PDA

View Full Version : No lights to toad

Ledo
04-24-2011, 09:55 AM
Getting ready for any big trip is a handful we all know well. This year combined with buying and making a few repairs and additions to the new bus and finishing tax season, I thought I was ready. I bought a chevy avalanche and had it wired with separate bulbs into the lights. I recently had the bus out for a weekend shooting event and pulled my Polaris along on it's trailer which takes a 4 way flat plug. Bought the converter plug from 7/4 and worked great so I knew the bus plug was good. Never had time to test the truck hooked up until the day to pullout. I have also bought a new power cord to run from the bus to the truck with the 7/4 round build in. Hooked up last evening @ 6:30 and only had running lights, no turn or brakes. All interstate so pulled out now no lights at all. Bus lights good I have a volt meter with very basic knowledge of how to use one. Headed west on I 10 today coming out of Florida in route to San Antonio. I have no idea where to start looking and of course it's Easter Sunday. Help if you have time.

Ledo
04-24-2011, 09:56 AM
727-808-7406

Jerry Winchester
04-24-2011, 10:52 AM
Doug,

I wish I were well enough to have you stop in Houston to fix the lights, but my experience with the Marathon light set up is that the problem is almost always the plug wiring; two tires touching, one loose or connected to the wrong place. And while a simple test light will almost always find the problem, the Power Probe is my new favorite tool for this job since it will energize the wire when you need to ensure you don't have a "long" in one of the wires as opposed to a short.

Good luck sorting it out.

JIM CHALOUPKA
04-24-2011, 01:21 PM
Wondering, do two longs ever make a short? :rolleyes:
Just sayin.

JIM :confused:

Ledo
04-24-2011, 06:47 PM
Your right JW, it is in the plug somehow. After scraping, bending, pushing, pulling I made it out the door and to the back of the bus where after a few minutes of adjustments to the prongs I got both turn and brake lights back. I'll replace it in SA. Thanks.