PDA

View Full Version : Door Wind Noise

TerryM
01-30-2011, 01:23 PM
We have a '99 H3 and we are getting a little wind noise in the right front area. I think it is coming from the door but I haven't been able to pinpoint it yet.

I cleaned the metal frame and the rubber door seal and then applied silicone spray to the seal in the hopes it was dirt causing the door to not seal properly. The noise didn't change.

Any ideas on what to try next?

AmeriStar
01-30-2011, 01:48 PM
If none of the weather stripping around the door has changed or been damaged, the next step would be to check the windshield gasket. If the gasket is in good shape without any cracks or seperations, the next step is the front compartment (spare tire). hopefully you find your problem. All of these are simple fixes, but I can identify with you, wind noise can be very irritating. If all of these steps fail to correct the problem, (as they did in my case) do what my wife says, "drive slower", works every time.

Jon Wehrenberg
01-30-2011, 02:36 PM
While the door is likely the most frequent culprit causing wind noise there are a couple of others not often considered. Depending on how the rear view mirrors are set they may be a factor. If the arm and the mirror are set in a certain way they create a path for air that creates a noise. Similarly, the clearance lights, if they are tipped or not seated exactly square they can create a noise or whistle that varies in pitch with speed.

Kevin's wife is right, but when driving into a strong headwind the people behind you get upset when you have to slow it down to 34.52 MPH to reduce the noise from a 40 MPH headwind.

AmeriStar
01-30-2011, 03:02 PM
Jim - slowing down for us means dropping around 10 mph. Usually back to about 70.
I agree there are many factors that create wind noise. Mirrors are probably the #1 factor, but generally the mirror problem is inherent with the design, and not adjustment.

TerryM
01-30-2011, 03:46 PM
I looked at the windshield gasket and it is checked. The checks looks like surface cracks. I don't see any gaps or deep cracks.

Can I test the gasket by putting blue painters tape over all the gaskets and see if that fixes the wind noise? If it does, then start taking tape off until the wind noise returns.

Is there a better way to test windshield gaskets?

joelselman
01-31-2011, 10:04 AM
The tape works very well in isolating noises. Remember though, you are driving a Prevost and we have a reputation to maintain. Be certain that the color of your tape is appropriate for the design scheme of your motorcoach.

Jon Wehrenberg
01-31-2011, 11:29 AM
The best way to cure the problem and to maintain the Prevost image is to have one of your people seal the entire door and all cracks likely to cause wind noise with clear RTV silicone adhesive after you and your family have gotten on board to begin a trip.

JIM CHALOUPKA
01-31-2011, 02:50 PM
I looked at the windshield gasket and it is checked. The checks looks like surface cracks. I don't see any gaps or deep cracks.

Can I test the gasket by putting blue painters tape over all the gaskets and see if that fixes the wind noise? If it does, then start taking tape off until the wind noise returns.

Is there a better way to test windshield gaskets?

Your leaks are probably around the door!

Method one; With you on board just prior to a test run, have someone seal suspected leak points with blue painters tape. Go for a ride and listen for your disturbing sounds. None heard return and untape areas and repeat the ride until the leaking area is pinpointed.

Method two; Purchase an electronic stethoscope and have someone along for the ride to scope out areas for noise.

When you find the noise you will be challenged to make it quiet/leak free. Some buses are best owned by those that can turn off the hearing aid. :eek:

JIM;)

TerryM
01-31-2011, 03:02 PM
Thanks for suggestions. I'm always looking for a reason to buy a new gadget. I start looking for an electronic stethoscope.

When I do the blue painters tape I'll make my test runs at night on a long and lonesome highway so as not to tarnish the Prevost image.

dreamchasers
01-31-2011, 04:07 PM
A wind leak question to the experts. I think I hear wind noise or wind rustling around my drivers outside mirror. What is the magic touch to handle this (without silicone sealant)?

Hector

Jon Wehrenberg
01-31-2011, 04:34 PM
Hector, I am not an expert, but I would guess that even a small adjustment in how you have the arm positioned so the mirror is still in view, but more forward or backward may make a difference. I think the only solution is trial and error.

For those considering fancy tools I got a $5 stethoscope from Sear and I use the funnel end moving it around areas of suspected leaks or wind noise. Not real fancy but it does isolate the general area of noise. Unfortunaltely wind noise is influenced by other factors than the door fit. What might be silent on some days becomes noisy on others because there is a crosswind component. On our first coach on no wind days I could get the door pretty silent, espcially if I used the air lock to pull it in. But if I had quartering headwinds from the right the door was noisy. Quartering winds from the left did not produce noise. I just quit worrying after a while.

On the current coach it is not as quiet as the first coach, but the door closes and latches so nice I am not going to start messing with it. The first coach door needed a good slam to latch and I don't want to trade lower noise for harder door closing.

Neal&Carla
02-01-2011, 03:45 PM
We developed a significant wind noise from around the door on our 2004 Country Coach recently. The culprit was the microswitch contacts inside the door not activating the upper air lock of the door when the park brake was released. In my bus we can hear the air lock pins latch when the park brake is released and can see the pin down into the door after the air lock activates.
Neal