PDA

View Full Version : Allison Transmission Fluid/oil

dreamchasers
01-28-2011, 08:48 AM
I recently ordered transmission filters in preparation for changing the transmission fluid. I contacted ATSTransmission.com, in Arlington, Texas to order the filters. During the conversation with Robert, the tech support person, he stated that they use motor oil as transmission fluid. He also stated that all off road equipment using the Allison transmissions use motor oil, as the standard Allison recommendation. He said that by replacing the AFT fluid with motor oil in the transmission in my coach, that the transmission would be better lubricated due to the film strength of the motor oil verses the ATF. He stated that the only difference I would notice is when the transmission oil is cold, the transmission would shift firmer. After the oil is warmed up, no difference in shifting. He also mentioned that test they had performed indicated the the transmission operating temperature was reduce 10 - 25 degrees.

Unloading the transmission cooling would be a nice feature. He suggested that I use Delo 400, 20 - 40 motor oil for replacement. The facility is an Allison transmission repair facility.

Does anyone have any more information on this lubrication change?

Hector

ajducote
01-28-2011, 08:54 AM
Hector,

I have never heard of using motor oil on an Allison. The transmission is VERY expensive to replace.
I would ask the dealer for written documentation form Allison that recommends and approves doing this.

I would not consider doing it without some official Allison docs to back it up.

I put TransSynd in mine at 184,000 miles and did 10,000 miles this past summer, including climbing Wolf Creek Pass in Colorado. I am very happy with the results.

My 2 cents, and that is all it is worth.

Orren Zook
01-28-2011, 09:13 AM
Hector,

I'm using Transynd too - I've had very favorable results, lower operating temps and smoother shifting. Here's the link: http://www.allisontransmission.com/service/transynd.jsp

AmeriStar
01-28-2011, 09:20 AM
Hector,

Run the opposide direction away from this shop. Not using an Allison approved oil is simply reckless. Here is a link to the Allison website, an article speaking directly about this subject.
http://www.allisontransmission.com/company/pressreleases/Aug2001/88.jsp

ajducote
01-28-2011, 09:26 AM
Hector,

This link had a lot of info on fluids for Allison. It is a tad confusing. But it looks like Delo oil is CF-2 rated and Allison requires CF-4 rating.

BUT, I could be reading it all wrong. I just rechecked and maybe there is a Delo that is CF-4 approved.

http://www.allisontransmission.com/service/autoapp/172/index.jsp?ThisPage=1

Jon Wehrenberg
01-28-2011, 12:19 PM
Hector, the real answer lies with Allison. Check with them and ask the question. My bet is Transynd is what will be recommended.

I never trust what anyone but the manufacturer says.

dreamchasers
01-28-2011, 04:17 PM
Can anybody recommend a good place on line to purchase Transynd? How many quarts will I need?

Hector

Jon Wehrenberg
01-28-2011, 04:51 PM
Hector, I bought my transynd from the Allison dealer and although it was likely not the cheapest source they had what I needed, including the filters. I cannot say how much is needed without looking it up, but I can say I don't think it all drains so there is a shorter interval for the fluid change when doing the initial Transynd change. I think some ATF remains trapped in the torque converter and in the intercooler so a Transynd conversion for the first time still has some ATF in it hence the change interval.

This is a personal opinion and somewhat verified by the Allison folks when we were at United Engines in OKC. If you review the maintenance schedule published by Allison you will not the change intervals are dependent upon whether you have a retarder or not for example. Since a retarder introduces a lot of heat to the ATF the change intervals are shorter. When I asked the Allison folks if the temperatures are held at 230 or less instead of the 300 as regulated by the transmission computer can the change intervals be extended? A reluctant yes was offered as an asnwer. I do limit transmission temperatures and will extend my interval from 4 years to 5. I am not suggesting this to anyone else but am offering it as something to consider.

If you have not done so I would suggest you take the coach to the Allison dealer and have them put the transmission on the computer. Their connection links your bus to Allison and they can do a diagnostic on the transmission health including a measurment of the clutch disc thickness. I suggest this because Transynd is not cheap and if your transmission is of a condition that some or all of the clutches are nearing the end of their service life then you may wish to stick with ATF until you have the transmission rebuilt. There were some vintages of Allison 6 speed transmissions that had premature clutch failures due to poor clutch material (mine was one of them) and I opted to change rather than rebuild my transmission. My clue was a 3-4 shift that was getting harsh.

Orren Zook
01-28-2011, 04:54 PM
My Liberty has a HD4060R and it holds 37 quarts, I bought two 5 gallon pails from the local Castrol distributor.

jack14r
01-28-2011, 05:42 PM
My 2001 Marathon had 30 weight motor oil in it when I bought it,2-3,000 miles later I changed it to Transynd.It shifted much smoother and ran cooler.I would only use transynd in a allison.

Reagan Sirmons
01-30-2011, 04:51 PM
Hector, It will take about 7 to 8 gallons on the first change out. A lot depends on the amount that is drained. I paid $50 per gallon including labor for my Newell's changeout and a lot more when I changed out the Prevost in Lewisville, Tx because of where it was done. I have heard the conversations about motor oil but The Allison reps at OKC recommended Transynd. It really helped the Newell's shifting. I may be wrong but I do not believe motor oil can withstand the 600 degree heat that can occur on some of the shifts as they were explained to us in the seminar at OKC. I would never do it.
Pres

dreamchasers
01-30-2011, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the replys.

I have purchased Allison Transynd for the fluid change out. I paid $48.34 per gallon at Performance Trucks, Cleveland, Texas.

Thanks again for the replys.

Hector