PDA

View Full Version : Kohler Generator - Liberty installation

phorner
03-16-2011, 08:10 AM
While dry camping here in downtown Perry Georgia, I'm keeping an eye on my generator temperatures and was surprised to see that they were slightly elevated....reading just over 190 degrees. Especially since the ambient temperatures are on the cooler side. Usual temps are just under 180 degrees.

Having never seen the temperature this warm I checked out the radiator and the top tank is hot, but the bottom tank is cold. Seems as though there is no movement of coolant through the radiator.

My generator radiator was re-cored less than 2 years ago, so I'm inclined to believe that the core is not completely plugged.

Any thoughts???

Mark3101
03-16-2011, 08:40 AM
Are you loading the generator more heavily than some of the other times you have checked the temps? Mine, also a Kohler, (Yanmar 4cyl. turbo) will vary based on load and outside temp. Mine runs between 180 and 190. I have a roof mounted radiator, so I don't know what would be a normal differential on yours from top to bottom. If you had no flow through the system, I would think you would be running more than 190.

phorner
03-16-2011, 08:56 AM
Are you loading the generator more heavily than some of the other times you have checked the temps? Mine, also a Kohler, (Yanmar 4cyl. turbo) will vary based on load and outside temp. Mine runs between 180 and 190. I have a roof mounted radiator, so I don't know what would be a normal differential on yours from top to bottom. If you had no flow through the system, I would think you would be running more than 190.

Good point about the loading.... I did adjust the chargers to a higher rate of charge (20 amps versus 5 amps each) to keep the generator runs shorter.

And, the high temperature shutdown switch is set at 230 degrees, so maybe I'm just being too cautious.

I just can't believe that the radiator and blower can reduce the temperature from the top tank to the bottom tank so much. I would think that it should be much more uniform.

Thanks for the input...

jack14r
03-16-2011, 09:43 AM
If the thermostat was constantly open I would think that the both tanks would be similar in temperature,it sounds like that you are fine.My fan configuration is totally different with a 12 volt fan and it will run 180 normally but if I really load it I will see 190-200.

phorner
03-16-2011, 09:48 AM
Jack,

Now that the battery charging loads are off I'm seeing the temp drop back down to just over 180 degrees..... so maybe I'm seeing a "problem" that simply doesn't exist.

Thanks for the reply...

GDeen
03-16-2011, 11:02 AM
Mine is also a Kohler/Yanmar setup and will cycle upwards to 205 if heavily loaded in high ambient temps. First weekend we had the coach, we were at Buckhorn and they were experiencing brownouts. Afternoon temps of 107 and mine was running all three cruiseairs plus charging the batteries that ran down when the breaker kicked (we were out of the coach at the time so inverters ran 2 cruiseairs). I watched it cycle from 190 to 202-5 with the high speed fan kicking in at about 202+ and dropping the temp back to 190.

BoaterAl
03-16-2011, 12:09 PM
I would assume you looking at anologe gauges which are accurate +or -. The thermostat in good condition really is in control of the cooling and based on your post sounds OK.
If there is a problem with a plugged radiator sticking T-stat usually show there defective by getting to operating temp real fast (partially stuck) or taking forever (stuck wide open) to reach operating temp.
If all is slow and steady I think your good to go.

joelselman
03-16-2011, 02:23 PM
My gen temps (Kohler/Yanmar) run very cool at about 160-175 (Dakota Digital gauge) almost regardless of load. I have the bay mounted radiator with the electric fan. Could be that mine has a lower temp thermostat installed by Liberty or a previous owner.

Radiator should be hot at water entry point and cooler at water exit point; that"s how it works.

phorner
03-16-2011, 05:56 PM
Well, here I am with 2 CruiseAirs running, the sun shining directly on the generator and radiator bay doors and the temperature is rock steady at 180 degrees.

Guess I was looking for problems where there were, in fact, none.

So, I'll have to find something else to worry about.

And, I still can't believe how cool that bottom radiator tank stays!!

See ya at the Oysterfest........