PDA

View Full Version : Alternator Failure - 97 Liberty

flloyd
04-22-2011, 12:48 PM
It began with the satellite receiver unexpectedly rebooting. My first thought was that the power plug was loose and/or the receiver was bad. We were driving home from Tucson last night and I noticed on my digital voltage monitor that the house voltage had suddenly spiked to 16.8 volts. The refrigerator light went out, then back on. Things were starting to go haywire.

I pulled over at a rest stop and was immediately concerned that the voltage regulator on the house 12V alternator had failed. The spike in voltage was causing the inverters to trip off for safety. The condition was a bit intermittent, but it did finally last long enough for me to be concerned that this could be serious.

Rather than continue to risk over-voltage, I opted to disconnect the battery lead from the alternator. Once disconnected, the system returned to about normal and we were able to complete the 90 minute drive without problems. The house batteries were at 12.4 volts upon our arrival and when I plugged the coach back in, the bus voltage returned to the customary 13.6 V, inverter charge level.

So, I guess I need a new alternator. I was a bit curious that in this particular installation is that aside from the ground lug, there is only one wire connected to the alternator. The main output terminal is hooked up but neither of the two smaller terminals (BAT and ?) are connected. I'm assuming that this device has an integral regulator, right?

If anyone has any comments about this wiring, and if someone could tell me what the base amp rating of this device might be, I'll go about finding a suitable replacement.

Thanks,

-fred

Jerry Winchester
04-22-2011, 04:45 PM
Is it this one?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-2214jruuYT4/TbHoXvWtsiI/AAAAAAAABHw/Q-fptDdlreA/s1600/photo-789498.JPG

LNDYCHT
04-22-2011, 04:49 PM
Fred,
Your alternator has an internal regulator, which sounds like was on its way out. The alternator senses voltage on the output. The output of the alternator will either be stamped on the housing near the mounting boss or will be on a riveted on plate.
Any good electrical rebuilder should be able to repair it.

flloyd
04-22-2011, 10:34 PM
Thanks to all. Mine turned out to be a Delco 7685, 12V / 145 Amps

My unit had no markings, serial number, model number, nothing. The alternator guys
recognized it as an "industrial" type.

A local rebuilder had a fresh refurb on the shelf for $131 + tax. Not bad.

All is well.

-fred

phorner
04-22-2011, 10:53 PM
That's a good deal. My re-build was just over $200..... and a new replacement is about $400.

Glad it was relatively painless....