PDA

View Full Version : Zip Dee awnings

Sid Tuls
05-28-2011, 11:52 PM
Have a burn out motor on one of my awnings. My question is how big of a job is it to replace the motor? I have called Zip Dee and they said I needed to remove the motor and get the number off of it and they would send a replacement. Cost of about $675.00 they said it was a big job. Just wondering if someone else has done it and that way I know what to expect. Thanks

garyde
05-29-2011, 12:13 AM
Hi Sid. If the motor will come out without removing the whole darn awning from the roof, it should be a hour or so. do you have the Zip Dee awning booklet which shows the installation and maintenance? If not, order it from Zip Dee. It will have a step by step instruction for installation and removal.

jack14r
05-29-2011, 08:20 AM
I had one fail and the awning had to come off to get the motor out,I was told that they are on the third generation motor.

Sid Tuls
05-29-2011, 10:08 AM
Gary, I did call them and they are going to email me all the information. From what it sounds they have had a lot of problems with their motors.

Jack, I spoke to Rick Thompson and that's what he also said that they were on the third generation motor. You would think that they would of put the motors on the ends of the awnings instead of the centers! That way you at least could get to them instead of having to remove the whole awning. Looks like it's going to be a big job. I will try to take some pictures of the removal and replacement of the awning. Just wondering if the other electric awning has their motors in the same place?

Steve Bennett
05-29-2011, 10:27 AM
Sid, we have done it here. It is not that bad, but it does take 2 people because you need to lift the awning out of its mount on the roof. It took us about 2 hours to do. Gary, Sid has the roof top new century awnings not the air/electric like what is on your Liberty.

Sid Tuls
05-29-2011, 05:03 PM
Sid, we have done it here. It is not that bad, but it does take 2 people because you need to lift the awning out of its mount on the roof. It took us about 2 hours to do. Gary, Sid has the roof top new century awnings not the air/electric like what is on your Liberty.

Steve, do you do this kind of repair in your facility? If you do when and if you can do it?? I would love to have someone like you do it!! 559-901-6426

Mark3101
05-30-2011, 10:31 AM
I am not too happy with Zip Dee awnings. When we got the bus (oct 26, 2009) the dealer had just put in a new motor in the front driver's side awning. Less than 4 times of opening/closing that awning, the motor failed again. In February 2010 I ordered a new motor from them and when it arrived, it was the wrong one. I had given them all the info for the order and they admitted to shipping the wrong one, but would not pay for shipping for the next one. Even though they screwed up, I had to pay another shipping charge. Then when we returned the old motor, Zip Dee would not warranty the motor because it had gotten "wet" according to their "inspection".

They also want a modification made to allow water to get out by drilling the housing when installing the new motor. They have a problem, and it is up to the customer to pay for it.

BTW, Steve is right, it is a two man job. I did mine when Dave from Styleworks RV Repair was here last year. He knew how it all came apart and how to adjust it.

Sid Tuls
05-30-2011, 11:31 AM
Thanks Mark, that's what my guy said also! He said they are on there 3rd generation motor. Steve Bennett is checking on some info for me. It's to bad that zip Dee treated you like that, hope they hear about it also.

Mark3101
05-30-2011, 02:52 PM
They heard about it, but I don't think they really care. The were pleasant enough on the phone, but I had to call several times over about a 6 week period to find out if they were going to warranty the motor that failed. I asked them how it could have gotten wet since we never used it on our way home, and it sat in the garage since then. It failed in the garage as well. I was showing a friend how they worked and it decided to blow the breaker when trying to retract it. After I explained all this to Zip Dee, they still maintained that it was a water problem. Hmmm....I guess since they are mounted OUTSIDE that may have something do do with that, eh?

In any event, we hardly ever use the damn things anyway. We usually are only someplace for one or two nights and don't need them that much.

Bill1170
05-30-2011, 08:22 PM
Mark, this sounds pretty bad on the part of Zip Dee I would not have expected that attitude from them.
Steve have you seen much trouble with these new awnings?

Jon Wehrenberg
05-30-2011, 08:41 PM
I was at a rally one time and ZipDee had a team of techs there to service awnings.

