PDA

View Full Version : Cup anemometer

ms911
05-09-2011, 04:35 PM
I have cup anemometers wind sensors on my Girard awnings. I need help finding just the cups. Girard tells me they are not available. I think the anemometers are made by C and E? It is a Marathon conversion.
Thanks.

merle&louise
05-09-2011, 05:35 PM
ms911,

I don't think you can purchase just the cups.

I changed the complete wind sensor about 2 years ago. I can't remember who I purchased it from (I think it was directly from Girard), but it cost about $75. When it arrived a few days later I changed it out and installed the new one - it works great. I had hit a tree limb while driving through a subdivision in New Orleans and broke the old one into several pieces.

Girard is a nice company to do business with. They make a great awning!

ms911
05-09-2011, 07:52 PM
Thanks. The cups just pop off but Girard wants $149 for the whole unit. I may just change to the blade style.

HarborBus
05-11-2011, 06:30 PM
I bought three of the of the cup type last year from Girard for around $100 each because at that time they said they had heard that Somfy was going to discontinue them. I replaced one at that time and now I have another that has one of the cups broken off so I'll only have one left. I'm wondering if the blade style would work with our older system?

kenrobertson
05-11-2011, 07:02 PM
I bought three of the of the cup type last year from Girard for around $100 each because at that time they said they had heard that Somfy was going to discontinue them. I replaced one at that time and now I have another that has one of the cups broken off so I'll only have one left. I'm wondering if the blade style would work with our older system?

Yes Elliott - The blade style is a direct replacement and it works much better - The blades are flexible and can take a lot more punishment than the cups.

HarborBus
05-11-2011, 10:36 PM
Thanks Ken that's good to know, I'd hate to have to convert the entire system to the new stuff, nice but expensive.

ms911
05-12-2011, 06:15 AM
Thanks for the info. I have three of the new blade style that the previous coach owner had bought. I will buy another and replace as necessary.
I did find this place that has the old style but why pay $73 for something that is so fragile.
http://www.floridaautomatedshade.com/PhotoGallery.asp?ProductCode=9050110"

BoaterAl
05-12-2011, 11:44 PM
On the way back from Calif. to KC on I-40 a now deceased bird totally misjudged a take-off hitting the roof cap then broke the wind sensor off the base. The 9050110 looks the same as the others on the coach.
Girard quoted $146 each for complete blade style. They advise drilling new base plate holes would be needed. Is Girard the source for the blade style ?

Jon Wehrenberg
05-13-2011, 05:47 AM
Apart from thinking there shouldn't be such fragile components which might be subject to damage, I wonder why it has to be a rotating wind sensor.

Wouldn't a device much like an upside down pendulum work? When no wind blows the device stands upright, but as the wind velocity increases the pendulum leans and when it reaches some angle relative to its base it sends a signal. A simple open or close circuit. The sensor which just sticks up into the air can be built so it can literally be knocked flat but will return to its intended position as soon as the force is removed.

I see the little cups spinning in the breeze and all I think of is everything from low branches to the high speed winds resulting from a 70 MPH speed into a headwind are going to damage it.

ms911
05-13-2011, 06:36 AM
Apart from thinking there shouldn't be such fragile components which might be subject to damage, I wonder why it has to be a rotating wind sensor.

Wouldn't a device much like an upside down pendulum work? When no wind blows the device stands upright, but as the wind velocity increases the pendulum leans and when it reaches some angle relative to its base it sends a signal. A simple open or close circuit. The sensor which just sticks up into the air can be built so it can literally be knocked flat but will return to its intended position as soon as the force is removed.

I see the little cups spinning in the breeze and all I think of is everything from low branches to the high speed winds resulting from a 70 MPH speed into a headwind are going to damage it.

There has to be a better yet we buy $140 pieces of plastic.

Jon Wehrenberg
05-13-2011, 07:00 AM
Those little wind cups are the kind you find on home weather stations and are intended to be on the roof of a house.

They were never designed to be at risk from low hanging trees, birds in flight, or high speed winds such as when driving. Other than protecting it with a 1/4" wire rod cage to prevent physical damage while allowing the flow of wind I can't imagine any other choice since it is likely there is some electronic way of measuring wind speed built into the circuitry rather than a simple open or closed circuit.

Don't get me going on converters building ever more complex and costly to maintain coaches. The list of things people can be expected to spend serious dollars on to maintain a coach keeps getting longer and longer and as the market value of coaches goes down due to the age of these coaches owners who buy these are just not going to spend the dollars necessary and there is going to be a lot of junk in the marketplace.

