PDA

View Full Version : Zip Dee Awnings

Sid Tuls
05-01-2011, 10:20 PM
I have two motors out on my awnings. One the front Passenger and the other back drivers side. I had a guy come out to check it out and he told me that it is a real big job. I'm still in Indio and was wondering if any of you had to replace awning motors? Closest zip dee dealer is only about 200 miles but if thats what it takes oh well. Any help would be appreciated.

jack14r
05-02-2011, 05:54 AM
I had one replaced about 2 years ago.the awning must be removed from the coach,I understand that zip-dee is on the third generation motor.I would make sure that the dealer has motors in stock because zip-dee is not real responsive in shipping on the day that they get the order.

Bill Price
05-02-2011, 06:16 AM
I pulled my arm and sent it via UPS and had the entire are rebuilt. Zip-Dee was quick plus they changed out the wires and seals.

You might want to check the wires at the bottom and at the top with a volt meter to be sure you dont just have a bad connection

Mine turned out to be a single broken wire at the bottom. Troy with Liberty showed me how to svc the arms with air tool oil. That was worth my trip to POG in Kerrville alone.

Bill Price
05-02-2011, 06:20 AM
That should have read had the entire arm rebuilt.

"Too early need more coffee"

garyde
05-03-2011, 12:35 AM
Hi Sid. The Zip Dee guys in LA area, are they the gulf stream folks? I had them install my new awning. However, they were not familiar with motorized units so much as the manual Zip Dees.

Sid Tuls
05-03-2011, 02:21 AM
Hey Gary, I contacted Zip Dee and they gave me a few of their dealers in So.Ca area. The one is in Bellflower. C&J trailer service and the other one is in Murrietta,Ca Temecula Valley RV. I'm going to call aand see if they do the motorized or a friend of mine said that Marathon in Beamont,Ca can do it but said the are very high in repairs. They say that they don't last that long. Oh well have something to worry about tomorrow !

Jack, that's what Rick Thompson also said. Just wondering if the other brand had the same problem with the motors.

Bill yes we checked that and we do have voltage at the motor. Just strange that two go out within a week of each other .

Bill Price
05-03-2011, 06:57 AM
One more thing to check and this is a long shot.
On my Liberty there were two small batteries located in the bin where the ZipDee Controls were. Have you checked those batteries? I cant remember what voltage they are but they can be purchased at about any Radio Shack.

jack14r
05-03-2011, 12:23 PM
The new style ZipDee does not have the battery or compressor used to extend or retract the awnings,this new style uses 115 volt AC motor.The motor is about 2.5 inch diameter and 15-20 inches long(from memory).

Seabyrd
05-03-2011, 04:38 PM
When our electric awning wouldn't go out... (our motor had power to it also)... after much searching there was a breaker turned off that actually operates it... when I turned on the breaker..(it was a shared breaker for the power outlets in the storage bay) the awning worked just fine... we always used the remote to operate it.. I still can't figure how the motor had power... must have had a switch on a different one.. all I know is that it only works when that breaker is on.. no harm in trying !!
Diane

I have two motors out on my awnings. One the front Passenger and the other back drivers side. I had a guy come out to check it out and he told me that it is a real big job. I'm still in Indio and was wondering if any of you had to replace awning motors? Closest zip dee dealer is only about 200 miles but if thats what it takes oh well. Any help would be appreciated.