PDA

View Full Version : Source for imitation mirrored ceiling

Danss
11-08-2006, 07:47 AM
Does anyone know the source for the genuine, imitation , authentic looking glass they use on the ceiling on many conversions. Thanks:confused:

Jon Wehrenberg
11-08-2006, 10:07 AM
I suggest you contact a converter and hope they will share that information.

I have a strong suspicion that just hanging a piece of mirrored plexiglass or polished aluminum or whatever else may be used is not as easy as it might appear, either for a ceiling redesign, or a repair. Our coaches not only shake everything in them from highway and drivetrain vibrations, but more importantly they grow and shrink a whole lot depending on temperatures. I would be surprised if the expansion and contraction was not around 1/2". That dictates the material selected also needs to expand and contract at a rate similar to the whole coach.

Personally, I love the appearance of mirrored ceilings and how they tend to make the coach feel more open, but I would never spec one because they are a huge pain in the butt to keep sparkling clean, and the smallest haze or streaks show up as clear as a bell when the light is just right.

Joe Cannarozzi
11-08-2006, 05:39 PM
What a great topic. Once we are satisfied what we have is whole again this is a project we will be doing.

Jon, what are the celings in your bus. They sure looked like "real" mirror?

How do you suppose they mount or secure the real mirror if that is what it is and if not what about the alternitives if that is the case, how are they secured?

Glue and or brackets, possibly slightly loose at the edges for expansion?

If it is somthing imitation you could mount it in a slightly loose frame that could be mounted and then hidden by additional celing vallances? Just thinking out loud.

Toy Box
11-08-2006, 05:44 PM
If you are talking about mirrored plexi-glass, the best brand is made by Mitsubishi. Used for many years in large boats. If you are talking about a Liberty, they use polished ss.

BrianE
11-08-2006, 05:58 PM
The material that is used is a sheet laminate. Wilsonart makes a version of the material that is in their "Decorative Metal" series. The one you need is AK1102 "Chrome". The material also comes in many other metal finishes. It handles just like any other kind of plastic laminate, given the obvious that a very small mistake installing will show up big-time.

BrianE
94Liberty XL

lewpopp
11-08-2006, 09:29 PM
On my coach at the remodeled entrance that I did I used mirrored plexiglass. I wasn't anything special that wasn't available at a glass shop. It scratches very easily and you have to be careful. I used the plexiglass on the sides of the entrance so scratching is held to a minimum. On the toe kick areas I used mirrored SS.

On my ceiling, I seem to have a plexiglass that has a slight tint to it. I don't think that glass is as tender as my entrance even tho it it is our of the way and in a low abuse area.

Lew

rmboies
11-09-2006, 08:29 AM
Jon, I totally agree with you regarding the streaks--they came make you crazy and heaven forbid if you suffer from OCD! When we brought our H3 45 back from Phoenix, the ceiling was so streaked we thought we would never be able to get it to our liking. Finally, Bob used car wax on it and it was amazing how clear it became. I believe the mistake people make is trying to clean it with Windex or some type of glass cleaner. Windex is not even good to use for glass anymore since they changed their formula and can be the death of the imitation mirrors.

Has anyone ever had their mirrors (glass ones) etched while installed in their coach? I would like to have that done to our living room mirror.:confused:

Just Plain Jeff
11-09-2006, 09:23 AM
I don't like mirrored ceilings in the bedroom.

When I wake up in the morning it scares me to death to see myself.

Jeff Bayley
11-09-2006, 12:46 PM
Debbie and Bob- For etching your mirrors, you could look into a faux etching as an option where you use a decal that is opaque and reprelicates (very well) the etched look. I'm pretty sure that any of the sign makers that use computer controlled scribe to cut the designs out can customize what ever you need and also stick it on for you as an option. This of course would help at resale time if is was not permanent.

Debbie and Joe- Here's a photo of how my ceiling mirrors and how they are mounted in my bus. They are hinged to allow access to clean the filters on the roof A/C's

On a related topic, I was thinking of adding more mirror material (or some other trim) in key places of the roof where the soot is collecting by the A/C vents.

Question: Has anyone else ever had this problem of dirt getting forced out from the roof A/C vents ? (see photos). My ceiling is a type of suede cloth and it is very hard to clean. After cleaning it, it is black again in about 6-12 months (full time living). I thought it was getting caused by the generator exhaust so I ran the exhaust all the way out the tail end of the coach. No change. I took the shrowds off on top and cleaned the coils super good. Soot keeps coming.