PDA

View Full Version : ZipDee awning locks

Ledo
05-30-2011, 10:57 AM
My newest project appears to be the locks on the awning have become damaged according to the ZipDee website. These awnings were new to me when I bought my bus and was informed that the locks should be engaged after the awning is extended. That is only not true but according to ZipDee damage can occur if it gets windy which is exactly what has happened. I am leaving in 2 days and have until then to figure out how to unlock the roller and close it all in a 20 mph wind that never seems to let up here in New Braunfels. The levers seem to lock solid when in travel lock position but the awning will only roll up about 1/2 a turn when unlocked. Any suggestions that do not include drilling out the rivets and removing the end caps by myself?
Thanks, Doug
727-808-7406

Jon Wehrenberg
05-30-2011, 01:16 PM
Having had two awnings that were affected by winds, one while driving and one while parked I can say with confidence if you have the slightest misgivings about how well your awning is locked you need to figure out a way to secire the awning in a stowed position.

When our awning failed while driving in horrible wind gusts that caused the locks to fail I ended up on top of a step ladder with a wire coat hangar securing the awning so it would not unroll. I have the same manual Zip Dee awnings today and I engage the locks, I have a pivoting catch in the center of the awning that engages in a receiver riveted to the aluminum outer roll and as if that was not enough I wrap velcro around the arms and the bottom height adjustment rod.

You have not had excitement until you are driving at highway speeds and your awning decides to unroll and then proceed to swing in and out at random beating the hell out of your coach and your nerves.

truk4u
05-30-2011, 08:23 PM
Doug,

It takes two people, but you may be able to hold the locks in the "unlocked" position while rolling up the awning. I had this happen one time to just one side and was able to use the rod to hold the lock open until is got it retracted. If that won't work, then the locks are probably damaged beyond any temporary fix.

Ledo
05-30-2011, 08:47 PM
The winds laid enough to give another run at dropping the braces and trying to roll it up again. With the locks unlocked I tried rolling it back and forth by hand hoping it would make it past its stop until finally I felt a snap and more movement. I had to manually twist the awning all of the way up by hand all the time trying to keep the wind from taking us both over the top. I only have a 3 step ladder that I carry so at the top I was out of reach and it was at a stop again just before it went under its travel cover. I used medium strength words for a couple of minutes to no avail. Finally after letting out with one special word and a shove in it went. Whew. Time for a drink. I love relaxing and camping. Back to Houston next week for the state Sporting Clays shoot and then to Dallas the following week to visit Marathon and hopefully get this computer working so I can see numbers and levels.

Hint to all the Men and Women out there, I also learned today that whoever is in the bus while you are making any repair which may need assistance, they will NOT be able to hear you no matter what words you use or how many times you repeat them.
Roughing it smoothly.

BoaterAl
05-30-2011, 09:36 PM
I'm also a member of the zipdee awning over the roof club. Apparently the "C" clip installed to hold the awning closed had unlatched. No better fun on Sunday afternoon then getting control of all the awning parts and canvas on the side of the road. After that excitement I used a plastic tie to know the "C' clip is secure. Well, worth the inconvenience to cut the tie and open the awning.

AmeriStar
05-31-2011, 12:20 AM
The swivel hook locks that our awnings have, do have a tendancy to become loose. I have installed a third in the center of the patio awning and took a round file to slightly 'notch' the hook. the notch really has helped with locking the awning securely.

Jon Wehrenberg
05-31-2011, 07:09 AM
While I cannot claim to be a fan of ZipDee I know from seeing plastic motorhomes with other brand awnings our experiences are not unique.

On more than one occasion we have gone by a motorhome on the side of the road with its awning unrolled and banging itself open and closed. When that happened to us we were outside Barstow CA in extremely gusty wind conditions and when the awning opened and filled itself with air and began banging against the coach I thought I had been hit by a car.

The second event was in Colorado Springs and we were in a rally with about 200 coaches. The air was calm and our awning was open. Without warning we got hit by a strong gust and the wind speed picked up quickly. It hit so hard and so fast it ripped the arms from the coach and jammed one of them between the air horns and the roof. Four guys were walking by and with five of us we were able to get the awning under control. I had to secure it to the roof. We stopped at ZipDee for repairs and they did a great job including upgrading it with the C locks. Several other coaches at the rally also lost their awnings that day.

There is no substitute for doing all possible to secure the awnings. And because of the awning I always carry a ladder that can allow me to reach the awning or get on the roof. If our coaches have a weak spot it is the awnings.

