PDA

View Full Version : Inverter Problem Maybe ??

Seabyrd
04-13-2011, 06:29 PM
Does anyone have any ideas what our problem may be? With all our breakers turned off we are pulling aprox 20 amps on Leg 2 of our Inverter regardless of incoming power source. Leg 1 goes down to zero. I have tried turning things on and off one at a time to no avail.

We are currently at a rally in LA and hooked up to 2 30 amp legs of power via a cheater box and can't run any acs on leg 2 as the amperage goes to 35 amps right away.
I have set the Inverters down to 30 amps each.

It even pulls the same amps with the generator on... or when hooked up to 50 amps.... so I know that the cheater box isn't the problem.

Any ideas would be appreciated..

Does anyone have a clue where the 20 amps with every breaker turned off might be coming from??

Mark3101
04-13-2011, 06:56 PM
Does anyone have any ideas what our problem may be? With all our breakers turned off we are pulling aprox 20 amps on Leg 2 of our Inverter regardless of incoming power source. Leg 1 goes down to zero. I have tried turning things on and off one at a time to no avail.

We are currently at a rally in LA and hooked up to 2 30 amp legs of power via a cheater box and can't run any acs on leg 2 as the amperage goes to 35 amps right away.
I have set the Inverters down to 30 amps each.

It even pulls the same amps with the generator on... or when hooked up to 50 amps.... so I know that the cheater box isn't the problem.

Any ideas would be appreciated..

Does anyone have a clue where the 20 amps with every breaker turned off might be coming from??

Are you inverters set to charge your batteries? If so, that could be the draw. Check the settings for your inverters to see what they are set to for charging if they do it.

Seabyrd
04-13-2011, 07:26 PM
Mark.. The Inverters are both set to the ON position. Don't know if this is correct or not. How should they be set?
Thanks.Diane

Are you inverters set to charge your batteries? If so, that could be the draw. Check the settings for your inverters to see what they are set to for charging if they do it.

LNDYCHT
04-13-2011, 07:43 PM
Larry & Diane,
What type of inverters and control panels do you have? It will help with a diagnoses.

Seabyrd
04-13-2011, 07:53 PM
Lee...
We have 2 - 4000 watt Xantrex SW 4024 Inverteres. Control panels are Trace Engineering.... Thanks so much for your time !! It's warm down here !!

Larry,
What type of inverters and control panels do you have? It will help wit a diagnoses.

LNDYCHT
04-13-2011, 08:06 PM
Your inverters have a power share option in which you can adjust the incoming breaker amperage. Turn the incoming breaker amperage down, this will reduce the amount of power used to replenish (charge) the batteries and will free up power to run other accessories. If you can not find this setting try to find your required documents here http://www.xantrex.com/power-products-support/document-downloads/document-type/owners-guide.aspx

If not call me at 705 549 1675 and I will try to help over the phone
Lee

Mark3101
04-13-2011, 09:01 PM
Your inverters have a power share option in which you can adjust the incoming breaker amperage. Turn the incoming breaker amperage down, this will reduce the amount of power used to replenish (charge) the batteries and will free up power to run other accessories. If you can not find this setting try to find your required documents here http://www.xantrex.com/power-products-support/document-downloads/document-type/owners-guide.aspx

If not call me at 705 549 1675 and I will try to help over the phone
Lee

I am not sure that just turning down the incoming amp setting will automatically decrease the charger settings. It may depend on firmware, but I am pretty sure on mine, it is a separate setting that has to be changed regardless of incoming ac settings. I suspect that from what they posted, they may have one inverter set to charge if only one is drawing any load. I have not seen how Vantare has their electrical system setup, so I could be wrong.

nrhareiner
04-13-2011, 09:36 PM
Good evening,

I have the same inverters. In the secondary menu there is a way to set the amount of amperage your charger will draw. When plugged into 30 amps I set this to 5 amps. The secondary menu is accessed by going to menu 9 then hitting red and green button at same time. This gets you into the secondary menu. Either section 10 or 11 is correct. Scroll down through until see charging amps.

Hope this helps

Seabyrd
04-13-2011, 10:03 PM
Thank-you All...
Especially Lee who walked me thru the process on the phone...I couldn't find the menu to access the Inverter Setup !! You are all correct... my battery charger was set to 15 amps and when I changed it down to 5 amps the amperage dropped down to 8 amps allowing the A/C to be used... It's freezing in here already !!
Thank you all so very much !!
Diane