PDA

View Full Version : New Fridge

jkplustax
02-16-2011, 06:05 PM
Anyone had to replace the main fridge? I have to replace mine. Don't know where to start!!!
Would greatly appreciate any information. Thanks

Jerry Winchester
02-16-2011, 06:25 PM
Is it an Amana?

A good place to start is to let us know what kind of coach / conversion you have. It's generally easiest to put it in your signature line. That will keep everyone from having to ask that question from the git-go.

I know the Trukman replaced his recently since I helped lift it out and back into his formerly owned Liberty.

truk4u
02-16-2011, 08:03 PM
Like Jdub says, we need your year and conversion. I'll be glad to share my experience, just e-mail me or call if want.

It starts like this..

And ends like this..

jkplustax
02-16-2011, 10:34 PM
'06 H3 Featherlite

Jerry Winchester
02-17-2011, 12:24 AM
Well the starting place is to locate a replacement fridge. Same model and size works best if it's still available. Next hurdle is removing it and as you can see from Tom's photo, it comes out thru the window. If you have an '06' then that has the big one piece windows right?

Unless you are a window wiz, this is where I would punt and find a window guy and someone with a fork lift with padded extensions. And several buddies.

Also, are you sure it is dead? I had mine repaired right in the bus. We pulled it out and the guy fixed it right there in the floor. Of course we removed the table and covered the floor.

rickdesilva
02-17-2011, 06:40 AM
I can't speak for the H-3 but I had the unpleasant experience with my XL ll. I replaced mine without removing the windshield. I stripped everything off the entrance door and along the sides of the stairwell. I also removed the front seats. I was able to buy a counter depth refrigerator. I removed the doors and everything removable and it BARELY fit through the door. Bottom line, do your homework, take measurements and research the available refrigerators and there's a possibility you can do it without removing the windshield.

Jon Wehrenberg
02-17-2011, 07:30 AM
Step one is to select a refrigerator that will fit. Eliminate Amana from your search. I spent way too much time repairing my Amana before I realized it was a waste of time.

Depending on your converter you may or may not have to create a platform to sit the refrigerator on so when it is in the coach you can just roll it into place. If you have a refrigerator that is installed on floor level a platform is not required.

When you have selected the refrigerator, if you have to trim or modify the existing opening make certain you or someone with skills can make the changes so the end result is the same quality of appearance as the original. My opening had to be increased in height, and as it turned out slightly in width and I used Russell Coach to modify the opening. It looks easy, but a small mistake can be costly.

To facilitate the removal and installation I stripped both refrigerators to cut down on the size and to reduce the weight. Stripping includes not only doors, but shelves and anything else that can be removed. I removed the passenger seat and opened a path in line with the RH windshield to get the refrigerator out and the new one in. I have an XL so the windshield came out easily and was replaced easily when we were done. An XLII may have a more difficult windshield removal process, but whatever that costs in time or money may be far less than the cost of repairing damage.

Four people are needed along with some type of lift like a fork truck. Two guys inside, two guys outside.

There is no substitute for taking care to protect everything from damage. I used mats and rugs to cover and protect surfaces like the dash and furniture. We took our time and did not move anything unless and until we were sure we weren't going to scrape or gouge anything. On my coach I had to remove the table to provide needed room to position the refrigerator for removal and installation and having extra room was critical.

As to selection I measured multiple times to know the exact opening I was dealing with and spent a lot of time on the internet to determine the models that matched the available space. None was exact. I also found that a width of 36" for example is little more than the target dimension for the refrigerator because I had a space 1/8" wider than the stated width, but the actual refrigerator was 1/8 wider than the opening, and 1/4" wider than stated. The difference was not at the face or rear, but at the sides which bulged due to the foam insulation I would guess.

I use a risk versus reward analysis doing a job like this. If one path saves me time, but carries the risk of damaging something as opposed to another path (such as door versus windshield) carrying much less risk, I opted for the safe way. Repairing or replacing torn dash coverings, damaged cabinet laminates, or gouged floors or ceilings is often far more costly than spending time to do additional disassembly. Remember, when the converter brings some components into the coach, such as the refrigerator, they do this early in the process so there is less risk of damaging anything. That makes a replacement a task requiring much more care.

truk4u
02-17-2011, 08:23 AM
Since your fridge is likely an 06, I can't imagine it not being able to be repaired as Jdub pointed out. I had the old Amana and the fridge guy came to the bus and checked it out and unfortunately for me, some parts were no longer available.

jack14r
02-17-2011, 11:07 AM
That 06 Featherlite might have been converted several years earlier,so the fridge might be older that we think.