Of the 50 or 60 coaches that were there a significant number had some repairs or adjustments. Those two techs were worked like slaves. At that point I added manual awnings as must-have items. No power awnings for me.

rahangman
05-30-2011, 10:07 PM
My 2 cents about ZipDee. Having heard such "Good" things about their service we made a trip to them. After an estimate of 3-$400 estimate, it wound up nearly $1200, but, that is ok, we got what we wanted & needed. That said, the first rain storm after their work, I had a deluge inside from , when investigated with a cabin pressure system, the railing used to hold the big awning had somehow come loose. This awning had never had any leakage before they worked on it. They had a "heck" of a time removing and replacing the large spring which I think caused the leak. They are adamant that they did no work that could have done this, but the fact was the leak was the mounting having been torn loose. My unhappy experience with them. Thats all.

merle&louise
05-31-2011, 08:05 AM
I have both Zip Dee and Girard awnings on my coach. I like the Girard much better; it works everytime.

Can it fail with a high gust of wind, sure it will - any awning will.

I have also experienced my Zip Dees opening while driving in windy conditions when we first bought the coach. The C clamps were broken so I tie-wrapped them until we could install new C clamps.

I don't know how Girards work but when they are in the closed position and I am driving in high winds they stay shut, period. The Girard when extended can not take as much wind as a manual Zip Dee but they will close themselves up when the wind exceeds 25 mph. That is a pretty nice feature IMO!

Another nice feature of the Girards is the remote control. It is small enough to carry in your pocket so whenever you want to open/close the awning you just hit the button.

In 5 years of use I have never had an issue with the motor on the Girard. If the motor were to fail there is an extension pole that facilitates closing the awning manually.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
05-31-2011, 05:43 PM
Just to add my 2 cents worth. A previous POG member had problems with his 08 Zip Dee Awnings. It was quite a job of taking the motors off, but he got them off ( block and tackle in his barn ) after raising the entire awning box. Paid for the new motor, recieved the wrong one from ZipDee, returned it ( paid for that freight too ) got it all back together. He is still waiting for the Warranty Check Reimbursement from ZipDee, 8 months later. Not a Happy Zip Dee Owner to say the least.

Gary S.

Mark3101
05-31-2011, 09:01 PM
It appears that there is a common theme here, namely that Zip Dee sucks as a company to do business with. If I ever have to replace these awnings, they won't be Zip Dee's that is for sure.

CAPT MOGUL & Sandy
05-31-2011, 09:05 PM
Never have cared for Zip Dee awnings on these beautiful expensive buses. They are JUNK!!! Just my opinion!!

Jon Wehrenberg
06-01-2011, 06:39 AM
There was a time when ZipDee was the standard by which all other awning manufacturers were measured. Every Prevost came with ZipDee awnings. Their chairs were found almost as standard equipment on conversions as well.

My guess is ZipDee would make a good business school topic on how to destroy a position of prominence in the marketplace.

Sid Tuls
06-01-2011, 10:39 PM
Well brought the bus to the shop to have the motors fixed in the Zip Dee's awning. It took them about an hour to remove the first awning and get the motor out. They tested it to make sure it was burn out. Then call Zip Dee to order 2 new 3rd generation motors should be here in 2 days. It did take 3 strong guys to lift the awning to the side to get the motor out. This forsure is a job for men with a strong back!! I just watched to make sure things went smoothly. It is a pain in the rear to replace these motors and at $675.00 each it is expensve. Will let you know how things work out. Oh the shop doing the work with Zip Dee said that they were very helpful and said they would help with any problems that come up.

Steve, thanks for your help after talking to your guys I felt more comfortable with my local service guy since it takes a couple of days to get the parts. I also gave me a benchmark as far price goes. Again thanks for your effort.

Jerry Winchester
06-01-2011, 11:01 PM
I have also make the trek to Zip Dee. Nice folks caught in a time warp. Office was circa 1974. I told them about my involuntary awning extension running down the road and how the same awning would twist up in the slightest breeze.

I left their place near Chicago and drove back to Houston then drove to Stillwater and back to OKC for POG 8 where whilst harassing the Krakman he notices a cordless drill on the top edge of my coach - just where the Zip Dee guy left it two months earlier.

It was still charged up and holds a place of distinction in my tool box.

