PDA

View Full Version : What are the odds

grantracy
02-11-2011, 07:58 AM
Went to a local motorcycle meet for vintage bikes the other day,rode my 1945 Harley Davidson Knucklehead which I am slowly restoring to original. Approximately 398 were produced in '45 ,came in one color and had virtually no chrome because of the war effort. Anyway I thought it would be one of the more unique bikes given the relative scarcity. As I pull into the judging area whats there but a perfect( 100pt.) restoration of a 1945,had been in the fellas family since 1950. Mines the one without the bags.

Loc
02-11-2011, 08:01 AM
two needles in a single haystack

JIM CHALOUPKA
02-11-2011, 08:26 AM
Yours looks just as good Granvil.

Tell us about the wheel difference! Is yours more rare. I have never seen disc wheels on a bike before.

JIM :)

truk4u
02-11-2011, 08:27 AM
I think the guy just put some pressure on you Granvil!

grantracy
02-11-2011, 08:37 AM
Jim, those are wheel covers ..a 50's accessory. Not really correct for judging but I like them and will keep them on. Tom he sure did, next day pulled the engine for an " engine restoration" if you look at his bike you can see the oil pump and lifter blocks are off white...no aluminum for silver paint,the other pieces are parkerized...I'm trying to get mine done for Eustis in two weeks. BTW tried to attach additional pics but files are too large..whats the trick for fixing that?

phorner
02-11-2011, 10:04 AM
Great looking bike, Granvil.

And yep, I would keep the wheel covers..... they really look pretty cool...

michaeldterry
02-11-2011, 02:53 PM
Jim, those are wheel covers ..a 50's accessory. Not really correct for judging but I like them and will keep them on. Tom he sure did, next day pulled the engine for an " engine restoration" if you look at his bike you can see the oil pump and lifter blocks are off white...no aluminum for silver paint,the other pieces are parkerized...I'm trying to get mine done for Eustis in two weeks. BTW tried to attach additional pics but files are too large..whats the trick for fixing that?

Granvil - find instructions for resizing your picture files for posting in this thread: http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/showthread.php?2195-Posting-a-picture-on-forum&highlight=posting+photos

Don
02-11-2011, 08:15 PM

I will be looking for your bike in Eustis, once I find it you should be fairly easy to find. also are you aware of the Vintage bike show in Deland on Saturday March 5? no fan fair no trophy just a few old bikes and vintage people. It is held on the north side courthouse parking lot, very convenient if you are wanted. Several Florida Police departments drill teams put on demonstrations that are very impressave on the south side of the parking lot. As for parking your bus I have no clue as to where you could park it in Deland. I will be watching for you at both places. Do you go to Sturgis?

grantracy
02-12-2011, 08:03 AM
I went to Sturgis year before last...will probably go this year. I will be in campground across from fairgrounds in Eustis...went to Deland last year and parked bus in bank parking lot. Will probably take bus to Daytona and leave it for bike week this year and stop in Deland Sunday.

grantracy
02-12-2011, 08:17 AM
Granvil - find instructions for resizing your picture files for posting in this thread: http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/showthread.php?2195-Posting-a-picture-on-forum&highlight=posting+photos
Ok, I tried the instructions..first of all when I right click on photo most of the menu comes up in French( could this be the Prevost influence?) I click edit and it gives me paint/color options but nothing about resizing..am I computer illiterate?

Jim Skiff
02-12-2011, 08:30 AM
Granvil,

I can resize and send back photos for you if you want.

If you are working on a Microsoft machine right click on the image and drag down to "Open With" That should give you a list of programs to choose from
where you can edit (resize) your image.

If you need a telephone walk through let me know.

Jim

grantracy
02-12-2011, 09:33 AM
heres the end result...engine comes out for rebuild/restoration...have two weeks to get it done and back in frame for Eustis meet. Thanks for guidance on pic resizing

truk4u
02-12-2011, 07:42 PM
Nice job Granvil.... I know you must like that pogo stick seat on the hardtail frame, you must be getting old, I've never seen you ride anything except a rigid!:p

grantracy
02-13-2011, 08:45 AM
who knows....maybe someday I will get an electric start.

Will Garner
02-13-2011, 09:34 AM
Had the electric start, wound up kicking it more often than using the electric. I did learn not to kick a Honda like you kick a Harley. They tend to fall over ... and your ankle hurts for a long time after you get up!

Don
02-13-2011, 06:36 PM
who knows....maybe someday I will get an electric start.

I sprained an ankle on my 1951 before someone stole it, bought a 1962 had it until I got my electric start in 1966 and never looked back. as of now I have never sprained a thumb pushing that little button on the right handlebar. in case you are wondering no I do not have the 66 any more traded it in on a 67 the oldest bike that I have now is a 1986 and that as you know is not a vintage bike. All of my equipment lawn mowers Etc are electric start or totally electric. YES I AM LAZY but I do appreciate the effort you guys put into the vintage equipment I do attend steam shows with my 1946 electric start John Deere A . OK I do not want to occupy any more of your time as I know you are on a short time schedule. Best Regards See you in EUSTIS.

grantracy
02-14-2011, 08:27 AM
Will see you there...here is the fleet. The white bike is a 1967

Pete
02-14-2011, 01:13 PM
OK Granvil, now let us see how many Helicopters you have in the stable!

Jon Wehrenberg
02-14-2011, 01:23 PM
Ouch! That question may have hurt a little.

JIM CHALOUPKA
02-14-2011, 04:48 PM
I think I see a bigger garage coming up.

That's a real nice collection!!!

JIM :)

grantracy
02-14-2011, 06:55 PM
at the moment I am chopperless....seems my buddy decided to take a nap when he was flying this past December. He's ok ,chopper is history.

Pete
02-14-2011, 08:25 PM
Granvil, so sorry to hear about the chopper...but glad he is ok.

grantracy
05-04-2011, 05:28 AM
Got the 1945 HD Knucklehead back together

Jerry Winchester
05-04-2011, 07:13 AM
Now that looks sweet.

truk4u
05-04-2011, 07:31 AM
Great job Granvil. At the rate your going, you'll need a bigger hanger for the Hog's.