not to mention ice or snow or gravel) in a corner, or on a wet unpaved road somewhere. I would get a toad braking system immediately, as friendly, though unsolicited, advice. Good luck, take care.

Pete
06-07-2011, 09:36 AM
Rick, in addition to firearms, they love to collect taxes on any alcohol you may have on board. When we crossed into Canada they collected almost $40.00 on 4 or 5 bottles of wine. They will RAG you to death about guns if you have Texas license on your vehicles (which you don't have to worry about) we have crossed twice, and you would have thought we were criminals. I would add some type of brake to the toad though.

Larry W
06-07-2011, 04:48 PM
Years ago I did not have braking on the toad. Then I got it but really did not make much difference in about 80,000 miles plus of towing. Then the day it all paid for the set up. After about 3 hours of driving with no stops suddenly the pin holding the tow bar in the hitch vanished. The toad hit the end of the safety cables but the break away feature worked. We got stopped without the toad coming in contact with the rear of the bus. Yes a prevost will pull the toad off the road even with the toad brakes applied. Have good safety cables.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
06-07-2011, 05:12 PM
After about 3 hours of driving with no stops suddenly the pin holding the tow bar in the hitch vanished. The toad hit the end of the safety cables but the break away feature worked. We got stopped without the toad coming in contact with the rear of the bus. Have good safety cables.

Larry you mentioned that your pin vanished ? Could someone have taken it out at your last stop? Or maybe they removed the cotter pin to mess with you and it worked its way out during the 3 hour drive? Another reason I use Key Locked pins in all access points of my tow bar and hitch. From the very beginnnig I purchased ( Keyed Alike Safety Pins from BlueOx ) and have never looked back. As long as I remember to put them on properly and make sure they are locked, they will never be messed with or come off for no reason.

BX88177 4-Lock Kit

Contains 2 - 1/2" locks and 2 - 5/8" locks.
Locks Blue Ox towbar to the baseplate and receiver.
Prevents accidental unhitching.
Sturdy construction for strength and durability.

Just my way of doing things.

Gary S.

LNDYCHT
06-07-2011, 07:28 PM
Rick,

Below are the requirements for toads from the Ontario MTO website http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/pubs/recreational-vehicles/part3.shtml#b
Canadian border guards don't like guns as you already know, the Canadian government loves tax money for alcohol and tobacco as previously stated.
I know a border guard, they pick on people who hesitate when questioned and don't have a plan. If you have a destination and answer without thinking you will not likely have a problem.
There are no Pelican Lake style parks in Canada although Ontario is beautiful in summer. If I can be of assistance feel free to PM me. There is always a 50amp hookup and water and all are welcome.

Brake Requirements

Service brakes are required on house trailers if the trailer's axle(s) transmit more than 1,360 kgs (3,000 lbs) to the road when the trailer is attached to the towing vehicle. This applies to cases where the trailer is loaded or empty. If brakes are required, at least one axle of the trailer must be fitted with brakes.

Brakes are not required on towed motor vehicles, whether towed with a tow bar or on a dolly. Tow dollies do not require brakes whether or not the dolly is carrying a motor vehicle.

House trailers with electric or hydraulic brakes are not required to have trailer breakaway braking devices or parking brakes while being towed in Ontario. Breakaway devices may be required in other Canadian provinces, the US and Mexico. Please contact those jurisdictions for their requirements.

BoaterAl
06-08-2011, 09:26 AM
FWIW..using key lock pins and you will never worry about someone messing with the toad or it's parts. Years ago while at an overnight RV park one of the other coaches lost the entire tow bar, cables, electric cord. All gone, pretty easy to remove when you think about it.

Larry W
06-08-2011, 11:47 PM
Well the pin that vanished was a lockable pin. It vanished after 3 hours of driving with no stops going east on I-70 over Vail pass and then the tunnels at Loveland pass. The pin vanished just as we approached Denver. I am certain the pin broke and fell out. There is now a grade 8 bolt with a self locking nut for a pin.

rfoster
06-11-2011, 10:30 PM
Talk about timing, today on the run home from Mytle Beach SC, I lost a pin out of the Blue ox tow with an H2 Hummer. All this in bumper to bumper traffic and thank God 55 mph instead of 65 or 70mph. I made a hole real quick with a H2 scooting down the road sideways and bouncing off the retaining wall of a bridge. Looked like Kyle Bush getting a Darlington stripe according to eye witnesses.

It was a miracle no one was hurt - nor the bus and not even the hummer. Safety chains and the remaining drivers side pin held it all together. Somehow the violent back and forth cut the electric cord into two short wires.

Fortunately I was able to fire up the Hummer, back up a few feet, retrieve a new pin from the extra pin drawer, hookup, and resume the trip. After changing my pants.

I will definitely be getting some new pins, locking that is.

rickdesilva
06-12-2011, 06:51 AM
Thanks for all the info and offers of help. I'm going to get some type of toad braking device before I venture into Canada, I don't need the drama at the border.

Damn Roger, you are one lucky ole redneck! Maybe you should go back to the Mini. After all this happened did you stop at the BVD outlet in Myrtle and buy a dozen pack of Boxer Shorts?

Jon Wehrenberg
06-12-2011, 07:02 AM
You cannot buy excitement like that. Any idea how a pin with the retainer could come out? Somebody vandalizing?

