PDA

View Full Version : 8 Toyo 12R22.5 Tires, 6 Alcoa 8.25" Wheels, 2 Steel Rims.

Bruce Harris
03-16-2011, 08:14 AM
Changing out my Toyo 12R22.5's and wheels to 315/80R22.5 on 9.00" rims selling all 8, original tires and wheels, Tires have 37,000 miles, heated garage, no cracks, no cuts, no Flat spots (technically out of date) rims are like new 10 lug. I have extra Marathon Peanut covers I will throw in as well. Price for all??? negotiable. Florida for now, planning on heading up to Holland Mi to Holland MH for some service and upgrades can swap out either in Florida or Holland Mi.

truk4u
03-16-2011, 08:58 AM
Bruce,

Welcome to the forum. What did these tires come off of and what is the date code?

BoaterAl
03-16-2011, 12:26 PM
Bruce, I have a set (2) Koni front shocks for sale on e-bay. Posted title " Prevost Motorhome" They have not sold yet but, lots of hits. So I know they will go at some point.

Just a suggestion for getting the word out about your parts for sale.

Jon Wehrenberg
03-16-2011, 01:13 PM
Bruce,

I don't know if you are aware but 315 tires are OK to use on 8.25 wheels or 9.00 wheels. In fact on your coach the inner drive wheels are 8.25 and you cannot run two 9.00 wheels on the drive. On a Prevost that is. Don't know what coach you have.

Bruce Harris
03-16-2011, 03:15 PM
Hello Jon. That is interesting about the 8.25's verses the 9.00". I was told that the 315's would get pinched (?) and end up wearing unevenly which is why I am replacing them with the 9.00" Is it true? The wheels look great that are on the Country Coach but as you know I have a tire fetish which is better than a foot fetish.

Bruce Harris
03-16-2011, 03:27 PM
Hello Al.

I have 8 Road King shocks sitting in my Garage waiting for the AirBags to arrive so I can head on up to Holland Motorhomes in Holland Mi to service and upgrade the coach. Taking off the Koni's , will end up with 4X 17.50" koni's and 2X 15" koni's (height is at full ride height) left over. I do know if they will fit a Prevost. I do use both Craig's list and Ebay, find ebay a bit of a pain in the Ass. Craig's list on the other hand for certain stuff is excellent.

Bruce Harris
03-16-2011, 03:33 PM
Hello Truk. The tires are original 7 years old. As I said they are technically beyond the service dates. Now having said this they run nicely, the original owner took excellent care, no cuts, cracking at all, great wear pattern overall, no flat spots, 37K on tires wheels look even better, but they are out of date?

Jon Wehrenberg
03-16-2011, 03:42 PM
http://www.michelinrvtires.com/michelinrv/tires-retreads/tireInfo.do?tread=XZA1

Bruce,

If this link works it will show 9.00 and 8.25 as acceptable rim sizes. If the type of tire is not correct you can look up the information for the specific tire you have chosen but for a 315 tire I am pretty sure 8.25 is OK. Every one of us running 45 foot coaches has an 8.25 steel inner wheel on the drive, and an aluminum 9.00 wheel for the outer wheel.

Whover told you the tires would be pinched needs remedial training.

Steve Bennett
03-16-2011, 04:38 PM
Michelin did previously list the 9" wheel only for the 315 XZA1 tire. Like John stated Prevost ran as standard a 9" Aluminum wheel with a 8.25" steel inside dual. The original concern was not for "pinching" Michelin was concerned with "dual kissing" where the 2 tires would contact at the lower bulge, and cause excess heating of the carcass. With the advent of the 315 XZA2 Energy tire Michelin took another look at the 8.25" wheel, and has approved the 8.25" wheel for the 315 XZA1 & XZA2 tires. I had spoken to Michelin's engineering people about 2 years ago, as I have chrome plated 8.25" Aluminum Alcoa's, and wanted to run the 315 XZA2 Energy tires. I did not want the cost of new wheels & the plating of the 9" wheels (the plating was $500/wheel 9 years ago) You can run the 315's on the 8.25" wheels without any problem. If the 8.25" wheel has a non-standard offset. You may still want to make sure you have adequate spacing on the dual application.

