PDA

View Full Version : New Orleans

Woody
03-21-2011, 07:57 PM
My best friend who unfortunately owns a plastic coach is going to New New Orleans the first of the month - his last trips campground was a disappointment - what is the best!

Jerry Winchester
03-21-2011, 08:15 PM
I don't think there is but two of them so whichever one he stayed at last time makes that choice easy enough. I've only stayed at the French Quarter RV Park. It is "okay" but in an iffy area next to the quarter. He'll be okay if he is armed.

pwf252
03-21-2011, 09:03 PM
Andre and Ann Ducote spend time in New Orleans and just this afternoon they recommended to Sherry and I the State Park site (Bayou Segnette) They felt is was an adequate park. I reserved a site for the weekend of the Eighth of April as the French Quarter Park is full that weekend. As a plus we saved a couple hundred bucks on fee's

merle&louise
03-21-2011, 09:43 PM
Woody,

I would recommend French Quarter RV resort first and Pontchartrain LandingRV park second: http://www.pontchartrainlanding.com/

Pontchartrain Landing is gravel roads and sites, but it is located on the Industrial Canal close to Lake Pontchartrain. It's nice, but it is also in a rough neighborhood. Just be aware of your surroundings and travel during the day and not at night. You'll be fine.

French Quarter RV is paved roads and sites and like JDUB said is in a seedy part of town. As long as you walk to the French Quarter during daylight hours you should be o.k. Take a cab after dark. The campground has a fence around it with gated entry and armed guards. It is located in the middle of downtown New Orleans.

P.S. The only downside to Bayou Segnette State Park is that none of the sites have sewerage. You have to disconnect when you are ready to dump. It is however in a very safe environment. I would guess that it is about a 20 minute drive to downtown New Orleans. It is also very nice and woodsy. Paved roads and sites. Hope this helps.

LNDYCHT
03-21-2011, 10:28 PM
We stayed at New Orleans West KOA last February. We stayed Super Bowl Weekend when the Saints won ( Yee Ha ). It was a tidy little park that is family run. The staff was friendly and helpful and provide a shuttle down town which was about a 20 minute drive. The neighborhood seemed OK to me and we even walked the levy which is right across the street. Others have said that the neighborhood is not great but I felt safe.

Jon Wehrenberg
03-29-2011, 07:45 AM
We've spent a lot of time in NO and just returned yesterday from a family vacation there. It was our first time back since the late 90's. We always stayed previously at the KOA west, and this year stayed in the FQ RV park. We have a few observations.

The FQ RV park is LOUD. Not the folks who stay there, but sirens, motorcycle racers, and loud traffic from I-10 and the streets surrounding the park. However it is first class. We would use that park again because it is not only very nice with paving blocks and good services, but it is walking distance to the French Quarter. We walked a lot, including to and from the Jax Brewery, Cafe DuMonde and other places in the quarter.

However we also like the KOA west which in its facilities can't compare with the newly constructed FQRV. But we like the KOA west because it is quieter, they provided shuttle service to the quarter and we tended to eat more at local places rather than FQ tourist traps with high prices and snooty waiters (which had great food but outrageous prices).

Whe we go to NO we don't do much on Bourbon street, but do like to make visits to the quarter, but also spend a lot of time visiting plantations and other things not necessarily convenient to the FQRV. It all depends on what we want to do to determine where we stay. As long as we have all services like good electric we are not really converned too much about how fance the RV park is. We have not been in the RV park on the industrial canal. Anything in the area around the lake suffered greatly from Katrina and you will see devastation and abandoned properties everywhere.

michaeldterry
03-29-2011, 08:09 AM
Jon - your mention of Cafe Du Monde brought back good memories! When I was a VP at CSC (Computer Sciences Corp) way back in the 1990's, I had an office in New Orleans and loved sitting outside at Cafe Du Monde enjoying their wonderful beignets and watching the world go by! Good times! BTW - we missed you and Di at Oysterfest!

AmeriStar
03-29-2011, 08:09 PM
PONTCHARTRAIN LANDING is the best we've found in the New Orleans area. We enjoy this park, far enough from the city yet close enough to visit the Quarter. Everything worked as it should, the bar and pool area were clean and staff was friendly. Great place to sit and meet other guests. Sites are level. This is one of the higher priced parks, but it's location to the water is great. We felt completely safe.

TG Transport
03-29-2011, 08:46 PM
French Quarter RV is the only way to go......if you do not tow. We walk or ride bikes the three times we have been there and as it was said previously, take a cab after dark.

Jon Wehrenberg
03-29-2011, 09:42 PM
While cabs are plentiful and we never spent more than $10 going to or from anywhere in the FQ, we did not feel at risk walking back to the park in the evening. We did not walk back after dark however, but not because of concerns, but because we were getting worn down and were tired.

That might not be the case all the time however. The lot in front of the closed supermarket outside the FQ RV Park was a bee hive of activity because they were filming in the FQ and there was a lot of lights, security and activity, both there and into the FQ.

Woody
03-30-2011, 07:18 AM
Thanks to you all - I have forwarded all your comments to my friend.