JIM CHALOUPKA
06-12-2011, 09:38 AM
Happy it all turned out OK Roger.

Wondering Jon, does the recording camera you installed have a provision for a rear camera? Thinking as I type, I guess not. One would probably have to have a second camera to record tampering in the rear area.

In these times the have and have-not confrontations become an ever present concern.

I am thinking there might be an easy and inexpensive way to retain the tow bar in the socket with a safety cable. I have not removed my tow bar since installation and if it were not quick and clean to remove, I would not care. My draw bar contains the swivel and does not have a conventional ball on the end of the draw bar and a ball socket on the tow bar. If one had a cable that prevented the draw bar from leaving the socket if the pin should sheer or by some means be removed the draw bar would stay in the socket and control would be maintained.

truk4u
06-12-2011, 09:42 AM
You hear about these missing pins quite a bit. I know of one guy who stopped in a rest area at night and someone removed one of his pins and he suspected a Trucker who didn't much like RV's by his recent CB yacking.

I use locks instead of the clip pins, but you still have the baseplates that can't be locked, at least Blue Ox you can't.

Pete
06-12-2011, 10:07 AM
I try to check all of my pins ect. at every stop, and have considered locks but are concerned about getting the tow car away from the coach in case of an emergency. Damned if you do or damned if you don't.

Roger, what a lucky guy that no damage happened. Maybe someone should ride in the Hummer in case it happens again! Since Micki drives, looks like it might have to be YOU. Loc will probably hire someone to sit in his tow from now on.

Jon Wehrenberg
06-12-2011, 05:06 PM
I agree with Pete. When we had the bus fire I burned my hand disconnecting the Jeep from the rear of the bus, but got it away without any damage. If I had to deal with locks I am not sure I could have. I guess if there is more risk of vandals than fires I would have to go with locks.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
06-13-2011, 01:57 PM
I use locks instead of the clip pins, but you still have the baseplates that can't be locked, at least Blue Ox you can't.

Truk, I guess I don't understand your comment about not being able to LOCK the Blue Ox to the base plates ? With my Adventa Blue Ox set up, my locking pins work great. Some of the other set ups won't allow these type of pins.

I have 4 locking pins all keyed alike. Two of them go into the base plates on the hummer, and the third locking pin is on the reciever hitch on the bus, and the 4 is on the back of the hummer, to KEEP MY POG badge secure in my hummer reciever !

Gary S.

truk4u
06-13-2011, 08:24 PM
Sponge,

I have no way to install a lock on the base plate, but I suppose if the tow bar is attached and locked, there would be no way to pull the ring and twist the base plate to remove.

GDeen
06-13-2011, 10:01 PM
So is there a nice slightly beat up Hummer on the lot at Parkway now?

rfoster
06-14-2011, 08:02 AM
Yes Sir, in addition to some scrubbed up sidewalls of the tires - it has some nice hail damage from April 27 at no extra charge! Blue Ox baseplates are not included but can be purchased for additional $$$$.

When unhooking the tow upon arrival at home the pin that survived was bent so bad I had to use a hammer and punch to get it out.

I don't think vandalism played a part, as there was really no real opportunity, operator error?? don't think so, I believe the lynch pin failed to hold and the larger pin either fell out or was sheared apart.

That is where I start considering the suggestion someone else made about grade 8 bolts with lock nuts.

Seabyrd
06-15-2011, 01:21 AM
We had a very simlar experience in Dallas at 2am... we left Stewart & Stevenson's (they work all hours of the night there) in the pouring down rain... visibility was horrible.. concrete construction baricades on both sides for about 5 miles of narrow winding road.. after I got onto the freeway and sped up a bit I noticed some idiot behind kept trying to pass me and then pulling back behind me.. my camera was foggy looking and unclear due to the rain and humidity so I couldn't figure it out.. I just kept complaining to my sleeping husband about the "idiot" behind me that would venture way out then go back ! After awhile of watching the idiot behind me and getting more and more annoyed I went under some really bright lights and the camera lit up and the idiot came back out where I could see him/her/it clearly in my mirrors and it was our suburban.
I nearly fainted...very very slowly pulled over on the shoulder and for the first time was GLAD that it was just past 2am and no traffic to speak of !!
We got out and checked the Blue Ox and sure enough one of the pins were gone and the bar was dragging .. it wore off a good 1/2 inch of steel.. the suburban had also been bumping the rear of the bus when trying to pass me!! Strangely enough it wasn't too bad... just looked rubbed more than anything.
We now have the Blue OX locking pins too and a new rear view night vision camera.. I am so thankful that it didn't cause a horrible accident.. The missing pin must not have come out or broken until I got on the freeway or the suburban would have been beaten to death in that narrow winding lane... I do remember the lane was very rough and full of potholes and I was driving very slowly... we were lucky.
Didn't bother Larry a bit.. he slept through most of it (until I screamed at him that we were being passed by our suburban) and after we got back on the road he slept for the next 180 miles... Must be nice !!
I can tell you I was wired for the next few hours !!

rfoster
06-15-2011, 08:15 AM
I can relate to how you felt! Knotted up, very anxious, on edge of the seat etc.

Larry, on the other hand- I can only envy!