PDA

View Full Version : POG Tarpon Fishing

GDeen
05-05-2011, 10:24 PM
So, back at POG IX, fueled by a few shots of pre-event agave nectar, I got my game face on at the charity auction. One of the items I bought was a day fishing trip organized by Ken Robertson with his favorite guide in the Tampa area.

Following unforseen twists and turns during planning and scheduling, the deal turned into a Tarpon fishing trip at Boca Grande with Ken's favorite guide, my dad and me, and another guide, and my Dad's buddy and his son-in-law. No need in further detail on all that...

We had an awesome trip! Although it is early in the Tarpon season and the fishing could be sketchy, we got into them hot and heavy early in the morning, and had some bonus action that was unbelievable.

My Dad brought one in the guide estimated at 175 lbs ("tournament winning size fish"). My Dad's buddy also fought a large one in the other boat for quite a while before it broke off. Finally Ken fought a monster for well over an hour before it broke the hook without us ever getting a look at it!

Dad is hooked up and working hard...

Fish surfaces...

After 45 minutes and the fight nearing an end, Captain Dave suddenly yells "the sharks are after him....."

Get him to the boat, release him quickly and Uh Oh.....

Gruesome......

The attack is over in 30 seconds. Big Shark takes the last part of the ill fated Tarpon down and drenches us in the process...

Back to fishing, and within minutes Ken gets hooked up for 1 hr 15 minutes. Never saw the fish - stayed way deep and towed us a long long way...

All he had to show for it...

What a great day. Ken did an awesome job setting the deal up and we all enjoyed hangin with him the evening before and on the boat. Thanks again Ken. Made for a special trip for me and my ole Pops.

Hope we can work out a POG event around Tarpon Fishing next year. I have caught some big fish, but the Tarpon deal takes the cake. Really exciting!

garyde
05-05-2011, 10:43 PM
Looks like a very good day.

Sid Tuls
05-06-2011, 12:37 AM
This just goes to show the benefits when you to charities ! You think your giving away something but in return you receive the Blessings!!!!

truk4u
05-06-2011, 07:54 AM
Great pictures Gordo, nothing like fighting a big Tarpon for a couple hours.

By the way, that's Ken MO and the next thing you know, your signing papers for a new to you bus!:p

kenrobertson
05-11-2011, 07:28 PM
Gordon - I think I caught Tarpon Fever - Going back in two weeks with a couple of prospects, OOPS, I mean fishing buddies. Capt Dave said to say HI, and he wanted to know if your dad was available during tournament season. NO, he didn't mention you or me. I guess he must have been pretty impressed with the way your dad handled that " Sunday Tarpon". I know I was!!!! More pictures to follow.....I hope.

Tom - As you know, there aren't many things I enjoy more than finding a new home for a nice coach, with nice people, BUT, tarpon fishing ........now that will take your mind off of everything else for the whole darn day!

Last, but not least, Thanks again to Gordon and all the other POG members who have given so generously at all the POG charity auctions. It's very rewarding to be part of such an incredible group.

GDeen
05-12-2011, 07:16 PM
Ken,

No doubt, hooking up with those big boys is infectious. I would love to go back, and will in the future.

One thing that shouldn't be lost is that you and others contributed the items to the auction that were bid upon....in this case, a very expensive fishing trip that came out of your pocket. Takes two to do this tango, and thanks for your part as well.