If our coach chassis is supposed to be this theoretical million mile coach, then the stuff that goes into making it into a motorhome should at least be made with the same focus on long durable service.

michaeldterry
05-13-2011, 07:04 AM
If our coach chassis is supposed to be this theoretical million mile coach, then the stuff that goes into making it into a motorhome should at least be made with the same focus on long durable service.

Yeah! What Jon said!

HarborBus
05-13-2011, 10:15 AM
Is there a consensus that the blade type anemometer is hardier that the cup type (they are both plastic)? If so has anyone found a source for them besides Girard?

ms911
05-13-2011, 10:35 AM
Is there a consensus that the blade type anemometer is hardier that the cup type (they are both plastic)? If so has anyone found a source for them besides Girard?

Not yet but I am looking.

flyu2there
05-16-2011, 08:59 AM
I repaired a unit using these ladies nylon cups, a titch bigger perhaps than you need but they are cheap and available plus you can use the nylons for a whole host of things...other than wearing them, but that's another story

"I found the ping-pong balls used as cups in some projects are too fragile and won't survive strong winds that we sometimes get here at the Great Lakes Shore. The Easter Egg hulls are more reliable, but I could find any in stores at this time (August). However, there are plenty of semi-sphere shaped items in any grocery store. That is what I have found in Walgreens - women's nylon socks packed in almost perfect for my needs plastic cups."

ms911
05-16-2011, 09:53 AM
Great idea. Thanks.

Sid Tuls
05-16-2011, 10:52 AM
Hey John, where ya been? Haven't heard or seen from you in a long time! Hope all is well!

JIM CHALOUPKA
05-16-2011, 06:11 PM
John, what Great Lakes shore?

Hey if your going the home remedy route, cut a tennis ball in half.

It will be flexible for those big bird hits and actually may survive. :rolleyes: :eek:

JIM:)

flyu2there
05-16-2011, 08:40 PM
#1...Use some plastic weld (2 part) a sheet of 400, and finish with plastic coat paint....nobody will ever be the wiser.....

#2...Sid, Alive and well....had to take over a business that I had loaned money to. Ain't retirement grand??? BTW anyone who needs an FAA Repair Station either for work or is interested in the buy...let me know!

#3...Jim, that where I found the idea. Still lurking on my confuser, thought it may be good for the boyz to know........................

truk4u
05-17-2011, 08:07 AM
John Boy,

When did you give up the Seneca for the Doctor Killer?

Welcome back....:p

Jerry Winchester
05-17-2011, 03:58 PM
I wanted to give him some crap about it, but you beat me to it. Cough up the details John.

flyu2there
05-18-2011, 08:44 AM
Jdub and Truk...

Details on what? The fix for the wind spoon using a peds case or the Bonanza. I'll guess the later.

The Seneca burned twice the gas, insurance was twice as much, had twice as many moving parts (all subject to failure), cruised at 2/3 the speed and someone wanted it.....the best part. The forked tailed doctor killer is quieter, better built and actually fun to fly as opposed to the Seneca which was a 48 ford pick up sans power steering with wings! I really enjoy the bonanza in rough air when I turn the yaw damper off....a great E Ticket that turns the passenger in the rear a very interesting shade of green......

truk4u
05-18-2011, 09:24 AM
The Doctor Killer of course, the only spoon I'm dealing with is at the table!:p

Jerry Winchester
05-18-2011, 03:21 PM
So you ditched the Seneca and bought a _______ model V35 the has ________ radios in it and you are up for some formation flying? How about a pic?

And how many folks actually know what an "E" ticket was?

flyu2there
05-18-2011, 06:16 PM
Its a 66 V-35 purchased from the Jet Center who used it as a test bed for the Super Soundproofing STC. Garmin 430 WAAS...a year of work, its perfect.8273

Jerry Winchester
05-18-2011, 06:21 PM
Was the baggage door done when you bought it? It was a little pricy for me to do before the paint, however, my wife was sure up for it.

Nice plane for sure.

flyu2there
05-18-2011, 07:03 PM
This one was delivered new with the big door.......I kinda like the ostrich upholstery that is installed, although it gives me Goose Bumps.......burp, my lack of education never hurt me none! BTW the IO550 makes a big difference...a Black Edition...kid used to work for me...small world. The 1/2 inch glass throughout helps as well......... I pretty much have the take off's down but landing, because of my history, well I still fight the urge to flare at 50', enroute...fun fun fun