Jerry Winchester
06-01-2011, 03:15 PM
Doug,

I have repaired the lock on one of my awnings and it wasn't that bad, but is a two man job. I also carried, before I got traded busses, some big industrial strength plastic zip ties (thanks Kevin Erion) to secure them with in the event of inadvertent awning extension while driving. This was more of an issue with the front driver side awning.

If you want to come to the hanger and change it out while you are in town let me know. I'm a good supervisor and I have all the tools for the job.

Ledo
06-01-2011, 10:33 PM
I am amazed at how many awnings have come open with gusty winds while driving. Last thing I was worried about was that happening. JW thanks for the offer but I don't think I'm going to have the spare day to do it. Tomorrow is my only free day and I have no parts not even knowing what may have broken. I shoot fri, sat and Sunday and drive to Dallas Monday. I plan on trying to take it on next week while up there if possible I guess. I will be going by marathon for some repairs but wasn't to keen on adding the awnings to their tab.

Jerry Winchester
06-01-2011, 11:04 PM
Where are you shooting?

Ledo
06-02-2011, 08:18 AM
At American Shooting Center. It is the Texas State Sporting Clays Championship. We are parked at Lakeside Resort on South Main.

Jerry Winchester
06-02-2011, 03:22 PM
We used to hold out company invitational tourney there, but more recently have been shooting at Rio Brazos or Greater Houston. Good luck.

Ledo
06-02-2011, 10:44 PM
Shot a few weeks back at Rio Brazos. What an amazing piece of property that is. We should all be so blessed as to have 1000 acres that looks like that, paid for with nothing to do but look at it, fish on it or shoot a bird or two on it. Practiced at Greater Houston today. Great tower shot they have there, it was set half way up. You wouldn't have any idea the club was there if someone had not told you. Nice place for members. I am wondering who will show up to shoot, Jeckyl or Hyde. Jeckyl has been showing up lately which is making bowling look better and better but at least Hyde shows up in practice occasionally.

Jerry Winchester
06-02-2011, 11:46 PM
I was poorly choked for the tower a few months back. It was set high with a hefty wind. It was humbling.

Ledo
06-11-2011, 08:37 PM
I can't have just a simple fix it and be done with it project, it has to become a worse case sanario. I had ordered my new Z-locks and they were in route to The Vineyards campground in Dallas. The day before they were to arrive it was unbearably hot and I figured I would pull out the awning since it needed to be extended anyhow to do the parts replacements. I was only gone a short time when upon my return I could see from across the lake inlet that something didn't look right at the bus and that the awning was it. Of course it was that same damn gust of wind that has been following me since my arrival into the state a month ago that nailed me again this time blowing the awning up and bending extension poles and breaking swing mounts. Lovely. Luckily the paint received very minor damage. I was able to reextend and hand roll the awning back into travel position. Marathon thought they may have spare zipdee parts to help me fix so I moved and they helped immediately upon my arrival. No parts to help though. We needed to extend again to find a model number they think but none was to be found. Time to roll. 3/4 of the way up and that's it. The awning doesn't want to play anymore. I'm ready to pull my shotgun and blow it off of the side of the bus now and I can do it and not touch the paint! Two guys on ladders working it back and forth hard w me pulling on the strap let it slowly inch it's way back out. Replaced the locks on both ends without the extension braces since they are both broken but rolled back up beautifully. I will have to go thru the removal of both arms again once new parts arrive somewhere down the road. We are headed to Santa fe next in route to Vegas then s California. Definitely a 2 man job if there is ANY wind.

JIM CHALOUPKA
06-11-2011, 09:31 PM
Many campers, usually trailer folk, tie down their awning corners with a cord to steel rods pounded into the ground. Some use a semi transparent material that lets light and wind pass through. This forms a sort of lean to wall making an outdoor room of sorts and ties the awing down as well.

All this looks in the way of the plastic shield. They seem to work though and I am considering trying each awing tie down.

Still no plastic shield though :p

JIM :D

garyde
06-12-2011, 01:53 AM
8311 I lost my Zip Dee a couple of years ago while driving in high cross winds in Nevada. I stopped on the side of the road to see what happened. Nothing left but the arms and one cross support. I did not have a ladder at the time so I opened a cargo bay door and got on top of the bay door while my wife held the door stable.
Then I disconnected the cross arm support. The awning cover was still attached and I had no way of securing it until I got to a truck stop. They had a stair ladder. I used a razor knife to cut the cover off and left it at the station. There is no way to store the awning drum even if I had gone back to look for it so I just kept the arms and went on my way.
Zip Dee manufactured a new assembly for me and I had the company in LA which works on Gulf streams install the new unit.