PDA

View Full Version : Skeet Shooting With Frank Malek

GDeen
04-11-2011, 03:19 PM
At POG IX, I bought a "skeet lesson with Frank Malek" at the auction. Jennifer and I drove the coach down to Frank and Sue's ranch in Live Oak Co. this past weekend to cash in the lesson.

It turned into much more than that and we had a blast. Frank and Sue are just great folks, and we enjoyed a full weekend of shooting (clay targets and the bull), seeing the ranch, grilling out, sitting on the porch at night and bus talk.

By the way, their ranch is 17 miles across as the crow flies, so we this is a real working ranch with thousands of head of cattle. We saw most of it over 2 days and enjoyed every minute. Frank and Sue have built quite an impressive operation there over the years.

Below are a couple of pics of Frank with his star pupil, Jennifer. I was also a pupil, but no gold stars here. Jennifer had held a shotgun only one other time in anger in her life, so she was a true newbie. Frank had her breaking 10-15 targets per round before we were finished in a gusty 25 mph south wind. Pretty good stuff.

Frank and Sue couldn't have been more accomodating hosts, and we are grateful for their time and friendship.

kenrobertson
04-11-2011, 05:55 PM
Gordon - If you can fish as good as Jennifer shoots, it will have been a great auction for both you and POG - I know how much the members appreciate the sponsors participation, but I want you to know that the sponsors truly appreciate the way the members have stepped up to the plate at the auctions. It is just one of the many things that makes this group special.

See you in May for the " First Annual POG Tarpon Tamers Tournament "

Drive Safe, Ken

charlesebrownjr
04-11-2011, 07:01 PM
Ken, tell me about the " First Annual POG Tarpon Tamers Tournament " When, where and who can fish.

truk4u
04-11-2011, 08:04 PM
Hope Frank doesn't shoot his toe off!:p

Jerry Winchester
04-11-2011, 11:01 PM
No photos of Lawn Jockey Boy shooting? Did you tell Frank we needed a pro instructor for POG X?

kenrobertson
04-12-2011, 09:25 AM
Mornin' Charles - I answered your PM earlier, but thought I'd better clarify my post. Gordon won the fishing trip at the Kerrville auction and has elected to take his dad tarpon fishing. We are going to Boca Grande, with a guide, in May. It's not a tournament yet, but, while there, I am going to research the possibility of maybe having a spring mini rally/tarpon tournament for the POG fishermen/fisherwomen ( fisherpeople ? )

I'll keep you posted,

Ken

GDeen
04-12-2011, 10:40 AM
JDUB - no pics of me flailing around with my Benelli SBE which would not cycle the light target loads. Unfortunately, the Worlds Skeet Shoot is in San Antonio over the same timeframe as POG X. So not only will Frank not be available to instruct, he and Sue were very disappointed to miss out on the rally itself. "Instructor Winchester to station 1 with your first group."

Ken - I am getting my Tarpon fight on and ready to go. I think that is a great idea for a future POG fishing trip.

Buddy - just whip out that checkbook at the next charity auction and you too can be tooling around the country enjoying POG expertise and local contacts.

Just a follow up comment to Ken's note about the charity event. The Malek's have been involved with a number of bus related groups over the years and have enjoyed them all. They really enjoyed POG IX and the people. One thing Sue mentioned several times was that they were very impressed with the charity event. It would seem that is an event that really defined the week for them. So, Skiff and the other POG originators who have put that together should be proud...

charlesebrownjr
04-12-2011, 08:25 PM
Will do Gordon. Hope ya'll catch some big ones and enjoy.