PDA

View Full Version : The ventless clothes dryer adventure

Ledo
03-14-2011, 05:02 PM
Coach Worx is helping to install a new set of Bosch appliances, a compact washer and dryer. The Bosch Axxis had the dimensions needed to fit into the closet doors. Found a new set thru a dealer on Ebay and ordered. Ok, everything is fine. Bus was in shop having cosmetics applied and w/d came in Old Dominion freight of which I picked up and delivered to the shop. Next day we unwrapped and there it was, no vent on the back of the dryer. Hmmm, should'a known that if I ordered it off Ebay for a good price it might be missing something. No paperwork for install or user directions. Download from Bosch's website informed us that what was being installed into the closet was their new condenser dryer.
24" SET BOSCH Axxis Series WASHER / DRYER White
WAS24460UC / WTE86300US to be exact.
http://www.bosch-home.com/us/products/laundry/washers/compact/WAS24460UC.html
http://www.bosch-home.com/us/WTE86300US.html
Washer is normal compact, dryer is not.
Looks innocent doesn't it?
A condenser inside collects the water and out it pumps thru the white fitting into a hose and out thru the floor
Yes that is Ken's curiosity getting the best of him and pulling out the condenser coils
Peephole in action
Closet, connections and wiring of 220 into elec box
Drawers to be made for under each unit. Hope this post works.

Ledo
03-14-2011, 05:13 PM
Wups, put it in the wrong part of the forum! Oh well.

Coloradobus
03-14-2011, 05:46 PM
Great to see you Doug and Lee. We are glad 540 is part of POG. Great interior!! Super paint scheme!!
Did Ken Robertson tell you that your coach is one of two that I know of with a differnt kind of Teck Link that is more robust and repairable, call Metro Vision?
We were looking at a sister coach called 0541 that has the same keyboards on the dash and in the bedroom. Brian at Techlon is very familiar with this system.

Ledo
03-14-2011, 06:07 PM
Great. This system is acting up and needs repaired or replaced not sure which. Is Techlon a POG supporter?

Ledo
03-14-2011, 06:16 PM
Didn't make it in time this morning to get pics of the guys whistling while shoving these two lightweights thru the window and into the closet.

dmatz
03-14-2011, 09:14 PM
I had one of these dryers in a previous coach, it used a fair amount of water to dry. You may want to down load the manuals and specs to know how many gallons an hour you will use. FWIW

RussWhite
03-14-2011, 09:22 PM
That is truly counter-intuitive. I would have thought drying clothes would produce rather than consume water. Oh well,,,,,, Russ '99 Newell

johnklopp
03-14-2011, 09:47 PM
Water would condense the dryer exahust at a lower temperature but is probrably not leagal due to waisting water. I suspect a late model dryer will condense the exaust well but a tad slower.

garyde
03-14-2011, 10:51 PM
I don't know anything about those two units but I would recommend a pan under both with a drain. With the coach moving down the road you will have vibration and fittings can break loose or lossen up. Also, Flexible hoses should be used for the drains as well as the water connections.

Ledo
03-15-2011, 06:50 AM
I appears that as the moister laden warm air moves out of the drum thru the lint catcher and into the condenser where it cools enough to drop the water and pumps it out thru the hose. The air is then recirculated not needing to be warmed as much the next time thru. Our text run worked very well while on the shop floor. The question is will there need to be an exhaust fan installed in the closet to rid the excess warm air created of which there was. Wasn't sure if it was warm air from the dryer or from the dryer motor venting, there wasn't a lot of volume. Flexible hoses are being used in both places and the pans are a good idea Gary.

jack14r
03-15-2011, 10:00 AM
Is there a reason to purchase the condensing type over the regular vented type?Bosch has both listed on their web site and the vented type is much cheaper.

Ledo
03-15-2011, 02:22 PM
I bought the pair brand new on ebay for 1200 plus 200 to ship. Both for less then the price of the washer on Bosch's website. Didn't realize it was a condenser dryer until it came in, saw what it was and did the research of the model. The dimintions were all that mattered to me and that it was Bosch. In fact I had never heard of a ventless dryer before so I just took it for granted that it was VENTED! Guess I need to come out from under this rock more often, whats next, clothes lines with pully's on both ends? It does mention that it is a condenser dryer on the ebay page but I never put 2 and 2 together. I think it may work out pretty good though and will find out this afternoon with the installed test run.

Pete
03-15-2011, 10:01 PM
We have a single washer/dryer unit that is not vented. Great washing machine HORRIBLE dryer.....takes an hour to dry 1 handkerchief.

Ledo
03-28-2011, 09:15 AM
The dryer works great. We leave the doors open and to the closet and it drys in good time and with a full size load. Best of all it seems that this little misadventure saved having a vent drilled into the side of the bus, just a small hose run out below the floors. Hope more of my mistakes end up working out to the positive in the end! Maybe it just the law of averages.

merle&louise
03-28-2011, 11:30 AM
We have a single washer/dryer unit that is not vented. Great washing machine HORRIBLE dryer.....takes an hour to dry 1 handkerchief.

Pete,

My coach has an outside dryer door. When we forget to open the outside flap it takes forever to dry the clothes. As soon as I open it the clothes dry really quickly. Maybe you just need to vent the dryer to the outside!

Ledo
03-28-2011, 05:00 PM
Tuga, I'll bet you he has a combination Splendid that is totally ventless. Pete is right, they wash great but take a week to dry a hanky out is what I've heard. The vented models are barely any better but they at least give you hope that your clothes may be dry that day sometime.

merle&louise
03-28-2011, 05:54 PM
Tuga, I'll bet you he has a combination Splendid that is totally ventless. Pete is right, they wash great but take a week to dry a hanky out is what I've heard. The vented models are barely any better but they at least give you hope that your clothes may be dry that day sometime.

Doug you are right; another reason it dries so slowly is because it is a 110V dryer. The stacked washer/dryer is 220V.