PDA

View Full Version : lot rot

george frudakis
04-27-2011, 11:39 AM
if a coach has been sitting for 18 months, given that the tire, belts, fluids, all fliter are being change. Big BUT They will look at the air bages and values any concern, but may not change them any issues? I have asked for the engine and tran code can anyone read and understand them HELP!

Jon Wehrenberg
04-27-2011, 02:05 PM
It must be a hell of a deal for you to assume the risk you would be taking.

I don't think there is a code for engine cylinder rust. Air bags that are dry rotted from not being exercised may hold air today, but what's to prevent one from popping the first time you start exercising the coach. The Norgren valves at the very least have not moved so you can almost be certain where the O rings were sitting there is some corrosion and worse, the O rings are likely dried out a little. If the bus has OTR you can plan on a compressor seal being needed. Before I rolled a foot in that coach I would want to know the fluid in the hubs is at the correct level and I'm not so sure the hub seals would have much of a life left in them.

I haven't even begun to address the house portion and my concerns would be the condition of the cabinetry, expecially the laminate if it has just been baking in the sun. The vitricor or Formica or whatever is on the surface tends to delaminate in high heat conditions.

The biggest question is why has it sat for 18 months? What is wrong with it?

I would not be afraid to take it in a New York minute if the price is right and the interior hasn't been heat or cold damaged (frozen pipes are fun to fix) because air bags, shocks hub seals, Norgrens, etc are not that big a deal to replace especially if the price is cheap. But there ain't no way you can really assess the engine condition or the damage that may have already occurred due to inactivity. Allow for a huge expenditure for repairs if they might need to be made and good luck. Engine: $18,000 to $20,000. Transmission $12,000. Generator: ??????? Hidden issues in the house and chassis:???????????

Mark3101
04-27-2011, 02:13 PM
How old is the coach to begin with? If it is an older model, and has been sitting for that long, I would think lots of things may need replacing....

george frudakis
04-27-2011, 04:37 PM
Mark--- 2001 liberty with 98k miles Just received word from the dealer, they asked DD for any repaires tickets and they have non, I was told that the engine is in good shape per the salemen. John ---thanks I never thought of the seal or rust in the engine form sitting. I wanted to takes it to DD so they can get the codes on the engine and trans not to see if any repaire ticket was every issused. It sat for 18 month, per the sell man, they priced it to hight and they lower it to 399. Its been sitting here in the hot florida sun. I realy like it but I am finding some issue with this coach. I told them that its 10 years old and the air bages and valve have to be changed and they told me thay will go over averything and the coach will leave here is A1 shape. But if the air bage and vlve are ok they will not change them. I do not want to be on the side of the road and my wife asking me what did i do.