Bruce Harris
03-16-2011, 05:34 PM
Excellent News Steve. You really did your homework on this one. I really was not anxious about replacing the rims, as mine are in outstanding condition plus I have the Smartires on all positions a real waste as Smartire no longer supports the product I've been told. Thanks again Steve. I guess i now have 8 Toyos for sale without the Rims. It pays to do the research, glad to be back in POG. I have to thank Skiff for getting in touch.

JIM CHALOUPKA
03-16-2011, 06:44 PM
Bruce, from another thread.

Lightbulb

Bob/Deb, I have the Smart Tire and have been assured by the selling agent, Les Schwab that the sensors will be available for the life of the product. Even though Bendix pulled the product from the RV market they will not let existing users holding the proverbial Bag.

You may want to contact Paul Kintigh at Les Schwab 1-800-257-8430.

This is a West Coast company so you could call now.

JIM

BoaterAl
03-16-2011, 08:00 PM
Bruce,
Thanks forgot all about Craigs list to sell the Koni's. By the way, you will like the Road King on the front axle. I still have new Koni on the rear and probably will leave them on. Going from OEM Prevost shocks to Koni was a big improvement in ride and handling.

I would like to hear from you after you test drive with Road King all the way around.
AL

truk4u
03-16-2011, 08:26 PM
So Bruce, what CC do you have? If you want to sell parts, let us know what they are coming off. Is it an Inspire, Allure, Intrigue, Magna, Affinity or what? It makes a difference when talking about shocks and no they won't fit a Prevost if they're coming off a plastic CC.

I assume you are looking for someone in the trucking business to buy your 12R's, they obviously are of no use to anyone with a bus or motorhome. I can get you 75.00 each in Atlanta if that is of any interest to you.

Bruce Harris
03-17-2011, 07:54 AM
I looked all over for new sensors, found Bob Dickman's out in Junction City Or. they said they did not have any sensors and would not be getting anymore. All of mine work well, but are 7 years old, and are the older type 6 sensor units wanted to replace the box and add the tag tires. I will give the folks at Les Schwab (http://www.lesschwab.com/) a call and see if I can get new sensors shipped before I replace the tires. They say the batteries will fail at or near 5 to 7 years??. I was surprised about the batteries, its my understanding they are built into the sensor and cannot be replaced, only seen pictures.

Jon Wehrenberg
03-17-2011, 08:00 AM
So Bruce.....Tell us what has happened in your journey through a variety of homes on wheels. From a Marathon to a truck and now to a CC motorhome. Anything else? Whassup?

By the time you get this one all tweaked like you did the Marathon what will you replace it with?

Bruce Harris
03-17-2011, 08:00 AM
I will be replacing them when I get to Holland Motorhome in the coming weeks. I purchased them directly from roadkingshocks@aim.com, spoke with Loni who walked me through the measurements, they tuned each shock to each position, labeled each for use at each location, very interested in the outcome myself, the cost is pretty steep, hope it is worth it. I will report.

Bruce Harris
03-17-2011, 08:09 AM
Good point. its a 2004 38' CC Intrigue w/tag, 2 slide. I am not really certain I want anyone to buy the tires, feel a little queasy about selling them at all. Had a fellow from Miami who had just purchased an older Mack dump truck, this might be OK. I received a call from a fellow who was in Florida with a high school baseball team at some type of baseball camp. He has a 1988 MCI tour Bus, had 2 flats on his trip from Ohio, wanted to meet me on Friday to buy the tires and change out. I told him I would not be able to sleep if I thought he was running down the road on my tires, so your right, dump truck is best, under 55 mph use. The tires are really not much good for anything off road, tread is like new but not very aggressive. I will be interested to see what they look like inside, once we take them off the wheels. rust, etc??

