PDA

View Full Version : Solenoids

rahangman
03-04-2011, 08:18 AM
OK, CatView shows 2 basic types of 24v Solenoids used in my coach. 50 amp and 200amp. How can I tell which solenoid is for which system/usage? Can the 200amp be used in place of the 50 amp? :o

Jon Wehrenberg
03-04-2011, 10:02 AM
I don't know the answer to that but I do know that around your vintage coach the lifespan of the solenoids was so poor that when Prevost came to the pre-FMCA convention rallies they would bring supplies of them and hand them out to owners.

They were used for the OTR, driver's air fan, parking lights and several other uses. The stated reason for the premature failures of the 50 amp were the current loads were insufficient to wipe the contacts clean. I am only repeating what we were told so if the explaination sounds bogus I am just repeating what was told. Later model coaches did away with a lot of the 50 amp solenoids and the Bosch relays seem to be more reliable.

I would not use the 200 amp in place of the 50 just for the reason Prevost stated, even though I am not sold that was the problem. FWIW Liberty used the same solenoid for their big Groco water pump and in my 21 years of Liberty ownership I have never had to replace that solenoid so there may be something to it.

LNDYCHT
03-04-2011, 06:44 PM
The 200 amp solenoid is almost 3 times the price of the 50 if purchased from Prevost. The 200 amp will probably have a higher draw to pull and hold in and will definitely have a better set of contacts.

If you look the parts up properly it will tell you the correct solenoid for your required application. For example all solenoids located in the front junction panel are 50 amp on the XL 40.

What is the purpose of the solenoid and where is it located?

rahangman
03-04-2011, 09:06 PM
So far, in nearly 4 years of Bus Time, I have had 4 solenoids replaced. 2 in the rear (engine compartment Jct Box) and 2 up front below driver. I have one 50amp left (from previous owners "stash" left on bus). I am not thinking I have any one particular fault, as I have not replaced the same Solenoid...yet. Just wanted to pick up a couple to carry with me. The last one was a life saver while on the road. Prevost Pass helped me with that. I have a distributer in Okalhoma who has the 50 amp available at $60 for 4 new ones , that he maintains have not brought complaints in the past. I figure on getting them and have them with me. Thanks for this feedback.

Jon Wehrenberg
03-05-2011, 07:46 AM
Those solenoids should be available pretty inexpensively from WW Grainger or NAPA. They are available with 12 or 24 volt coils. I carry them also, but so far on this coach the only time I have used one was on the OTR.

On the previous coach the ones that needed frequent replacement were for the driver's air fan and the parking lights, both located in the front electrical compartment. I never had to replace the ones in the rear electrical box.

rahangman
03-05-2011, 02:54 PM
Thanx everyone for the input.....will check our local Napa, they will probably have to order up 24v, but that should be no problem, closest Grainger is Springfield MO

Jon Wehrenberg
03-05-2011, 06:28 PM
Not pushing for Grainger, but I always do my business with them over the phone and I have what I need the next day. Saves gas and the frustration of not having it in stock at the local store.