PDA

View Full Version : Crestron Control with iPad

Jerry Winchester
03-21-2011, 05:22 PM
Crestron has come out with an iPad app that will allow you to control all the functions currently programed on your Crestron unit from your iPad or iPhone. Further to that, you can also operate these functions while you are away from the bus. So say I was headed out to the hanger to get the bus out but wanted to cool it down before I got there, I could just pick up my phone and turn on the AC in the bus while I was still at the house.

Has anyone got this kind of set up? I should have it running in a couple of weeks, but wanted to see if anyone had any experience with it.

http://www.crestron.com/products/apple_mac_iphone_ipod_ipad_control/

Alan__
03-21-2011, 10:29 PM
Sounds great. Any idea what the control interfaces cost to attach to your existing Crestron System?

garyde
03-21-2011, 10:49 PM
These have been available in the home lighting industry for some time. With most comprehensive home lighting systems we offer the remote apps capability.
You are going to need a land line, or some means to communicate with your coach.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
03-22-2011, 12:00 AM
Hey Gary De, I don't think you will need a land line, cause it states that it works off of WiFi or a 3g network. My only concern is the connection or interface between your current Crestron controller on the bus, and the new apps on the IPad ?

'Crestron App for iPadŽ
Crestron Mobile ProŽ G transforms your iPad into a virtual Crestron touch panel. Turn on your favorite tune or set the perfect mood lighting, all from the stunning screen of the iPad. On the go? Take the iPad with you and control your home's climate and security anywhere using 3G or WiFi.'Learn more about:
Crestron Mobile ProŽ G for iPadŽ

Gary S.

Jerry Winchester
03-22-2011, 09:23 AM
I think part of the answer is that I already have a 3G wireless router in the bus. The iPad app from Crestron is $99 and then you have the tech time to sort out the customization. I have to think if one of us can get it sorted out, then it might be fairly easy to replicate.

My iPad has about taken over for my laptop as the apps get stronger and the operating software improves. My birthday present is the new iPad, so I can Skype my daughter or any similarly situated POG member which I have to think will be the new wave of tech support.

Jerry Winchester
04-09-2011, 11:48 PM
The new Crestron iPad app lives. And it works pretty sweet. The Crestron actually acts as a server, so when you mate the iPad to it, it just loads up the buttons and other widgets from the Crestron and there is virtually nothing to do to the iPad other than download the app from Crestron.

And for local control, you only have to be hooked up to the router. I stood out in the hanger and put the awnings out to the desired length or made them all go in together. Same thing controlling the shades. It has a couple more shortcuts on the menu, but it worked just as advertised. I'll see about some screen shots of it tomorrow.

Another widget he is working on is a drop in Crestron replacement for Pronto controller/remote. We had one on the 2001 and while functional, it was way past the foreskin of technology and will probably die before too long. I had already been thru the Pronto battery hunt on the '01' so you Pronto controller guys might keep this in mind.

garyde
04-10-2011, 02:38 PM
Jerry, What do you have as a link to the Coach. In other words, can you do these Apps from New York while your Coach is in Texas. Do you have a # G card connected to
a Fixed modem which is connected to the Crestron.

Jerry Winchester
04-10-2011, 06:20 PM
I have an AT&T USB air card that plugs into the router. You only need that if you want to turn the AC on or retract the awnings when you are in California and the bus is in Texas. For all the rest of it, you just use the router as wifi for the link between the iPad and the Crestron unit.

Jerry Winchester
04-10-2011, 09:31 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-FDIWAN6xdX8/TaJY198IjUI/AAAAAAAABHo/fQyKTfwLStA/s1600/photo-706439.PNG

phorner
04-11-2011, 12:43 PM
That sounds really cool, Jerry :cool:

merle&louise
04-11-2011, 01:37 PM
Where is the taco icon?

Mark3101
04-11-2011, 04:45 PM
I have an AT&T USB air card that plugs into the router. You only need that if you want to turn the AC on or retract the awnings when you are in California and the bus is in Texas. For all the rest of it, you just use the router as wifi for the link between the iPad and the Crestron unit.

Can you tell me the make and model of your router? I have a newer Cisco/Linksys that is in the bus now and works great with the wi-fi Crestron remote I got last summer. That thing is sweet, but the ipad looks even better. I am looking for something I can plug a usb dongle into so as to get internet while going down the road and having it tied into the existing router would be great, but I don't think the Cisco/Linksys one supports that.

rfoster
04-11-2011, 05:30 PM
Good one Tuga, but I thought we would see the turbulator button at the top of the screen.

phorner
04-11-2011, 07:27 PM
A lot of folks have a Cradlepoint router which supports an air card for internet access while we're on the move.

Works great and the guys at 3Gstore.com can answer any of your questions.

Jerry Winchester
04-11-2011, 08:34 PM
We have the Cradlepoint router that Paul spoke of.

http://www.cradlepoint.com/products/mbr1000-mobile-broadband-039n039-router-3g4g-wireless-router