PDA

View Full Version : Installing GUEST 2611A starting batteries charger

bill lambrecht
02-12-2011, 10:26 AM
I know I saw how to hook up the charger ,but I cant find now.Need help finding the diagrahm. THANKS BILL

Will Garner
02-12-2011, 11:17 AM
Bill, contact Tom Chilcote or Mike Anderson. They both have diagrams for this installation. I can't find my file from Tom. I did the installation about three years ago. Well worth it. Be very careful not to over tighten the brass wiring posts. They do break in a manner that no repair is possible, only a new replacement unit.

stevet903
02-12-2011, 12:22 PM
It's on this page:

http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/showthread.php?3663-Which-Guest-Charger/page2&highlight=guest+charger

Steve

johnbrowder
07-21-2011, 06:24 PM
My OE "Magnatek" charger has made, at times, a terrible sound as if the fan is grinding on the case. It does not make the noise now, but I think the fan may have died. So it is time for a new charger. I was planning on the Guest 2611A so many folks have used, but as I was looking at the Guest site, and saw # 2620A, what appears to be a 20 Amp version in the same line of chargers. It seems if one was in a dead chassis battery situation, this charger could get the batteries up to starting voltage quite a bit sooner than a 10 amp charger. It draws a maximum of 3.75 amps AC.

Is this a reasonable assumption? Is there a reason to NOT get the 20 Amp version?

Thanks!

Jon Wehrenberg
07-21-2011, 07:43 PM
In a dead battery situation you do not need a chassis battery charger for two reasons. If the failure of the battery to hold a charge is an internal short, it is unlikely they will hold enough of a charge to start the coach.

If you had concerns about that a better solution might be to access your house batteries now, before you have an issue and add cable and posts to create a point to jump the chassis batteries. Easier and quicker with good jumper cables.

johnbrowder
07-21-2011, 08:42 PM
The situation that caused me to post today is I accidentally left the chassis battery with on for about two weeks, and today I found my chassis batts dead. I know, mea culpa, but i happens. My Magnatek was able to bring them back up in and hour... I still do not trust it.

On my Royale, I had the same charger. A wise person suggested I put a mechanical timer on the charger, setting it to run 2 hours a day. Worked perfectly for years. I like the idea of a smart charger that will not overcharge or boil the batteries. I plan to leave it on 24/7. This is the system used on big boats with wet and gel batteries. This system has worked great for me for years.

Seems like it should work on a bus as well.

I do have jump start terminals, but today, in my bus garage, there would have been no way to get another vehicle close enough to jump. Also, in a scenario when chassis batts are down accidentally (let's say the wife leaves the key and lights on over night), wake up with a deal battery in a remote RV park. You want to leave, no one to jump, I don't want to wait hours for a charge... seems like 20 amps is better than 10. Right?

truk4u
07-21-2011, 10:23 PM
John,

I had a Schauer Charger in my Liberty that Brian installed, it was 3 stage and would give you the power to start in short order. I don't remember the model number and here's the webiste: http://www.battery-chargers.com/chgrpic.htm