Sid Tuls
06-01-2011, 11:08 PM
I remember seeing a picture of that. I remember someone saying how smooth the ride was of a prevost bus and that was the proof!! lol

Mark3101
06-02-2011, 09:04 AM
There was a time when ZipDee was the standard by which all other awning manufacturers were measured. Every Prevost came with ZipDee awnings. Their chairs were found almost as standard equipment on conversions as well.

My guess is ZipDee would make a good business school topic on how to destroy a position of prominence in the marketplace.

I have four of the chairs. So far they work fine...<g>!

rahangman
06-02-2011, 11:45 AM
I have 4 also, and to be fair, they are nice , sturdy and really get used quite a bit. Nice to have the color/design coordination and their storage is in 2nd compartment on the Psgr side, so convenient for the big awning

garyde
06-06-2011, 11:19 PM
Girard Awnings were the first to come out with the lateral awning. Innovative and progresive company. Zip Dee is coming to this late.
http://www.girardrvawnings.com/gallery.php

Sid Tuls
06-11-2011, 12:09 AM
Well got the awnings fixed wow what alot of work to replace 2 motors. I took some pictures but it was inside and wasn't real clear. But for those who want to know here is the breakdown. 2 motors at $656.00 each = $1,312.00 10.5 hours labor @ $95.00/per hour= $997.50 So the total bill to have your shades roll out $2,309.50
Zip Dee was very supportive when they had a few questons on adjusting the awnings. They just mention that they were on there 3rd generation motors. Also they mention that I was lucky to have gotton almost 4 yrs without any problems. I was very pleased with the work this shop did but I think they were glad to see me leave since I was there most of the time watching. It's a 3 man job taking the awnings off. The great thing they didn't put a mark on the Bus!!!!

phorner
06-11-2011, 10:35 AM
We have the Zip Dee Auto Awn patio awning which, as most of you know, is an air/electric operated patio awning. When this awning is working, it is terrific. We have had our share of issues with this awning but it is (as of this morning, at least) working flawlessly.

Zip Dee has been fantastic at providing customer service to me whenever I had a problem. Jimmy Hopkins is the go-to guy there and he has been great to work with.

That being said, parts are not necessarily cheap. However, I have yet to find much of anything that Liberty Coach installed on this bus as inexpensive. Prevost parts are not much better. I guess that's part of the reason these coaches cost a million dollars or more when they're new.

Whenever Jimmy could provide me with a rebuilt part at a substantial discount, or recommend a local replacement part, he didn't hesitate to do so. He has also gone out of his way to help us out at a rally to save me both time and money if he could.

Just my 2 cents regarding Zip Dee awnings.

Sid Tuls
06-11-2011, 10:39 AM
Well said Paul! That's how I feel and was trying to get across.

merle&louise
06-11-2011, 12:07 PM
Paul's point is well taken; if you want the best (or close to it) you have to pay for it.

Girard Awnings are not cheap either. As we have seen from other posts, the little anomometer that retracts the awning during high winds can run around $100!

I have heard (and I may be wrong on this) that installing a new Girard electric patio awning costs around $8500.

So the old saying goes, it only costs 100% more to go first class.

Jon Wehrenberg
06-11-2011, 01:24 PM
As nice as it would be to push a button and watch my shades go up or down or my awning to go in and out my brain converts stuff like that to cost per cycle. I apply the same thinking to slides, air bags, brake chambers, Norgren valves, etc.

Even if I were to do 100% of all repairs on things like awnings and slide rooms I feel intuitively that I don't want the cost associated with pressing that button. Beyond that I have a brain that is programmed to expect longer service from something higher priced so in addition to having something else to repair I would be pissed that something I paid a lot more money for over a simpler design created more problems than it solved. The trade off of comfort or convenience for the cost would not be worth it.

There are some things in which technology does create problems, but the payback is worth it. Our engines are an example. All the technology creates problems with sensor failures for example, but in that case the payback in fuel economy and a clean running engine is worth the small problems especially since to basic engine is so highly reliable. The problem is the manufacturers of comfort or convenience items such as awnings and shades are not designing "bullet proof" products when they should be. What good is a power awning if as Sid points out is lucky if it lasts 4 years? Whatever happened to lifetime warranties and reliability?

garyde
06-12-2011, 01:35 AM
If you attend FMCA Rally's or conventions Zip Dee is usually there to help with any awning problems including tune ups. There are many vendors at these Rallys to work on different components on RV's. Generators, Heaters, windshields, toeing bars, and so on.