PDA

View Full Version : Pocket door won't close ???

Seabyrd
04-25-2011, 10:03 PM
Our Vantare pocket door has quit closing for some reason... sure hope someone has some insight for me here.

There are 2 push button switches to operate it... one in the bathroom and one in the electrical control panel... neither switch will turn red (like it used to) when pressed. The door doesn't budge at all.

I can manually pull the door closed and it will fly open if I use the "bypass or emergency open switch" located in the nearby closet... however neither regular switch will open or close the door like it used to.

I "think" I can hear a slight click coming from the closet where the emergency open toggle switch is when I press the switch to close it but I'm not sure.. but neither of the switches light up like they should.

I have checked the fuse in the fuse panel and it's good. I thought there may be a relay or something hidden somewhere?

Does anyone have any idea what the cause may be ???? I'm not sure where to go from here?

Thanks in advance...
Diane

LNDYCHT
04-26-2011, 06:46 AM
By your description it sounds to me that you either have no air pressure to the valve or you have a failed air valve. The clicking noise would indicate that the relay and or the air valve are receiving power.

Just a guess as I have no "Vantare" experience

Seabyrd
04-26-2011, 09:33 AM
Yes you may be right... wonder where all of that is located? The air valve to close the door in emergency is in the wall behind the toggle switch and that's where I think I hear a click but I don't see another valve there... guess I need to get more serious about looking !!!
Thanks for your input.
Diane

Charles Spera
04-26-2011, 10:06 AM
Our pocket door valves are located under the sink in the bathroom and in a small cabinet in the forward corner of the bedroom. Limited experience and only with a Liberty.
HTH

rmboies
04-26-2011, 10:35 AM
Diane,
According to husband Bob, he believes the Vantare pocket doors are all electric, not air pressure related. He suggests looking at the panel in the second bay, driver's side, to make sure all the red lights are on. If not, look for the one that is off. We have had several Vantares though each one can be a little different so not certain this will be helpful, hope so.

Bob via Debi

Jon Wehrenberg
04-26-2011, 10:40 AM
Larry/Diane like Chuck my Liberty experience will be of no help to you, but all converters tend to share similar logic and devices.

Your pocket doors are very likely to use the same control valves as the pocket doors. Since a flashlight and some effort is all that is required to find the valves used on the floor slide seeing them may assist you in recognizing the valves that make the pocket door work.

Since a lot of the controls in our coaches are duplicated, such as I have two air operated pocket doors, I am not afraid to take stuff off the door that is working and put it on the one that does not work to see through the process of elimination what part malfuncts. (A technical term)

The easy way to fix stuff however is to drive the bus to technicians that actually know what they are doing rather than taking advice from us amateur wrench turners. Unless you like a challenge.

Seabyrd
04-26-2011, 11:48 AM
Thanks everyone for your input... the door is working now... not sure why however ??!!

I had manually pulled the door out about 3" so I could slide it closed if I wanted to.. I then proceeded to remove the wall panel in the closet where the air operated emergency open toggle switch is and accidently bumped the toggle switch and the door slammed open so hard I couldn't believe it... sounded like a shot gun going off..
I guess the amount of "air" accumulated was for opening a fully closed door not one just 3" out... anyway I then hit the regular switch & to my delight it closed and opened normally at least a dozen times... So whether its fixed for good I don't know... well is anything EVER fixed for good??
It seems the hard bang to the open position reconnected something or reset something...that remains to be seen.

Jon what do you think might have happened there??

Also I do love a challenge Jon and believe me I've had a few over the years !!

I just repaired my fiber optic lighting after being informed by Featherlight that I would have to replace the entire unit because you could no longer get parts, bulbs, etc...It was a Powervision 2000 unit & they are out of business... I took it apart to find that the light bulb was shattered and it had a part # stamped on the base which I googled and $41.20 later was up and running like new... NEVER say NEVER huh?

Again thank you all so much for your input here.

Diane

Jon Wehrenberg
04-26-2011, 12:21 PM
First of all, I should read what I wrote. I tried to say the pocket doors and floor slide likely use the same valves and electric controls.

As to what happened, it is possible you have a loose electrical connection and jarring the toggle switch may have temporarily resolve the issue.

One of the most difficult things to diagnose and repair are those things that work intermittently and you appear to have that kind of an issue. Since jarring the toggle switch restored the operation to normal, if I were to trouble shoot that electrical circuit and all its connections would be where I would start. But I don't know anything about the Vantare conversion so don't believe anything I say.