PDA

View Full Version : Ciao from a new Guy

Helmets
05-03-2011, 01:39 PM
Hello All,

I have really enjoyed reading all the post here. The information is really wonderful.

Looking for a XLV. Is there anything that I should be aware of?

Ciao,
Harry:)

Jon Wehrenberg
05-03-2011, 02:01 PM
When buying a coach there is a whole lot you need to be aware of. But I don't think any vintage Prevost can be singled out as having an issue that would keep you from considering it. You just need to be aware of your budget which pretty much dictates what conversions and model years will be within that financial range, and of those the various features will be what you have to decide are important to you and what the plusses and minuses are for the choices you make.

Helmets
05-03-2011, 04:40 PM
Thanks for the response Jon,
With the searching I have done it looks like to me the best converters are Liberty or Marathon. Because I do shows all over the country can I expect to get (with good maintance) long term use and lots of miles out of a prevost Bus?

Ciao Harry

Jerry Winchester
05-03-2011, 05:00 PM
For sure go with the XLV and not the XL. That extra 5 feet has really helped locate my wife in some area of the bus where I wasn't. Big win. Can't loose with a Liberty or Marathon either. Marathon has service centers located in most useful areas which are usually full of Liberty coaches being serviced, so take that subtle hint for whatever it's worth.

If you search and read all the "looking for a coach" threads on this forum, you'll know more than you ever wanted to about every option or decision you need to consider. But it's all good advice gained from years of experience and millions of dollars of mistakes. Learn from them then buy a great coach we can all enjoy.

Jon Wehrenberg
05-03-2011, 05:01 PM
The mantra is that we are dirving million mile buses.

In commercial use or as an entertainer coach where lots of miles are logged annually I suspect that is not an exageration. Motorhome owners who do not rack up a lot of miles are doing age related repairs because such things as air bags are probably going to start getting leaks from cracking at ten years of age or 100,000 miles compared to commercial vehicles which have put 600,000 to 1,000,000 miles in the same period.

If you read the posts you will see our component failures in a lot of instances are age related such as the Norgren valves in the suspension, bushings in the suspension, etc. If you do read the posts you will also find some component failures on the conversion side of things, but in all actuality these Prevost chassis and their conversions are really very reliable and do go many years without trouble.

I agree with your comment about converters, but which one you pick, and that includes all the other conversions is going to end up being a choice driven by your needs and preferences for systems, decor, and availability. For example if you need over the road air you are likely going to end up with a Liberty, but if you absolutely need every cubic foot of bay space you may end up with a conversion with roof airs.

Helmets
05-03-2011, 07:10 PM
Thanks for your thoughts guys. How important is the over the road air? If a bus had 4 Cruise Airs and drivers air would this give you enough cooling on the road?
I know this is a hard question to answer but I have a renagade with roof top airs and they can be a problem from time to time. Easy to get new ones because almost every trailer dealer has them but I'd like to have a durable system.

Jerry Winchester
05-03-2011, 07:46 PM
This will stir the pot. I've had two busses with OTR AC and liked them both. They both had Cruisair units. Great set up for sure. Except when the OTR craps out because if the outside air temp is high, the Criusairs pick up condenser air off the road and in short order they go to Hi PSI and shut down. Most Liberty XLV coaches will have OTR air and Cruisair. Some Marathons will be equipped the same way, but not as many.

Cruisair issue is finding folks to work on them. After I learned the tricks, I could usually find someone. Most any yardbird can work on a roof air and the parts are easy to buy or just buy a new one. Not many folks carry new Cruisair condenser or evaporator units.

I have a dash AC with four roof ACs, two of which will run off of an inverter, so moderate heat works there. High heat is going to get the generator turned on, which is not as onurus as it sounds. About the same HP required for either set up. I'll tell you in August when I'm in Phoenix how well it works.

Alek&Lucia
05-03-2011, 07:47 PM
Welcome to POG !

If you like to see Prevost H3-45 Royale conversion, we are only 2 hr SW of Chicago.
Where do you live ?

Alek

garyde
05-03-2011, 10:27 PM
Whatever you choose, Tires, belts,batteries, air bags need to be looked at hard. Engine, transmission, air system, electrical system. Then the convertor systems; Tanks, heating/cooling, pumps, invertors, etc.
Mileage usually is not an issue just the maintenance records and a thorough inspection.
These buses are better if they are used alot, most of them sit longer than being driven.

Helmets
05-04-2011, 05:01 PM
Thanks Alek and Lucia,

I'm in Aurora IL so i'm sure your not far and i'd love to take a look at your Prevost some time. I need all the help I can get in this new adventure.

Ciao,
Harry

phorner
05-04-2011, 06:09 PM
Check your notifications. I sent you a PM ....

Oh, and welcome to the asylum ....

Jon Wehrenberg
05-04-2011, 07:07 PM
Harry,

Your question about OTR and Cruise Airs (and by extension roof airs) is one that has been discussed and debated here often.

You will find equally strong arguments for each system in previous threads and the bottom line is going to be based on a number of factors including how you use the coach, what converters you prefer, and where you will use the coach. You may have a burning desire for roof airs and OTR, but the number of coaches equipped like that will likely be as rare as JDUB passing a taco stand.

You may find yourself wanting a Liberty, in which case getting one without OTR will be unlikely. Whatever your choice however you need to look past deciding on one system or another and consider the ramifications of your choice. For example, a coach without OTR, but Cruise Airs may be difficult to cool when driving on a hot highway radiating heat into the basement mounted condensing units. On the other hand you might have a hard time cooling a heat soaked 45 foot coach with only three roof air units, which total about 45,000 BTU, compared to cooling the same coach with 4 or with OTR which is about 82,000 BTU. Obviously where and how you use the coach is going to be an influence on your decision.