PDA

View Full Version : Diesel dripping from generator

Seabyrd
05-16-2011, 08:28 PM
We have diesel dripping from our generator when its running.. a slow drip right now.. It appears to be coming from right below the front two injectors.

Does anyone know if there is a diagnostic port on these gensets?

It's a 17.5 KW Power Tech Genset..

Ideas anyone? Supposed to be leaving for Destin on Friday... UGH !!!

Thanks
Diane

jack14r
05-16-2011, 09:07 PM
Check the return fuel line,I had one crack and it also leaked.

Seabyrd
05-16-2011, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the idea... will do that first thing in the am.
Will post findings.

gmcbuffalo
05-16-2011, 11:52 PM
Larry on mine I have a small brass bypass valve in the fuel line that is supposed to be a few turns open, could the leak be coming from there?

Coloradobus
05-17-2011, 01:11 AM
Larry, we had fuel leaking around where the fuel lines screwed into the injector pump. If the leaking seems to come from the block the lines are screwed into, there are little "O"rings present. Unscrew the offending lines, remove the old "o" ring and after, take a quick trip to Carquest and for mere cents, get replacements. Install the new ones and start the genset and bleed what air has gotten in by loosening the lines where they screw in. thats what we did,

IN the photo below, you will see a brownish stain where the fuel lines plug into the injector block..The staining in from leaking fuel. If this is the offending location of your leaks, the above description is how we solved the leak.
Good luck

Seabyrd
05-17-2011, 01:44 AM
Thank you all so much... I will have all these suggestions checked out tomorrow !!

Again... Thanks,

Larry

Seabyrd
05-17-2011, 07:52 AM
Why did I get moved out of "What's New" in less than 12 hours???

Jon Wehrenberg
05-17-2011, 09:51 AM
Diane (or Larry) I think the way it works is if you have read the thread it is not new to your computer. But someone who hasn't yet opened the thread or the last posts in it will see it as "new".

When we go away without a computer for a week when I log on every post and thread I have not read shows up under new posts or what's new.

But if you just want to give Skiffer or Truk a hard time I'm behind you 100%.

Seabyrd
05-17-2011, 02:53 PM
Jon.. Funny !! Do you really think we'll keep them on their toes if we give them a hard time ??? Maybe worth a try !! LOL

I thought the threads stayed on here for as long as people kept replying to them.. hence keeping it active.. I just wanted mine to stay on there long enough to get plenty of input... but after a very short time this one was moved and of course the active time for it would have been when everyone was sleeping !! Not good for me !!

I did get 3 great replies and as it turned out this morning we found that there was indeed a leaking "O"ring as Jim suggested (even added great pics)... so the mechanic has ordered an "O"ring kit for it. He mentioned that the "O"ring was a different shape or something and should be ordered.. I hope he's right on that!?

Again thanks to all for your input here... I can't tell you how helpful it is.

Diane

truk4u
05-17-2011, 07:00 PM
Larry,

Don't listen to Jon, he's still trying to figure out what a Droid is!

If you go to the top of the "What's New" and you click on "Mark Forum Read" after you have read everything you wanted, when you come back, only new posts from the time you signed off will be displayed.

I sign on multiple times daily to help Jim keep Jon from double posting and each time I leave, I click on "Mark Forum Read" and when I come back online, only new posts show up. You can always go to the "Forum Page" and see everything that has been posted in each category and they don't get deleted.

If this doesn't help, get Diane to give you a hand!:p