PDA

View Full Version : San Antonio Area

pwf252
03-29-2011, 07:16 PM
Ok, I was going to research on the web to find a good park in San Antonio for a weekend next month as asking here on the site almost feels like I'm asking for a radio check (if you get the reference) anyway after much surfing I've given up on finding reliable info there and am looking for suggestions on a park, preferably on the Northside. My wife ran across a posting for a day of research and analysis of auto and motorcycle crashes during which they have live crashes. Couldn't pass up the opportunity for a day of fun like that. Anyone familar with a good park?

AmeriStar
03-29-2011, 07:58 PM
We have stayed at the Lackland AFB famcamp. Military famcamps are available to active duty, DOD employees, reserve and retired military. There is a web site to register for membership.These are some of the best kept secrets in RV campgrounds.
The RV portion was located on the back corner of the base and was quiet. Had plenty of shade, free washers and dryers, and access to all military facilities. Also located next to US90 which provided quick access to San Antonio. The price as I recall was under $20.00 per night.

Jerry Winchester
03-30-2011, 12:08 AM
Only decent park we have run onto is Blazing Star right next to Sea World.

Seabyrd
03-30-2011, 01:28 AM
If Blazing Star is full try Admiralty RV right around the corner from Blazing Star also on the same road as Sea World..

Bill Price
03-30-2011, 06:34 AM
Stay at Buckhorn in Kerrville and drive over. Easy drive on I-10 and not that far. We stayed at Admiralty years ago. The spaces are too close together.

Ledo
03-30-2011, 08:18 AM
The military base is probably the most convenient place if you can get in. We stayed at Blazing Star which wasn't bad. Little tight in some areas. We prefer to be on the northern side of S.A. also and have now started staying in New Braunfels at Camp Hauco Springs forward facing the Guadalupe River. Sites 1 - 7 are most desirable. Not a 5 star resort but is a neat place to camp on the river. Do not take the road thru town with the bus. LOW BRIDGE. Take the loop. Good restaurants in town at the Liberty Bistro and in Gruene at Gristmill. Make sure to go dancing at the oldest dance hall in Texas in Gruene. Avoid this camp during holidays because of the river tubing crowd but hey, some may find it entertaining watching drunks float by in a truck tube. I do.

wayne
03-30-2011, 08:37 AM
Yea....what Bill said.
San Antonio really doesn't have a great park for big rigs.
You won't be sorry if you stay at Buckhorn....super easy drive into San Antonio.

pwf252
03-30-2011, 01:38 PM
Thanks all for the suggestions.

Patrick