Bruce Harris
03-17-2011, 08:32 AM
We loved the Marathon, I could have easily lived in it and never gone home, but we were continuously finding our travels take us to State and federal parks, tight spaces odd entry and exit situations, felt the need for a smaller coach with more clearance. The Dynomax seemed like a good choice, it was and was not. The Dynomax was a beast, could climb any grade, was the only RV I have ever owned that could downshift and pass on a steep grade, lots of power 475hp Mercedes, but the downside was the punishing ride, noise in the cabin, the ride really got to me. The good news is that in each case we found someone who wanted it more than we did. The real reason though was Pam, my wife who said she wanted a home on the lake, no more saltwater in Maine, she wanted to be near Skiff (cannot figure out why) so we purchased a cottage on Damariscotta Lake In Maine, knocked it down and built a really neat 4 season home, finished it just before Thanksgiving last year, bad news it cost just about twice what we had planned, always does, Pam is happy, which is what counts. I was not going to go Rving this year but got the bug a few weeks ago, was going to find either a 38' Foretravel or a 38' CC each with a tag as a goal, got lazy found the CC close by. Never owned or even been in a CC. but I must say the ride is almost as good as the Prevost, the CC. Chassis design is well thought out, everything is nicely done, everything works, easy access to most everything, too bad they are in flux at the CC corporation though, and the CCI Club is under redevelopment for now. People have all been very nice, helpful. So the long answer is we are going out on the road to the West Coast, can't get into much trouble buying fuel this time, only holds 110 gallons. At these prices I would be able to get away with under $500 when I drive off.

truk4u
03-17-2011, 09:01 AM
Bruce,

If you get near Atlanta, I got another member a tire quote for Michelin 315's in February for 698.45. That included all tax, mount, balance and trade-in credit. I have a friend in the truck tire business just south of Atlanta. Michelin took a price increase I believe March 1st, so I'm sure the price is a little higher. I'll hook you up with them if you want.

As you can see by my signature, I also am in a plastic CC, so when they start to pick on you, I'll be in your corner!:p As far as plastic goes, you made a good choice.

Bruce Harris
03-17-2011, 09:47 AM
I would like the name and number, will call. Your right about the price jump, timing is everything. As for the plastic, well? I can live with it I guess. The CC appears to have (pre 2005) a solid construction, big feel about it, from the chassis to most components, even the slides are a bit better, cleaner cuts, better fit on the older CC's. The skin is nice, the roof is solid, like the double pane windows with the tint, so far everything works well, I even like the slide room HWH design, nicely done, rugged, nice fit and finish, have pulled out lots of drawers, gotten behind panels, crawled under the coach, all looks very workman like. Do not know much about the 400 HP Cummins? Have been told by some folks that all did not stay this way at CC starting around 2005 model year?

truk4u
03-17-2011, 10:49 AM
Here's the link Bruce: http://www.actiontireco.com/Scripts/default.asp

Ask for Rick Stewart, he's the owner and mention my name.

There are some issues with the 400 and the best place to find them is here: http://autos.dir.groups.yahoo.com/group/Country-Coach-Owners/

Al might jump in here as well, he may know some of the problems.

BoaterAl
03-17-2011, 12:09 PM
Not much help on the 400 as my Affinity had the C-12 @455hp. In 10 years with the C12 replaced 2 sensors (cam and crankshaft sensors due to micro engine shut down at cruise speed) belt tensioner, 2 belts, coolant and a T-stat (stuck open).

Bruce Harris
03-17-2011, 12:25 PM
I will jump on this site and see if I can learn anything. Have only driven the coach a few 100 miles so far, no issues at all, not used to having everything work. Once we get to Holland MH. we plan on changing all fluids, everything, rear end, transmission, coolant, check the engine out, get some spares onboard etc. before we head out west. There is enough power, but not overwhelming amounts, the Silverleaf works well.