PDA

View Full Version : Speedometer/Odometer

Richard Barnes
02-14-2011, 09:24 AM
Yesterday my speedometer/odometer suddenly lost it's mind. I had just recorded my mileage while fueling the coach and while getting back on the interstate I noticed that the speedometer was pegged and I was probably moving about 20mph. The odometer reading of 122469.2 miles which I had just recorded was now showing 12246.9 miles and the decimal point was flashing. This is a VDO instrument and I'm assuming it's electronic. Has anyone experienced this and any advice? If it's a transmission sensor can you give me a possible location. Thanks guys!

Jon Wehrenberg
02-14-2011, 12:39 PM
I haven't had that specific problem but I have replaced 2 speedos in 20 years. Not a high failure rate, but in the context of my cars i never have replaced any so the reliability is not there.

Prevost sells a kit to replace speedos and it is not a big deal. You just will not get the ability to reset your mileage unless you want to let it "run" electronically until it gets there. I just recorded the mileage at changeout and if anyone needs the actual mileage they just have to add the two together, or in my case use the Pro-Driver mileage which is off by a little. I have no clue which one is correct.

dmatz
02-14-2011, 06:56 PM
I had a similar issue in my last bus, when it pegged I would tap on the face and it would come back to the proper speed. It did it every month or so.

truk4u
02-14-2011, 08:32 PM
Richard,

Keep the old Speedo in the bus and be sure to document the change out with whatever paperwork you get to keep any discrepancy concerns from being an issue one day when you trade up to that new one!

stevet903
02-14-2011, 11:28 PM
The electronic VDO speedometers are programmed by holding down the trip button in a specific sequence. Maybe you managed to inadvertently hit that mode when you got the trip miles. The programming instructions are in the speedometer replacement document from Prevost - IS96014B. http://prevostparts.volvo.com/technicalpublications/pdf/Is-96014B.pdf Maybe this will help - Steve