PDA

View Full Version : Generator Compartment

Woodscrapper
03-31-2011, 10:36 AM
The soundproofing/fireproofing material in my generator bay, especially on the bay door, is deteriorating very badly leaving a mess that is difficult to clean up. My plans are to remove and replace all material on the walls, ceiling, and bay door which means pulling the generator completely out. I am sure other POG members have done this and I would like to learn from your experiences. Accordingly, I would appreciate any tips and/or help in the following areas:

!. Disconnecting the generator.
2. Pulling the generator out of the bay.
3. Prepping the bay for new material installation.
4. What soundproofing/fireproofing material to use. I have located a couple of sources
that have materials that look promising but they are expensive.

http://www.megasorber.com/soundproofing-products/acoustic-composite-
with-fireproof-acoustic-facing.html
https://www.whidbey.com/sonex/SONEXone%20Pricing.htm

Anyone have experience with either of these?

Thanks for any and all help.

Tom Roberts

jack14r
03-31-2011, 11:01 AM
I have taken my gen out a couple of times,an oil leak and a exhaust leak,I did not have to disconnect anything because Liberty made provisions for the wires,fuel lines and coolant hoses to un curl as the gen comes out.I do have a forklift in my shop which makes it easy.

Jon Wehrenberg
03-31-2011, 11:15 AM
I have never removed my generator but in looking at its installation it is obvious a pallet jack, fork truck or some other lifting device is going to be required. Once that part of the equation has been resolved then there are a lot of things that need to be addressed such as removal of electric cables, the exhaust system, the coolant lines, and the fuel supply. It is probable the coolant has to be drained, the fuel lines disconnected above the fuel level in the tank and the lines plugged, and plans should be made to replace the flexible exhaust pipe.

This is not a very complex project as far as making and breaking connections or the physical part of handling a heavy generator, but it has its pitfalls. The first consideration is a suitable sound deadening material that is fire resistant. Then the material has to actually deaden sound and while that seems simple a look at the existing sound deadening material should show it is not just a foam material, but a laminate of various materials. The replacement material needs to be the equivalent.

This also becomes the perfect opportunity to look at everything in the generator area such as the fans, hoses, etc. They have been sitting in there subject to heat and vibration for almost 2 decades and while the genset is out anything that shows its age needs to be replaced. It will never be cheaper or easier.

Personally, because of the weight involved and the need for grunt work to get the genset out, and the risk of it tipping or getting it damaged I would drive up to Russell Coach and avail myself of the fact he has the lifting equipment and has the manpower already skilled in installing and removing generators. When I run the risk versus reward equation it tips in favor of opting for professional help. In the long run that may actually turn out to be the least expensive approach.

Woodscrapper
03-31-2011, 11:48 AM
jack14r

Thanks for your response. Our coach is also a Liberty, but a 1994 model, and I am hopeful that my generator has sufficient slack. I plan to rig a motorcycle lift to pull and support the unit.

JIM CHALOUPKA
03-31-2011, 11:49 AM
Tom, you may find this thread important?

http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/showthread.php?1211-Generator-and-Gen.-Bay-Rebuild&highlight=generator+bay+rebuild

JIM:)

Woodscrapper
03-31-2011, 12:10 PM
Jon,

Your help is well taken and, as usual, you offer sound advise. All I am trying to do at this point is to gather as much information and help as I can so that I have a good feel for what is involved. Then assess my abilities and provisions to do the job right. I would not rule out the possibility (probability) of my going to Russell Coach. I seem to have an innate desire to learn and do for myself. That way I know what I got. This innateness gets me into trouble sometimes - maybe more than I am willing to own up to.

Tom

Woodscrapper
03-31-2011, 12:12 PM
Jim,

Thanks. I'll check it out.

Tom

michaeldterry
03-31-2011, 12:48 PM
Jon,

Your help is well taken and, as usual, you offer sound advise. All I am trying to do at this point is to gather as much information and help as I can so that I have a good feel for what is involved. Then assess my abilities and provisions to do the job right. I would not rule out the possibility (probability) of my going to Russell Coach. I seem to have an innate desire to learn and do for myself. That way I know what I got. This innateness gets me into trouble sometimes - maybe more than I am willing to own up to.

Tom

If you talk to Rob Russell, you will probably find him open to allowing you to participate in the job to satisfy your desire to learn and do!