PDA

View Full Version : Leaking oil pan

gmcbuffalo
03-30-2011, 04:15 PM
I had to change my oil pan last year and the big blue rubber seal looked good so I used it again. I recently had an oil change and notice I have a leak from the pan seal. Do I let it go until the next oil change or can I drain the oil change the seal and replace the oil filtering thru a cloth? I only have 500 miles on the oil and I check the pan it is tight.
GregM

Jon Wehrenberg
03-30-2011, 06:24 PM
Removing and replacing oil is common. Obviously when you drain it try not to get any dirt or debris in it and use a clean container. I don't know what cloth or filter media will work best. Cheesecloth comes to mind but that is nothing more than a guess.

johnklopp
03-31-2011, 10:13 AM
The low cost approach would be to purchase a cone filter used to filter paint before use on an airless spray gun. Additional filter material or cheese cloth could be added as suggested by Jon. A higher level of filtering would require a pump to overcome the differential pressure required to push the oil through the filter element.

JIM CHALOUPKA
03-31-2011, 11:31 AM
Greg, install the Quik Drain valve first, using the model with the hose bib. In that way you can control the drain into small mouthed containers and minimize contamination from the get go. You will also be able to drain warm, ensuring a more complete and less messy drain.

Be sure to keep your mouth closed when removing the plug and installing the valve. :eek:

JIM:)

gmcbuffalo
03-31-2011, 01:48 PM
Thanks guys. Jim I was thinking to bad I don't have one of those drains on now. So you just splash and go, I'll give it a try.
GregM