PDA

View Full Version : Day Time Running Lights; Toad tail lights.

Will Garner
03-06-2011, 12:21 PM
OK, I had a problem with not having Day Time Running Lights a while back. It was diagnosed as being a bad diode pack in the front electrical cabinet beneath the driver's seat. I rebuilt the old diode pack, someone had obviously had the same problem before - judging by the middle diode having been jury-rigged. The rebuilt diode pack worked and the DTRL's came back on. That repair was in mid 2010. We just pulled back in from a short trip and pulling into the barn saw the DTRL's were not burning.

This was not a problem for the first three years and 35K+ miles and now it has popped up twice. The diode pack is a GM Weatherproof plastic with three diodes.

Has anyone come up against this problem before and if so how did you solve it?

I'm begining to think I have some electrical gremlins since I am also having problems getting reliable tail light operation on my tow vehicle. Again, someone else also had the problem before me. I traced it to the middle relay in the convertor added tow light box on the back wall of the engine bay. I pulled that relay, which had a bad crimp on one wire, replaced the terminal and installed a new relay. Well the replacement was for the old relay. It was a 24 Volt input from Prevost's panel to the relay which energized a 12 Volt output to the tail lights. The proir repalcement was used the wrong relay and I followed in their footstep. Again no tail lights. I finally got the correct relay and did the install. Several trips went by and the tail lights kept on shining. On our trip to Naples Florida last month, again no tail lights on the toad.

Does anyone have any insight how to go about making a permenant fix for both of these problems? Any insight will be welcome.

joelselman
03-06-2011, 03:12 PM
Can't help on the DRL's. I assume you used a standard 24 volt relay for your toad lights. I just replaced an 11 year old 12 volt relay in my 24 volt webasto light circuit...surprised it lasted that long.

Jerry Winchester
03-06-2011, 03:14 PM
Will,

Since most folks pull the daytime running light relay so they won't be on, surely someone has one they will just give you. I put the one I pulled from our XL back in when we sold it or I would send it to you.

JDUB

Will Garner
03-06-2011, 07:04 PM
Jerry, it was a diode in a three diode pack that went bad. So where is this DTRL relay placed? Maybe I need to go after it as well as the diode pack.

Joel, the 12V relay lasted for awhile but certainly not 12 years. Does your webasto ever get used? If so it looks like that relay should have gone long ago.

Thanks for the comments guys. I'll begin digging later this week.

Jerry Winchester
03-06-2011, 08:56 PM
It's in that door under the driver side window. I think it's number 76, but there is a schematic on the door (I think) that will show which one it is.

joelselman
03-08-2011, 11:27 AM
Actually, I use the Webasto very little but the way Liberty has the coach wired, the Webasto pilot light is on when I'm using over-the-road heat; they've tied them together somehow, not sure.

Will Garner
03-10-2011, 07:25 PM
Jerry,

Thanks for the info. I'll be at the bus this weekend and will check for that relay. Yes there is at least a listing on the inside of the electrical door under the driver's position.

Joel,

That interesting. Not sure what advantage there is to that arrangement, but since its a Liberty it must be right. Maybe Jon will weigh in on that comment!

Will Garner
03-10-2011, 07:27 PM
Picture of rebuilt Diode Pack.